Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lake Jocassee

Default Lake Jocassee

Will be there in a couple weeks. Never been there before. How the hell you catch a fish here? Trout would be cool since they aren't down here in the lowcountry.

Be mindful of the rogue afternoon thunderstorm. They hit that place on the regular and come outta absolute nowhere....
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Quote Originally Posted by jws View Post
    Will be there in a couple weeks. Never been there before. How the hell you catch a fish here? Trout would be cool since they aren't down here in the lowcountry.
    Trout, troll Sutton spoons deep near the dam 50+ Feet.

Get to the landing early. There's only one to my knowledge and it turns into a zoo.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

most of the trout fisherman on that lake troll deep with downriggers for trout, and they catch some big ones, not sure about other species, im guessing deep also and the water is very clear

yes i think devils fork state park is the only access, and I have went there before to find they are closed due to being at full capacity

We're staying at one of the cabins for a week so we'll be at the state park. I'm assuming they'll let me tie up to the dock so I can get going early. Not sure if I can configure a down rigger on my xpress but possibly could configure a planer with a release.

We're staying at one of the cabins for a week so we'll be at the state park. I'm assuming they'll let me tie up to the dock so I can get going early. Not sure if I can configure a down rigger on my xpress but possibly could configure a planer with a release.
    If you mean the dock at the landing, I do not think you can just leave your boat tied up. My understanding is that on weekends, you better have your boat it the water no later than 8 or you wont be getting on the lake.

If I were you I'd call them and clarify. We have also been turned away because they were full.

They have a dock for the villas. Not talking about the boat ramp.

Only ever had trouble putting in there on holidays. Staying there for the week, you'll have no trouble launching.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
    Be mindful of the rogue afternoon thunderstorm. They hit that place on the regular and come outta absolute nowhere....
    This....I cannot express enough the absolute certainty of this statement.

I've got a couple with dredge booms set up to go in 30 deg rod holders you're welcome to borrow if it helps

Last time I was up there we just used planers with the snap releases with rod holders off the sides of the boat. Didn’t catch anything that day, but had a great time.

Go check out the waterfalls up the lake, too.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

The trout will be deep or deeper. There is a separate ramp and dock for the cabins I believe. Bass can be found anywhere there is rock. Deep drops, ledges, points, etc. We used to fish Zoom lizards in green pumpkin and watermelon colors. A smoke colored worm with or without silver flakes worked well too. You could catch Spots, Smallmouth, or Largemouth. With the ultra clear water, line choice is important too. Don’t overlook a cricket or redworm fished deeper for some good sized bluegill.

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    I've got a couple with dredge booms set up to go in 30 deg rod holders you're welcome to borrow if it helps
    That's awesome but my Xpress is an 18xp. More of a bass fishing style boat so no rod holders.

Plenty of bream. We’d sit in beach chairs waist deep at the sandbar and when we stood up there’d be a horse shoe of 10-20 around us. Kind of weird but they probably do that down here too just can’t see them. We caught plenty of them.

There is a second boat ramp north west of the main landing above the kayak landing area.

I spent most of my time hanging out in the water but did try to catch some red eye bass since I’ve never caught one but didn’t have any luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Trout, troll Sutton spoons deep near the dam 50+ Feet.
    Spent my higschool years doing this.

Note that the main river channel runs out from the dam and just about up the center towards the first bend. It's about 250' deep at the dam, and pretty much that depth along the river for a ways. DO NOT forget your life jackets. It's very cold water and a person wouldn't last long without a jacket if they took a dunk out in the middle.

There are several beach areas around the lake, and the several waterfalls where you can safely take a swim if you like.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

We'll have kids so beaches, waterfalls will definitely be on the agenda. Appreciate the insight!