Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Outdoor wood

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    Saltydog, I don’t believe he’s looking for any 4x4 or 6x6 KDAT. He said cypress or cedar for the posts, and maybe the KDAT boards for the outer tiered layers.
    You wouldn’t use KDAT on the outside of a cedar or cypress post column, that would be wasting money. If he’s talking about a tapered column sitting on a base, that’s a Craftsman look. Best thing is to frame it and wrap it with finished wood like cedar or cypress for staining or AZEK/PVC trim to paint.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    You wouldn’t use KDAT on the outside of a cedar or cypress post column, that would be wasting money. If he’s talking about a tapered column sitting on a base, that’s a Craftsman look. Best thing is to frame it and wrap it with finished wood like cedar or cypress for staining or AZEK/PVC trim to paint.
    Great info. Got that PCole?

My columns are all 1x8 Douglas Fir enclosing a frame with at least a KDAT inner cap, of not the inner post itself. There are also trimmed bases and top ends.

Thanks for the info.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 06-27-2022 at 11:12 AM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Thanks for all the information, guys. I'm going to call 84 lumber tomorrow and see what's available.
    "Mother Nature and Father Time- still undefeated."

Prices are dropping from what I’ve seen, but I’m going to be patient for a little while on replacing my deck.

There was a guy not too long ago who was advertising cedar logs for sale in Belton, so that may be an option. Rough cut them and we can run them through my planer.

We have 24, rough cut 8x8 columns on the exterior of our new house that I had cut at a local sawmill. We had plates fabricated to bolt them to the cement porch. We also sealed them with a cedar stain with UV protectant. Let me know if you want me to text you some photos.

I have 8x8 cedar posts on my front porch now. I sanded them and applied about 4-6 coats of Tung oil on them before we installed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pcole View Post
    Thanks for all the information, guys. I'm going to call 84 lumber tomorrow and see what's available.
    It's been my personal experience that GBS on Hwy 81 has a wider variety and better quality of lumber than 84. I stopped going to 84 years ago after all the disappointment I kept running in to. Hopefully you'll have better luck.
    ~ George Washington

It's been my personal experience that GBS on Hwy 81 has a wider variety and better quality of lumber than 84. I stopped going to 84 years ago after all the disappointment I kept running in to. Hopefully you'll have better luck.
    My experience is 84 goes around collects the trash from everyone else and scraps from construction sites and resell’s it.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

84 used to be the shit back in the 90s
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    84 used to be the shit back in the 90s
    Haven't been to 84 since 84

If you can, use ground contact treated material for the exposed components. It will last longer than the regular treated.

Where's this GBS you speak of?
    "Mother Nature and Father Time- still undefeated."

Quote Originally Posted by Pcole View Post
    Where's this GBS you speak of?
    On Hwy 81 at the corner of Crestview Rd. They are only open during the week and closed on Saturdays, since they cater to the contractors.
    ~ George Washington