Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fly Rod/Reel Recommendation

Default Fly Rod/Reel Recommendation

Looking for some guidance and recommendations on a proper fly rod set-up for my boy.

I've got a 8 y/o that i bought a "Wild Water Fly Fishing 9 Foot, 4-Piece, 5/6 Weight Fly Rod" for off amazon because he wanted to try it. Let's just say the first day he figured it out he caught 14 bass with it and hasn't picked up a bait caster since. Would like to get him something of quality as he is darn good at it and spends 2-4 hours a day fishing, all day if I let him.

I know absolutely nothing about fly rods, weights, tippet, etc. Is there a quality setup out there that would be good for everything from pond fishing to inshore?

Any video/literature recommendations?
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Im sure more experience fly fishermen can tell you more but i love my TFO 4pc 9wt. I have a Ross on it and use saltwater 9wt line. Works great on trout, spottails and black bass.
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

I have a tfo as well, I don't fly fish often but do enjoy it.

TFOs used to have a warranty if you break it. I'm sure you can spend a pile more money but it's a good rod. Have caught stripers, bass, red drum, trout etc.

Mine is 8wt. I would like to catch a sheep on it next.

Every now and then I'll slip out and catch a bass at lunch. Haven't had mine in saltwater in over 5 years. Some friends that are more into flies have really nice gear I get to fish with. I'm not experienced enough with it to be able to tell you why their gear is better, but I can throw flies better with the nicer stuff no doubt.

I am not a hardcore fly fisherman. 9 times out of ten I am using a fly rod stalking spottails at high tide. The one universal I have learned is the fish do not care whether you are using a Sage or a Pflueger.
    Last edited by Hogg; 06-09-2022 at 09:14 AM.
    DILLIGAF

I wouldnt spend a ton of money on a fly rod set up for an 8 y/o.

Any Fenwick middle tier set up will be just fine. I have a Fenwick set up that I still use for bream so I dont mess up my nicer stuff in the swamps.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

for bass ponds i like a 5wt. Inshore around here i like an 8wt. YOu can use the 8wt in a pond but it will over power the fish. using a 5 weight inshore may get sketchy casting the bigger flies of hooking into a big red. If you have a fly shop around, id suggest going there and asking. In the upstate there is dodson. In charleston i really like lowcountry fly shop. I dont know if they are still open though. Id probably go with a five weight. Saltwater gear is a whole new world with a new set of problems.

I probably didnt help, i could ramble on about this for a while

Lowcountry Fly Shop has been closed a while now. Mudminnows advice on a pond rod and an 8 weight is solid.
    Haddrell's Fin & Feathers has good fly tying and fly selection.
    Rivers & Glen is the new fly shop in town, but I haven't been there as it looks like the Kevins of fly shops.
    DILLIGAF

Flyrods are like boats. One size does not fit all. If you want him to be really good at it, guiding him to the right tools for the job is essential. For a "do-all" rod weight, 5 is plenty. Plenty too big for mountain trout streams and plenty too small for throwing clousers on a windy flat...

4 or 5wt for pond bass and bream, weight forward floating line that matches the wt of the rod. Leaders and tippet are in sizes of 2x 3x 4x 5x 6x 7x, higher the number the smaller diameter the line, lower pound test. Sinking or weighted leaders would be helpful for pond bass also, poppers, streamers/clouser minnows, nymphs etc, but sounds like he’s figured that out.

I’ve used 7 and 8wts for reds, the 7wt is a blast with reds, same thing as above weight forward floating line matching wt of rod. 2x and 3x leader/tippet is all you need here. If y’all plan to be in the salt a good bit, it might be worth it to spend a little more on a quality reel, the reel is more important here than the rod. One with a quality drag system that is also sealed is what you’d need to look for.

Orvis makes a couple entry level rods and reels that are quality for the money, also a great warranty, could be out the door with rod, reel and line for under 300 easily. As mentioned TFO makes quality rods that won’t break the bank and also have a great warranty. Once he figures out what he likes he’ll be wanting some of the nice shit, and then it can get pretty pricey such as sage, Scott, Winston and orvis rods and Ross, sage, Abel and tibor reels.

Check out Facebook marketplace. Also YouTube has millions of videos that he’ll love. A ton of fly shops have educational videos. If possible hit up a local store and buy there.

If you don’t want to drop a ton the TFO bugslinger is a great rod. If you want to spend more I like my Sage too.

Thanks fellas!
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Spend as much as you can afford. The most important part of fly fishing is not offending the fish by catching them on a cheap rod

Whatever you do....don't buy him a moonshine. I'm an RL Winston guy personally but for what you're looking for I'd recommend looking into an Orvis Encounter or a Redington 590 series.
    "some men are mere hunters, others are turkey hunters"-Archibald Rutledge

Fuck me! First crossbows now this shit!!! What is happening to this place!!!
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

pride month

ty-i cant read thru all this shit but dear god dont get your kid nice shit.
    I use a shitty cabelas fly rod and catch stuff. and I'm gonna break it probably sooner than your kid could.

plus, if he gets into it, he's gonna get all "glennier-than-thou" and start talking about tippets and deer hair and more primary feather bullshit.

I use 6lb test that isnt tapered and didnt come in a 20yd spool.....
    Last edited by 2thDoc; 06-09-2022 at 11:57 AM.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I rather enjoy people who talk shit about fly fishing in what is a "Fly Fishing Forum"...Don't you?
    At least I'm housebroken.

TFO’s aren’t too expensive and seem to be good rods. I have a couple, but I’m a novice at best. I have about 1/2 a mile of private water I can fish directly out my front door, I haven’t been in a year, take my fly fishing advice with that in mind.

Where are you? I think I have a 5 wt I’d give an 8 year old. Let me know.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I use 6lb test that isnt tapered and didnt come in a 20yd spool.....
    Neanderthal.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton