Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New food plot

Default New food plot

Hey, I'm looking for some help here.... basically assume I know nothing about planting, plots, agriculture, etc. I'll take all the advice I can get.

This is the driveway at my new house. I want to plant either side for wildlife but mainly deer. I probably won't hunt it. Logistically it is not really safe for a rifle....and I'm too obsessed with mine to shoot them anyway.
    My main goal is aesthetics, feeding some deers, and not have to mow it every 4-5 days like the yard.

I think it is about .8 acres to be planted.

I do have a small tractor, bush hog, disc, and a old single row plow. I also have a sprayer and walk behind spreader.

I would think my first step is to kill all the crap there now, but that may be wrong.

What do y'all suggest for steps and what to plant?

Thanks!!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Please support March of Dimes

www.marchforbabies.org/MadelineRai

Durana mixed with oats sept20-oct1. Manage for durana starting spring of 23

What he said. Perfect for clover. Soul test and get PH right
    80-20 Genaration

Sw soul test results were through the roof
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Lol

Deer already eat grass. You are good.

I agree. Do a soil test and get the ph right then try to get some clover established.

Hopefully, this screenshot will show up.

So here are some results of the soil test....I admittedly don't know what I'm looking at.

Do I need 2100#s of lime for an acre? Or what other fertilizers do I need?

TIA.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Yes your ph is 5.4. If you can get it up to 6.0 that will be good enough. I would put about 10 bags of pellet lime on it. Unless you can have someone come spread it. You have sufficient potassium in your soil but are low in phosphorus. I would plant some oats or wheat with some durana clover, Put down 4 bags of triple 19 fertilizer along with 10 bags of pellet lime. Don’t plant clover to deep and you will have good results.

The hell with pellet lime. Have Southern States drive that bad ass spreader up that driveway throwing lime out at least 2000 lbs per acre.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by camotoon60 View Post
    Yes your ph is 5.4. If you can get it up to 6.0 that will be good enough. I would put about 10 bags of pellet lime on it. Unless you can have someone come spread it. You have sufficient potassium in your soil but are low in phosphorus. I would plant some oats or wheat with some durana clover, Put down 4 bags of triple 19 fertilizer along with 10 bags of pellet lime. Don’t plant clover to deep and you will have good results.
    You realize that 10 bags at 40 lb per bag is 400lbs right? OP, you’d need 40 bags of lime to correct the pH. You’d probably be good on lime for several years. SS isn’t coming out for 0.8 acres unless they ream you on the price (I used to manage a SS location).

For fertilizer, use 0-20-20 (6-7 bags) if you can locate it or use 0-46-0 (4 bags) and 0-0-60 (2 bags) to get the units you need. Adding any non-legumes, apply at least 50 units of nitrogen.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

I've used solu cal and penington fast acting lime in the past they require roughly 9 bags per acre to raise the ph a full point. It's going to hard to find someone to deliver a ton of ag lime. And I would go with salt mucks fertilizer recommendations. Nitrogen will only feed grass and weeds

Quote Originally Posted by SaltMuck View Post
    You realize that 10 bags at 40 lb per bag is 400lbs right? OP, you’d need 40 bags of lime to correct the pH. You’d probably be good on lime for several years. SS isn’t coming out for 0.8 acres unless they ream you on the price (I used to manage a SS location).

For fertilizer, use 0-20-20 (6-7 bags) if you can locate it or use 0-46-0 (4 bags) and 0-0-60 (2 bags) to get the units you need. Adding any non-legumes, apply at least 50 units of nitrogen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntinjunkie View Post
    I've used solu cal and penington fast acting lime in the past they require roughly 9 bags per acre to raise the ph a full point. It's going to hard to find someone to deliver a ton of ag lime. And I would go with salt mucks fertilizer recommendations. Nitrogen will only feed grass and weeds
    So, with SaltMucks fertilizer rec's, I still need to add lime somehow, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by camotoon60 View Post
    You want a 0 nitrogen fertilizer so it doesn’t encourage weeds and grass. Clover will make its own nitrogen
    80-20 Genaration

Quote Originally Posted by Sheep View Post
    So, with SaltMucks fertilizer rec's, I still need to add lime somehow, correct?
    Yes. The advantages of the fast acting lime are that it raises ph faster than pelletized lime and you need fewer bags. The only downside of the fast acting lime is cleaning the spreader when it gets wet it turns into slime.

You’re letting these guys over complicate a driveway food plot that you aren’t going to hunt. This is what I would do…..burn down what is there….spread your lime….disc it in good when you think you’ve got it good disc again, clover likes a very well prepared seed bed, in between discing passes I would spread the fertilizer (100lbs to the acre of 0-20-20 or something close should be sufficient)….spread your seed and cover. Let’s not forget that clover grows anywhere and with little to know help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

.8 of an acre of clover may be more than you need. That's enough to grow 3.2 tons of browse.

I would plant the west side with clover and the east side with something else.

Last edited by Catdaddy; 07-26-2022 at 07:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    .8 of an acre of clover may be more than you need. That's enough to grow 3.2 tons of browse.

And now it's complicated

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post

I have a spot about that size that I'm thinking about trying a mixture of clover and chicory this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntinjunkie View Post
    And now it's complicated
    Sunflowers on one side with that power line may be an option for a 2 man dove shoot