Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Golf set recommendations

Default Golf set recommendations

I've never really played more than a few times a year but life is settling down a bit and I want to get out more often. I don't want to be hindered by my clubs and figured it's time to upgrade my 20 year old, off the shelf set.

I always like to have more than I will ever need with tools or recreational equipment, within reason. I hate to buy twice. That being said, any pointers from the pros on what I should be looking for, Some of the considerations, things to avoid, etc?

Secondly I have a 12-year-old who has expressed interests and want to get him a junior set. Any thoughts there?
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

Get fitted, the new technology is tough to beat. I’m digging the Srixon ZX-7s, forgiving but I can still bend the ball when I want to.

Spend $10K more on guns. You can thank me now or later.
    Kill big, kill often

That made me chuckle. That's always solid advice
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

100% go get fitted.

Quote Originally Posted by murraywader View Post
    Get fitted, the new technology is tough to beat. I’m digging the Srixon ZX-7s, forgiving but I can still bend the ball when I want to.

This. Well worth it, especially if plan to stick with it. Just make sure which ever brand irons you decide on, that there's not a more economical model. Meaning, many brands make similar versions of their clubs all the way up to their "Pro" sticks.

Get fitted for a set of ping g series irons. Doesn’t have to be the latest offering in the series. I say them because they’re forgiving as all get out. If you get serious about it you’ll upgrade eventually anyways. Driver wood hybrid. Whichever brand looks coolest to you. They all do the same thing. Everyone makes good wedges. Titleist SM series have treated me well. Get a nice putter. They never wear out
    Last edited by BuckyTownsend; 06-23-2022 at 05:30 PM.

Get you 12 year a full size set. Jim furyk had clubs that were too long for him and look how his swing turned out

Good stuff. Thanks, all. We'll go tomorrow to get fitted and take it from there
    -Samuel Adams

Get fitted once again.

I am a mizuno guy. I love their irons and wedges.

[QUOTE=BuckyTownsend;2994649]Get fitted for a set of ping g series irons. Doesn’t have to be the latest offering in the series. I say them because they’re forgiving as all get out. If you get serious about it you’ll upgrade eventually anyways. Driver wood hybrid. Whichever brand looks coolest to you. They all do the same thing. Everyone makes good wedges. Titleist SM series have treated me well. Get a nice putter. They never wear out[/

After trying most of the major brands, I hit the G710s the best during my fitting. Luckily the guy I was working with let me hit the G410s and then explained the differnces in price and tech. Besides losing a few yards when hit pure, I was unable to tell a real difference. Saved me a good bit of money by purchasing the 410s.

I’ll be the contrarian here. If you don’t have a consistent swing, just go buy some mid level game improvement irons from the store in the flex that fits your swing speed. Once you get consistent then go get fitted to dial it in. They will tell you everyone should get fitted, but if you are consistent they can’t really match the equipment to your game.

I kinda agree with Remy.. I mean going through a real fitting process, just to have a lesson at some point if you do... or develop a different swing in a few months after watching youtube vids seems counterproductive. I mean if you've played enough to have some semblance of a swing then get fitted.

Get your kid fitted. Make sure their clubs will make a positive impact on their game.

You get some stiff shafts and woods to match. Play a could dozen rounds then decide if you want to get fitted and take it to the next level.

Just my humble opinion.
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Tekton Game Calls

843-290-9569

Ok. That's how oblivious I am. I assumed fitting meant measuring the distance between my t-Rex arms and the ground and getting me into the appropriate lengths. Guess there is a lot more to it and I don't have a consistent swing yet, not with all clubs anyway. Some I have practiced with a lot more than others. Definitely some lessons and/or training aids are in my near future. That being the case, maybe hold off for a bit?

Joey, the 12 year old has never touched a club. Still get him fitted?
    Last edited by everlast; 06-23-2022 at 09:14 PM.
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by everlast View Post
    Ok. That's how oblivious I am. I assumed fitting meant measuring the distance between my t-Rex arms and the ground and getting me into the appropriate lengths. Guess there is a lot more to it and I don't have a consistent swing yet, not with all clubs anyway. Some I have practiced with a lot more than others. Definitely some lessons and/or training aids are in my near future. That being the case, maybe hold off for a bit?

Joey, the 12 year old has never touched a club. Still get him fitted?
    Quite honestly, neither one of you has the stamina to get fitted. I probably took 200-300 swings when I got fitted. If you’re not used to swinging a lot, you’ll be useless for fitting after 50 swings back to back

Get some lessons. It doesn't matter what brand or technology the clubs have if you don't know how to swing them. And find a good instructor for your lessons. Look for someone who is PGA class A certified.
    Last edited by duckchoppin; 06-23-2022 at 11:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by duckchoppin View Post
    Get some lessons. It doesn't matter what brand or technology the clubs have if you don't know how to swing them. And find a good instructor for your lessons. Look for someone who is PGA class A certified.
    didn't realize how tough that would be. Using pga.com/coaches, closet one is 40 mins. None in lex. wondering if everyone who has that cert would be registered on this site? Either way will start calling around today.
    -Samuel Adams

how large is your 12 year old, strength wise and height, that'll kinda matter, not all kids are the same.. has he played any sports, or is coordinated? I might have a set of irons sitting around.

what are your old irons? 20 years ain't that bad.. with them, unless they're just ugly. Woods, yeah, they've come a long way since then. I still have my first oversized driver in the tool box of my truck, I can still crank it. I know it's thirty years old.

But there's not one thing wrong with exuding coolness.. but I also have seen plenty people buy shit that they just don't need or will benefit from. But does that really matter.

I'd call Matt at Camden CC if you're looking for something for your kid. I can't stress how good or cool he is with kids, he won't give them too much info, and people drive from all over to see him. He might have a couple hours open, they're just half hour lessons.