Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Biden EV Plan

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    Explain that to me. Where are people getting this free energy from and can I have some?

Im involved in this industry so I have enough knowledge to be deadly.
    Free energy is out there at more places than you can think of, but mainly found in city centers or larger cities. Example. Grocery store puts in a level 1 or level 2 charger in their parking lot. Its an amenity to draw in a person with an EV to shop there over the other store that doesnt have one. They give away .50cents of energy and get you to shop there. It gets fucked when an Asheville lesbian parks there for 4 hrs and works on her phone and charges for free without ever coming in the store. Seen it personally. Once all stores have one and there is no advatage, the free be will go away.

The other situation is a hotel offers it for its customers, some units you might have to use a code like wifi in a room. My BIL who has an EV in Cali will choose a hotel based on whether he can charge or not (obviously). The cost is in the price of your room just like the wifi and the free breakfast.

Power will be a problem. In my mind, if everyone has one, the burning of coal would counteract the the emissions a car puts out. Also, some cities ie: Charleston cant handle it. in most cases power and transformers will have to be upgraded. An existing condo/ office etc that wants to put in EV chargers, were designed for a certain load and can not handle the additional load a level 2 and certainly a level 3 charger would require. There for the owner, at least right now from what weve seen, not SCAN/ Duke etc is requiring the owner to upgrade the transformer at a cost which the owner doesnt want to or doesnt see the positive output and ROI if he does.

Tax credits is an incentive to install, and a gas station would be willing to. They arent there to sell gas, they are making money on cokes and gum. You bring up an interesting point on regulations.

A classmate of mine in Washington says EV will be like going from the horse and buggy to the car. I dont think so or at least not in my lifetime, maybe my children's. My friend in Texas also says, lets see em turn truck country into EV country, aint gonna happen. Which I can also believe.

Weve seen gas prices soar but they always come down and usually quicker than what we are seeing today. Im not so sure this isnt all about an agenda, to show us that we should go green and EV because the gas situation could easily be fixed and fixed quicker than it has been.

So if a person or entity wanted to get in on this the easiest way I see it to purchase small tracts of land right off of exit ramps along the interstates. Eventually someone will be along wanting to lease or buy that small tract to put EV charging facility there.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

If you have the money to invest interstate interchange land is always a good bet. Probably just go around you though unless you are one of the good old boys in the club. Or take it via eminent domain.
    Last edited by centurian; 06-09-2022 at 02:00 PM.

The gas stations pay Tesla $ to have their chargers at their locations. As BMAC says they aren't making their money selling gas. Parkers KITCHEN, Spinx, Quik trips and Bucee's are in the sugar and carb business. That's where they make their money.
    DILLIGAF

Aren't gas taxes used to maintain roads. What tax will these EVs have for using the same roads?

Quote Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
    Spinx, Quik trips and Bucee's are in the sugar and carb business.
    Meanwhile...

Quote Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
    The gas stations pay Tesla $ to have their chargers at their locations. As BMAC says they aren't making their money selling gas. Parkers KITCHEN, Spinx, Quik trips and Bucee's are in the sugar and carb business. That's where they make their money.
    You are right They make just pennies per gallon on gas, if that. The store down the road from the house shut down his pump during the last fuel shortage as cars were lined up around the block and actually hurting his business. Said his sales decreased 60% with the traffic jam.

Quote Originally Posted by Geetch View Post
    Aren't gas taxes used to maintain roads. What tax will these EVs have for using the same roads?
    Dont worry about that they are gearing up to charge everyone a fee per mile of travel.

Quote Originally Posted by centurian View Post
    Dont worry about that they are gearing up to charge everyone a fee per mile of travel.
    yep. SCDOT is saying they are losing money due to the increase in EVs in South Carolina, it's cutting into their budgets. Let us not forget that Secretary Hall of SCDOT received a rather large pay increase last year.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

It will be a tax added into the cost to charge. I was at a Sams club in Asheville talking to people who were charging about rates. Asked one man what he was paying, said 41cent KwH. I said is that high and he responded that yesterday in SC he was paying 29 cents Kwh. he didnt know what it equated to as a gallon of gas but knew it was cheaper. Once gas is gone and there is no or little competition, they will raise prices just like gas. Again I doubt I will see it untill the end of my life.

Buying land on an overpass and setting up shop would be hard. Gas stations have the infrastructure. Using a level 3 charger at 480 volts charges at 100mi per hr. You need something for people to do while their car charges. Thats why many of these super chargers, esp Tesla, are in areas with malls, resturants etc but right off the hwy.

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    How long does it take to build a nuclear reactor? Several people in SC and GA would like to know.
    Most take 5-7 years. I think we can all agree that the 2 plants you are talking about had serious issues. They also where being built by the same company at the same time, if I recall correctly. While I get your point, they are not the only plants ever built.
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 06-09-2022 at 03:49 PM.

Micro/mini reactors like the ones on every submarine and a lot of ships in the Navy should come in a kit and be everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck the Duck Slayer View Post
    yep. SCDOT is saying they are losing money due to the increase in EVs in South Carolina, it's cutting into their budgets. Let us not forget that Secretary Hall of SCDOT received a rather large pay increase last year.
    Road apples. They aren't losing a dime. More BS excuses.

Put them at rest stops with cc reader like a gas pump

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.