Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Benne

Default Benne

Long time lurker - I think this is my first post. I planted benne for the first time this year and figured some of y’all might benefit from what I’ve learned.

My main reason for planting benne was I wanted to plant something that deer wouldn’t mess with. It’s also very drought tolerant. The goal was to plant about 5 acres for dove hunting.

1) Read this cover to cover numerous times:

https://baylor.agrilife.org/files/20...rguide2008.pdf

2) Prepped the seed bed by mowing the oats/crimson clover, burning, spreading 200 lbs of 17-17-17 per acre, disking, disking again, then a final pass with with the Perfecta.

30F802A7-C4F2-4775-B615-33F027EA5491.jpg

https://youtube.com/shorts/rG9T9QtEsb0?feature=share

3) Sprayed Dual Magnum pre-emergent herbicide. There are no herbicides labeled for use on benne in SC, but one of the helpful guys at Sesaco told me to spray Dual at 21.3 oz/acre. Benne is very sensitive to most herbicides, so the application needs to be accurate and with the right soil conditions. You don’t want Dual in the root zone while benne is germinating. I was very dry in May so had to wait for rain. Finally got an inch, which allowed me to spray. I then had to wait for another rain event to incorporate the Dual before I could plant. After 1.4” 5 days after spraying, I was ready to plant.

4) Calibrated the drill. I use a Great Plains 706NT with 7.5” spacing and blocked off every other seed cup to get 15” spacing. I was hoping to plant about 8 lbs per acre with a germination of 84% (on the seed tag). I used the large seed box and set it to plant about an inch deep. Soil temperatures were between 70-80 degrees, which is essential for good germination.

5) planting was the east part - until my drill broke after 4.1 acres. Still not fixed, so I ended up with less acreage than I planned. Oh well.

6) 3 days after planting, I sprayed glyphosate to kill any weeds that had germinated before the Dual activated.

1 week after planting.

DAE4B20A-85A1-4788-9832-E6DD8DA280FB.jpg

2 weeks (today:

65ECC07F-CEE5-4F33-8623-B919A7AEECBB.jpg
    Last edited by cutman; 06-12-2022 at 06:05 PM.

Congratulations. On your first post and the benne.
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

Looks really well done. Good luck. Benne makes one hell of a dove field. Looking forward to seeing the field mature. I hope y’all wear em out!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

15” is too narrow. The birds don’t like it that thick and you will need a damn good dog.

Listen to that guy. He's got a piebald dove for an avatar.

I agree. I was hoping to do 22” rows but was an idiot and did math wrong while planning. Nothing I can do about it now. I figure I can mow strips if I need to with my DR mower.

My dad planted benne years ago and I remember it being pretty bare once the leaves fell off late season. I’ll see how it goes this year and adjust accordingly.

I’d be happy with what you have done there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a nicely maintained field. Keep us updated as it comes along...

Thanks for posting. Very informative! I look forward to your updates!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the great informative post. I'll be following closely to see how it turns out.

I was confused on the part about not wanting the Dual in the root zone while germinating. You waited for rain to plant which would, it seems to me, incorporate the herbicide into the root zone. Can you help me understand that? Use small words because herbicide application has really humbled me.

Also, from what I've read about Benne, there are "shattering" and "non-shattering" varieties. What type of seeds did you plant?

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Thanks for the great informative post. I'll be following closely to see how it turns out.

I was confused on the part about not wanting the Dual in the root zone while germinating. You waited for rain to plant which would, it seems to me, incorporate the herbicide into the root zone. Can you help me understand that? Use small words because herbicide application has really humbled me.
    Dual can be applied many different ways - pre-plant incorporated, post-plant pre-emergent, and post-emergent. I have always used it as as post-plant pre-emergent, but the Sesaco advisor specifically warned me against that with benne. Apparently, if the little benne plant is growing up and has to go through the Dual, a lot of crop damage can occur.

By waiting for the rain to incorporate the Dual before planting, I basically planted above the Dual barrier. So if the herbicide was 1.5” deep, the seed was sitting 0.5” above it. The hardest part about planting benne is getting a good stand, and it’s hard to get a good stand with herbicides involved because of how sensitive the plant is.

I do think this way of spraying decreased the effectiveness of the Dual. I’ve already got yellow nutsedge popping up, and normally the Dual would keep it at bay for another 2 weeks at least.

Looks great to me so far. Keep posting pictures and updates as it progresses. I hope you have a great season.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Listen to that guy. He's got a piebald dove for an avatar.
    Looks like somebody’s pet parakeet.
    \"If they don\'t hatch, they don\'t fly south\"

Last Benne field I shot over was in Gilbert and barn burner didn't come close to describing it. I had my limit real quick and spent the rest of the afternoon drinking beer and watching folks burn ammo and have fun.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Love some benne! And yes, the deer do too! Last time i tried to plant it was about 5 acres worth. Looked great, then over night, poof she gone!
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Quote Originally Posted by fro View Post
    Love some benne! And yes, the deer do too! Last time i tried to plant it was about 5 acres worth. Looked great, then over night, poof she gone!
    I am spraying sulfur around my fields. Does a good job of keeping the deer out. You can spray it right over the top of sunflowers.

What’s wrong with y’all?….

Welcome
    Last edited by Baggy; 06-13-2022 at 03:09 PM.

Did you spray remaining weeds with glyphosate after planting due to not being able to apply a post-emergent to benne?
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntin Ace View Post
    You are exactly right sc sportsman

You can spray clethodim over the top of it for grass issues. It usually shades out the competition fairly well once it gets up.