Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lake Jocassee

High as Hartwell is I imagine Jocassse is full to the brim as well. There are a few places you’ll be able to find but you’ll need to get out for a early ish start on the lake if you want to get a each spot. A radar app is your friend. Like mentioned the thunderstorms form in distance you just can’t see bc of mountains many times until they’re bearing down on you. Secure your boat at night. I’ve seen storms roll through there in the afternoon and sink boats at the dock at the ramp. Find the suspension bridge upper arm of the lake. Park walk across it. Swim in pools just above that big bridge. Water much cooler than the lake. Cool spot. Pm me I can point you in right direction if you want.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by jws View Post
    We'll have kids so beaches, waterfalls will definitely be on the agenda. Appreciate the insight!
    Take them to Burrell’s Ford in the morning. USFS is hosting a fishing Derby for the kiddos. They WILL catch fish.

The night bass fishing is pretty good, Brandon and I used to go up and fish dark worms on Texas rigs and he caught some really nice fish in the 6-7 lbs range, and hardly anyone out doing that. As everyone says watch the storms it’s kinda crazy rough that place gets.

You should be good at the cabins on boat ramp and trailer storage but check. You can reserve trailer spots in advance in the main lot and show up at whatever time if not. Good tip on storms in the big water. Can get really nasty late in the afternoons and no way around getting to the hill. Plenty of jumping rocks and waterfalls. Make sure you have music downloaded. No service in the fingers.

Only a damned fool tests the treacherous waters of Jocassee in June.

I've caught alot of bass on 1/4 to 1/2 ounce shakey heads with a black Zoom trick worm. This time of year, fishing main lake points in 20' to 25' of water. you don't feel many of the strikes, just gets mushy or heavy. Spots, Largemouth and Smallies!!
    Tight Lines

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Only a damned fool tests the treacherous waters of Jocassee in June.

Ya' gotta wear your water wings...
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Seemed like trout was out of the question without downriggers so made do with bass. Caught majority on spoons and crankbaits. Did manage to catch one on a spook. Pretty much all the same size.

288871459_10229311319275852_7556222361768385756_n.jpg

Screenshot 2022-07-07 101433.jpg

289038818_10229311519000845_5983439840705829027_n.jpg

20220626_074809.jpg

20220630_132011.jpg

20220626_200105.jpg

20220629_085247.jpg
    Last edited by jws; 07-07-2022 at 09:21 AM.

Good stuff!
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Tekton Game Calls

843-290-9569

How were the cabins? Worth the rental?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    now Hogan can fuck off on here all day and call it work, thanks!

Anybody got any insight on the boat-in campsites? Are there more desirable ones than others or are they all pretty decent?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by mhogancu View Post
    How were the cabins? Worth the rental?
    The cabins were really nice. They aren't very spacious but definitely a cool spot. You get your own boat ramp and parking area that locks at night. There is a dock/beach you can keep your boat at during the day. I didn't leave mine in the water due to charging the batteries nightly. The larger cabins seem to stay booked except during the winter months. Its one rocky ass lake so I'm glad I didn't take my big boat.

Not a lot a sand and pluff mud in the mountains, big guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
    Be mindful of the rogue afternoon thunderstorm. They hit that place on the regular and come outta absolute nowhere....
    Little P got his ass rocked up there one day. Storms from nowhere and all the nuts think the landing is theirs. No courtesy at the landing.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Not a lot a sand and pluff mud in the mountains, big guy.
    No doubt. Reminds me of Beaver Lake when I go out to the Ozarks.

Nice. That's a hard lake to bass fish. Yes...you've got to get deep for trout.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    Anybody got any insight on the boat-in campsites? Are there more desirable ones than others or are they all pretty decent?
    Here is a recent video I came across on the boat in campsites. It appears they have reworked and improved several sites. I went several years ago and got a site that was the last one to be rented so I'm sure it was the least desirable and it was nothing to write home about. It was literally an old road bed cut through the mountain and you camped on the road bed. Straight up and straight down otherwise. It was a bitch anchoring at the site too because it was a bluff rock wall, and hard rock bottom 40' deep a foot off the wall. No way for the anchors to bite and the assholes camping would plow in and out of the campsites all day long which would bash the boat on the cliff. Finally had to anchor out in about 80' of water and swim back and forth to the boat. But not every site was like that.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    Just make sure you're in the camping zone. Or pack yo shat up really quick at daylight.

JWS I fish Jocassee pretty regular with the bass clubs I'm in. Shakey head between 1/8-1/4oz. with a green variation of Zoom soft plastics, I prefer Green Pumpkin Magic or Green pumpkin magic with red flake. Make long cast to points around islands and fish slow, I mean really slow. Also, don't be afraid of a drop shot. I usually fish it with a 1/4-3/8oz cylindrical weight with a 6-8lb florocarbon leader. I've caught some smallies up there as well as big largemouth on drop shot. They love the morning dawn or anything pink/purple in 6". Its going to be crowded as stated before. I'd fish 150yds away from some of the waterfalls and work your way to them. That fresh water coming down bringing oxygen and nutrients will keep fish near by. Its best to make long cast because of visibility, these fish can be very wary. If you get a chance run up toward bad creek reservoir when they are generating that can be great fishing. Also run up the toxaway river on the NC side go up into north carolina and cast a texas rig creature bait on all the overhanging trees. You'll have fun!!!

Quote Originally Posted by scoutlover View Post
    Here is a recent video I came across on the boat in campsites. It appears they have reworked and improved several sites. I went several years ago and got a site that was the last one to be rented so I'm sure it was the least desirable and it was nothing to write home about. It was literally an old road bed cut through the mountain and you camped on the road bed. Straight up and straight down otherwise. It was a bitch anchoring at the site too because it was a bluff rock wall, and hard rock bottom 40' deep a foot off the wall. No way for the anchors to bite and the assholes camping would plow in and out of the campsites all day long which would bash the boat on the cliff. Finally had to anchor out in about 80' of water and swim back and forth to the boat. But not every site was like that.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    That's great info. I'm on site 10 so I don't think the boat anchoring situation will be too bad. Thanks for posting that
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.