Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need book suggestions

Default Need book suggestions

Have been listening to music forever while im cutting grass allday. Decided to download Audible today to change things up. I have never been a huge reader but have read 8-10 in the last decade. Decided to listen to Lone Survivor again since i enjoyed it the first time I read it. Went ahead and downloaded The Bible which is like 80 hours of listening. My plan is to listen to 1 hour of the Bible everyday but want some other things to listen to as well. I looked back at some of the past threads about books yall suggested. Anything more recent yall have been reading or even better listening to on Audible? Heck maybe even some podcasts to listen to. What says the braintrust? TIA

I'm not sure if it's available to listen to, but we are studying/reading Habits of Grace.

Extreme Ownership
    The Dichotomy of Leadership
    Never Split the Difference

The first two are excellent books on how to be a better human. The third is written by a former FBI hostage negotiator and offers good advice on how to navigate certain situations.

If you’re looking for some fiction that relates to being a Southerner that doesn’t get recommended often, see if they offer Run with the Horsemen by Ferroll Sams.

There are also tons of excellent podcasts.
    Last edited by Tigerbdog; 06-23-2022 at 08:11 PM.

My Dad read this to us as boys. Still as good as I remembered.

83A289D7-321C-4AD1-9E61-E838878F1219.jpg

Might not have it on audible, but reading with your eyeballs is better anyway.

Mark Greaney, Gray Man series for fiction. Black ops stuff

We had to read Never Split the Difference for work a couple years ago, agree it’s a great book for development.

I burned through the Bull Mountain series pretty quickly, fiction about generational families in the GA Mountains, corruption and the law.

What do you like?
    Action: jack reacher or the Borne Novels
    Fantasy like Lord of the Ring?
    SciFi? The Expanse series.

It's been 30 years since I've done books on tape type a deal. But for podcast I enjoy Jocko Wilkins and all of the duck commander stuff and their spinoffs.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Steelin' Ducks is the KRT of suppressors and such.

Quote Originally Posted by DJP View Post
    What do you like?
    Action: jack reacher or the Borne Novels
    Fantasy like Lord of the Ring?
    SciFi? The Expanse series.
    I like war, action, history type stuff. I have read some the Clancy stuff and liked it. Have also read quite a few of seal team type books, Act of Valor, Secrets of seal team six, no easy day are a few.

The art of the deal

By Donald fuckin Trump

Black hawk down was a great book. Way better than the movie and I enjoyed the movie a lot.

I’ve recommended it before, but it’s my favorite. Blood Meridian and basically anything by Cormac McCarthy.

I liked the One Second After trilogy simply for the location it was set in. I like Hemmingway’s shorter stuff. The buffalo book by Rinella wasn’t bad.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    I’ve recommended it before, but it’s my favorite. Blood Meridian and basically anything by Cormac McCarthy.

I liked the One Second After trilogy simply for the location it was set in. I like Hemmingway’s shorter stuff. The buffalo book by Rinella wasn’t bad.
    Your recent recommendation has me wanting to read Suttree,

I’ve got a few I’m working my way through before I order anymore though
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Old man and the boy

“Old Man and the Boy” Robert Ruark. Read It every year.
    “Jack Hayes in the frontier Southwest.” He was the first Texas Ranger
    “Empire of the Summer Moon”. About the Commanchees
    “Days off in Dixie” and “Those were the Days.” A Rutledge. I am fortunate that my parents started buying me his books when I was about 10. Didn’t appreciate it then, but now that I almost 50 I am very thankful to have 20+ first editions.
    “Adventure in the woods and waters of the Lowcountry.” Sherriff J. Ed McTeer. He became Sherriff at 23, after his Father’s death. He writes about huntin, deer and duck, on the islands of my home County, Bft. He mentions Pritchards, Fripp, St. Phillips, Old Island, and others. I remember Sherriff McTeer, but never hunted with him. I was fortunate to hunt with his cronies. Last hunt I went on a one of the true barrier islands was Old Island SW of Fripp and W/NW if Pritchards…93 or 94. They were clearing for the “new” part of Fripp, Ocean Creek. I caught the tail end of it, but I am thankful I was able to do for a while. Mtg up at the hill on a cold November morning with dog boxes mounted on the bows of beat up whalers and McKee crafts. I know the Lowcountry changed long before my lifetime, but what I’ve seen in my lifetime is bananas.

“Old Man and the Boy” is my favorite.

Since you like military writings, check out Marine Sniper. It’s about Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock. The Vietnamese called him White Feather. He’s likely the greatest sniper our country has ever had.

Hue by Mark Bowden.

Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes is a novel of the Vietnam War. He was a lieutenant there in ‘69 and its an engrossing read.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerbdog View Post
    Since you like military writings, check out Marine Sniper. It’s about Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock. The Vietnamese called him White Feather. He’s likely the greatest sniper our country has ever had.
    Enjoyed this one as well. Amazing the shit he went through during and after the war.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post

McCarthy paints more pictures with a sentence fragment than other writers do on entire paragraphs. I need to read blood meridian for sure. Supposed to be his best.

"Against All Odds" is a very good WW II book. True stories.