Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mater Patch

Default Mater Patch

Is coming in… all 450 plants. Mix of Cherokee Purples, Parks Whoppers, Super Delicious, Better Boys, Celebrity, doz or so Black Indigo cherries.

Todays haul, most are very large, in the 18-25 oz range.
    BBBEF9A0-8CAA-44C7-B53F-01F25ADB88D9.jpg

A 32.2 oz’r….. My oldest is quite proud of.
    EC8137C4-BD41-44E3-8DDD-019A4A3AE902.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Damsun.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Lovely. I tried out some some black prince tomatoes this year. So far they're just like a smaller Cherokee, still like the Cherokee purples better. Then some better boys and Marion's. I think you've posted yours on here before, garden. I can't imagine 450 plants though, damn. I did a hundred once at the farm. The job that threw me into working for an angry French trained chef was on a farm. I suckered tomatoes three straight days, like 36 hours.. the man offered me a job wearing a half tux and being paid in two nights more then I made for a week on the farm. I took it.
    Last edited by Highstrung; 06-22-2022 at 09:56 AM.

In my opinion there ain't nothing like a home grown tomato.. I'm getting ready to eat some pie before I head out to the course.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Lovely. I tried out some some black prince tomatoes this year. So far they're just like a smaller Cherokee, still like the Cherokee purples better. Then some better boys and Marion's. I think you've posted yours on here before, garden. I can't imagine 450 plants though, damn. I did a hundred once at the farm. The job that threw me into working for an angry French trained chef was on a farm. I suckered tomatoes three straight days, like 36 hours.. the man offered me a job wearing a half tux and being paid in two nights more then I made for a week on the farm. I took it.
    Haha.

Labor of love, maybe. My way of teaching the offspring to work hard, plus they make a few bucks. When I was a chap, I grew peanuts and pop took me to town with a Radio Flyer, a couple pots of boiled peanuts, and a stack of bags. I pulled that wagon around Conway for years. Radio Flyer caught wind and sent me a new wagon, but by then I had purchased a 3 wheel bike and would strap the pot under the seat. But that was the 80's and mama ain't dropping off her herd in town for the day.

Question, though. Planning to try a few Cherokee Carbons next year. Supposed to be the flavor of Purples, but larger.
    Go Tigers!

Several years back an old farmer around here, Baynard Boykin walked me through saving some green ones.. he's in his mid 90s now, smart man. It involved some old paper boxes and newspapers.. placing them in the box and layering them with paper, and placing them under your bed or something. I had a few turn last year doing it, but to be honest with the mild fall, and beginning of winter I never really had to.

Quote Originally Posted by SaltMuck View Post
    Haha.

Labor of love, maybe. My way of teaching the offspring to work hard, plus they make a few bucks. When I was a chap, I grew peanuts and pop took me to town with a Radio Flyer, a couple pots of boiled peanuts, and a stack of bags. I pulled that wagon around Conway for years. Radio Flyer caught wind and sent me a new wagon, but by then I had purchased a 3 wheel bike and would strap the pot under the seat. But that was the 80's and mama ain't dropping off her herd in town for the day.

Question, though. Planning to try a few Cherokee Carbons next year. Supposed to be the flavor of Purples, but larger.

I haven't tried them, I will though. I also do a few of the sweeter small ones, for my treat when I sit or work out there. They rarely hit a salad.

My dad was always better boys and big boys growing up.. that was my work to. He'd send me to Mulberry plantation once a year to grab manure in the back of my yota.. so he could "add to the soil". The final year we planted a ton on the farm, we really had a conversation about taking them to the farmers market that had just started in Camden.. ended up telling anyone we were kinda close to to go in and pick whatever.

Planted black prince as well, not really a fan. Pretty bland tasting compared to others I planted. The black krim is a different story though. Berkeley tie dyes are the most flavorful this year for me, surpassing the CPs hands down but this seems to be a great year for them

I don't eat tomatoes, but do grow some for my wife. She cusses me if pick any before they're fully ripe... Something about ripe on the vine has much better taste. Any truth to that? My grandmom always let them finish in the window sill.

I wish my maters looked like that. Dang vines are 7' tall but not much fruit. I need some bee's I think
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I hear that too much nitrogen will make your plants grow like crazy and fail to produce much fruit. Maybe that could be an issue with yours.
    Last edited by Drylok; 06-22-2022 at 10:48 AM.

Several years back an old farmer around here, Baynard Boykin walked me through saving some green ones.. he's in his mid 90s now, smart man. It involved some old paper boxes and newspapers.. placing them in the box and layering them with paper, and placing them under your bed or something. I had a few turn last year doing it, but to be honest with the mild fall, and beginning of winter I never really had to.
    I did that one year as a kid when we got an early frost. Was lucky enough to have them slowly ripen enough for the bunch to last most of the Winter.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by YoungBuckTX View Post
    I don't eat tomatoes, but do grow some for my wife. She cusses me if pick any before they're fully ripe... Something about ripe on the vine has much better taste. Any truth to that? My grandmom always let them finish in the window sill.
    They do taste better but if you wait until they absolutely perfectly ripe, the birds will peck them an hour before you go to pick them. Never fails.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungBuckTX View Post
    No, pick when they first start to turn. If you want to prevent them from splitting or minimize bug/bird/critter loss, pick them early especially in this heat. A thunderstorm followed by 90* wx will split them quick if they are ripening on the vine

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    They do taste better but if you wait until they absolutely perfectly ripe, the birds will peck them an hour before you go to pick them. Never fails.
    Damn a mockingbird!

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    I wish my maters looked like that. Dang vines are 7' tall but not much fruit. I need some bee's I think
    Too much pre-plant N it sounds like. Stop feeding them, top them out and hope you can slow them down. Top them by breaking off the top bud, just leaving one leaf so you can shade the fruit under it some.

Bees don't do much for tomatoes, they are pollinated by wind and pollen dropping to lower buds. This year, I have seen 1 bee feeding in my patch if that helps prove my point or anything.
    Last edited by SaltMuck; 06-22-2022 at 12:12 PM.
    Go Tigers!

Not to me, but I sell most of mine. I pick when they are cane-breaking or pink, that's the only way to pack them without damaging them. 100% of the supermarket tomatoes are picked green and I can't tell the difference in one I picked ripe and one picked when pink and allowed to ripen at room temp. Plus, like trash said, any ripe/almost ripe tomato will split with a rainstorm or heavy irrigation event.

Oh, and never, ever put a tomato in the refrigerator unless you like them mealy.
    Go Tigers!

They might taste better if you picked them when they are ripe.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Whaler_Dave View Post
    Damn a mockingbird!
    Damn right. I had mockingbirds get in mine one year. Waited till dark covered the plants with bird netting. Heard the first one start squawking while I was in bed. Walked outside and had one tangled in the net. Crushed his little bird skull between my thumb and index finger then hung his corpse upside down in front of the plants. Had two more mockingbirds the next morning. Gave them the same treatment.

Got tired of waiting on the rest to get the balls to come back so I just started killing every mockingbird I see on sight. My life has been better for it.

Damn. We need more farmers like you Tater.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.