Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fly Rod/Reel Recommendation

I know, right?

but its not like i'm trout fishing some clear mtn stream with some precious fish grown in someone's big ass fish tank. you have to "fool" those fish by "matching the hatch" when they had been fed pellets most of their life.

and, again, I break shit. I'm glad my dad noticed this and gave me old, already broken shit to fish with. Neat thing is that I still fish with some of those rods.

Oh, and Buckpro pushed my son in the freezing cold water on his first real duck hunt. So there's that....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

^I caught a LOT of fish as a youngun in golf course ponds and creeks with that exact same Cabelas kit.

I need to go dig it up somewhere in the attic. Thanks for the reminder.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post

I use 6lb test that isnt tapered and didnt come in a 20yd spool.....
    I use Ande 4# tied directly to flyline on one end and to the fly on the other most times. Will add a short tippet if I am somewhere I can't say fuckit and go home when fish are being completely stupid.

Id think you'd want a faster action rod for pond fishing that a slower action. For an 8yo you dont need to have anything fancy for when it accidently gets slammed in a tailgate or in a fan on the porch. However, if I were to spend money it would be on a real, with a nice drag system.

As Jab said, not one fly rod does it all, you need multiple. However, a 9ft 6weight could be used for farm pond and inshore.

pride month

ty-i cant read thru all this shit but dear god dont get your kid nice shit.
    I use a shitty cabelas fly rod and catch stuff. and I'm gonna break it probably sooner than your kid could.

plus, if he gets into it, he's gonna get all "glennier-than-thou" and start talking about tippets and deer hair and more primary feather bullshit.

I use 6lb test that isnt tapered and didnt come in a 20yd spool.....
    I know, right?

but its not like i'm trout fishing some clear mtn stream with some precious fish grown in someone's big ass fish tank. you have to "fool" those fish by "matching the hatch" when they had been fed pellets most of their life.

and, again, I break shit. I'm glad my dad noticed this and gave me old, already broken shit to fish with. Neat thing is that I still fish with some of those rods.

Oh, and Buckpro pushed my son in the freezing cold water on his first real duck hunt. So there's that....
    I start with cheap shit, if he really likes it and commits he gets an upgrade. This one takes care of his stuff(the other could break an anvil with a banana). Have you met my kids, "glennier-than-thou" ain't gonna happen!

At the rate that duck hunting story keeps changing, 10 years from now it's gonna read like i pushed him in the water to shoot a banded pintail from under him. Lay off the fluoride.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Oh, and a four piece over a two piece. It stores much better.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I know you and feel pretty at you would dunk him for a sprig with jewelry!

I know I would long gun the shit out of my two boys!!!
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Quote Originally Posted by buckpro View Post
    i pushed him in the water

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Oh, and a four piece over a two piece. It stores much better.
    I so badly wish I could still find a 2 piece (or better, 1) I’ve even considered gluing my rod sections together

Go to a fly shop and have him cast a few if possible see what feels right.

Look for a quality used rod if possible, buying cheap means buying twice(or more). Look at mid tier offerings from well known companies.

If it is truly used as bass/inshore look at an 8. Trout/pond fishing go with a 5.

While I occasionally throw a 7wt for spottail a 6wt is too light. Don’t spend a ton and just get a decent 6wt for ponds, look at entry level TFO. As for the salt, an 8wt is a good all around size anything less will negatively impact casting for a beginner and will play hell on a decent sized red. The idea is to catch them before they get worn out. Most will badmouth it but over line the 6wt so he can learn the feel of the cast and the loading of the rod.

For the record, I didn't push him in the water, 2th just angry I'm his kids hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Quote Originally Posted by bitesize View Post
    Most will badmouth it but over line the 6wt so he can learn the feel of the cast and the loading of the rod.
    Over lining any rod is a bad crutch and usually means you bought the wrong rod for your needs. Most lines today (really looking at you RIO) are too heavy anyways.
    Last edited by SouthernWake; 06-09-2022 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    I so badly wish I could still find a 2 piece (or better, 1) I’ve even considered gluing my rod sections together
    Oh? I have two two piece orvis rods I havent touched in years.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    Most lines today (really looking at you RIO) are too heavy anyways.
    As are most of todays fast action rods. An 8 yr old kid making 20-30’ casts in a pond will not be ruined by learning the feel of loading the rod via the benefit of heavy line. Sure when the kid gets older/more polished he can go and get dialed in with the right stick but for now I’d just grab something cheap/easy and let it roll.

An 8 yr old kid making 20-30’ casts in a pond
    You’re right, was thinking the kid was older but just re read it.

Just grab a TFO NXT setup.

An 8 yr old kid making 20-30’ casts in a pond
    You’re right, was thinking the kid was older but just re read it.

Just grab a TFO NXT setup.

For a good all around Bass/Inshore rod, I'd look at the TFO BVK 8wt rod. It's cheap and performs exceptionally well.

2 pages about a rig for an 8 year old. 8 really? I was happy with a cane pole I made from cane I cut out of the bottoms when I was 10. Keep him interested for sure. Love it that he wants to fly fish. Something cheap entry level. No 8 year olds is going to be able to “feel” shit. Next up which 1000 yard out of the box custom rifle for teenagers?!
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.