Thread: Locking inserts or Weld?

Default Locking inserts or Weld?

I have a gun that a local gunshop screwed up. It's the first gun I bought myself, and really my first rifle. It's what I consider my heirloom gun to go to my son.

Aluminum receiver. Was drilled out twice and on the third time helicoils were put in the holes, against my implicit instructions. The holes are oblong in both the receiver and bases. Bases are trash. Will need to be replaced. Front base was visibly crooked.

pics below for reference:

I sent the gun to the corporate gunsmith at Sportsman's warehouse in Utah after dozens of emails and calls to gunsmiths who are considered at the top of their game. Most didnt want to deal with it. Too much of a risk. The lead guy at Sportsmans said I have two options. Welding, or locking inserts. He does not know an aluminum welder that possesses the degree of skill it will take to ensure a good weld. He feels a locking insert will suffice. He has a smith who was in aerospace machining and he said that he is very confident in the locking inserts and their ability to be a lifetime fix. I brought up dissimilar metal electrolysis and the obvious low thread count on the insert and again was told they are reasonably positive neither will be an issue.

So...

What do ya'll know about locking inserts? Good fix and mash the go button on the locking inserts, or wait for him to find a welder?

amks1.jpg
    amks2.jpg
    amks3.jpg
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Caliber?

I don't love the inserts. I'd weld it.

But, it's easy for me to say because it ain't mine.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Even in aluminum?

270 Sauer 200 in lefty. Finding a replacement receiver is not going to happen. Hard enough to find a sauer 200, let alone one in lefty. Stopped making them in the 80's.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton