Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Legality of dispatching injured deer

You don’t need a police report in SC for a deer collision.

Black Bart's gone?
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Quit trying to stir up shit, ya damn rabble rouser.

I've kilt a deer in a person's front yard with a pistol without asking. And left it laying there cause I was headed to work and didn't have a gambrel at the office.

We cool now?

Yes.

Whew.

close call
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    If you're in the city limits, it's most likely illegal to discharge a firearm (at least in most cities)... but you'd have to get caught.

If you want a police report to file with an insurance claim, you'd best call the City or County law enforcement. Technically, they are the ones authorized to shoot an injured animal, but since it requires them to file a report for discharging their firearm, they'd most likely tell you to go ahead. The same with DNR.

As you can see on this thread, nobody here cares about the legalities. Personally, if I was able to process the venison at home, I'll do the deed and not look back. If I needed a police report for insurance, I'd wait until the officer arrived and then ask him/her if they wanted to do it or if they'd rather I did. If it was going to take more than a few minutes for them to arrive, I'd request permission to shoot it before they got there to put the animal out of its misery.

If I recall, the last time I was in a similar position, I called DNR to make sure there was no issue of me taking the deer myself (out of season). I was told to dispatch it, if needed, and since I had a hunting license it was fine for me to take the carcass. I didn't need a police report since someone else hit the deer and it was their problem.

https://www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/deer/faqsdeer.html (See #2 on this link... also quoted below)
    Thank you for this, Woodie.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    You don’t need a police report in SC for a deer collision.
    That's good to know. 'Knock on wood', I've never had need for such a report... although my wife almost hit a cow once on Midway Rd.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

You need a police report for a cow. And a picture of an ear tag and the cow because NO ONE is going to claim it. In fact, you’d be better off to tell your insurance company you hit a deer. A really big deer.

I was leaving work a few years back on 2nd shift. As I pulled out I saw a good friend pulled over with 2 other cars. I pulled in as I watched said friend take a yeller handle across the deers neck. About that time a woman screamed a peeled out in her car. Turns out a Mexican had hit a young buckling and broken 3 of his legs. The woman in the car was saying she was gonna call animal control but my buddy wasn’t having any of it. This was also right after midnight from 2nd shift. After the woman left the Mexicans that had hit the deer loaded it up and off they went. There wasn’t any saving that deer. If you have a responsible way to not let the animal suffer then by all means dispatch it quickly.

I miss my buddy though. He was killed a year later in a car accident at 27.
    Quote Originally Posted by squatty View Post
    R. Not
    So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness. —Colossians 2:6–7

The neck is the wrong place. Insert blade in the armpit and give it some windshield wiper action. All over in seconds.

Gotta go balls deep though. No fucking around

Quote Originally Posted by Hoggin View Post
    The neck is the wrong place. Insert blade in the armpit and give it some windshield wiper action. All over in seconds.
    Agreed. Can feel the heart beat and theres where ya go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22oz claw hammer. Works on lots too I hear.

Hilarious.

I tried to help one out of the road one time, unsure of the severity of her injuries at first. An older gentleman had clipped her, but she ended up having some head trauma and wasn't going to make it. He was kind of upset. The mistake I made was not just shooting her in the road to start with. She kicked me right in the ankle. Left quite a mark. I limped to the car, grabbed the pistol, shot her and left the old man standing there with her to go ice my darn ankle.

Gotta go balls deep though. No fucking around
    These are separately and together some real life good fucking advice.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post

Probably got that tid bit at the "One Buck Every Ten Years Bow Hunters Gassociation"
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post

Who's gonna swing it for you? You ain't that big
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by PharmHunter View Post
    Hilarious.

I tried to help one out of the road one time, unsure of the severity of her injuries at first. An older gentleman had clipped her, but she ended up having some head trauma and wasn't going to make it. He was kind of upset. The mistake I made was not just shooting her in the road to start with. She kicked me right in the ankle. Left quite a mark. I limped to the car, grabbed the pistol, shot her and left the old man standing there with her to go ice my darn ankle.
    Pretty sure that was one of my prize does.