Thread: Hydroturf install on fiberglass?

Default Hydroturf install on fiberglass?

I am about to install Hydroturf in a High Tide I just finished redoing. First time working with Hydroturf. I bought the mats with the 3m backing.

Two questions for those of you that have put it down in a HighTide or similar fiberglass boat:

Will the 3m adhesive be sufficient for a good bond on the fiberglass or should I use an additional spray on adhesive or contact cement?

As far as surface prep goes, should I lay it directly to the textured fiberglass surface or lightly sand to knock the texture down some then apply.

Thanks for any info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Hydroturf install on fiberglass?

I used 3M adhesive for hydro turf in a 1503. I prepped the floor by scrubbing with dawn and then wiping down with alcohol. It was holding when I sold it to another member here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by boondoggle; 06-25-2022 at 10:29 AM.
    "The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"

Wash it very well aloe to dry then wipe the floor down with acetone,, I would suggest to get a couple can of the 3m adhesive in the aerosol can just for added adhesion
    "I am a man, not an animal and I always try to conduct myself accordingly. Doing anything less is just giving up and expecting (and being okay) with failure."
    Rubberhead

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpknocker View Post
    Wash it very well aloe to dry then wipe the floor down with acetone,, I would suggest to get a couple can of the 3m adhesive in the aerosol can just for added adhesion
    This, I followed this with seadek on a previous boat and didn’t have issue.