Thread: FDA approves fat drug

Default FDA approves fat drug

Sounds racist. I thought Americans were promoting unhealthy choices ala the whales in the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit and Victoria's Secret, ooohhhh wait, now I get it...

Eli Lilly weight loss drug for type-2 diabetes approved by the FDA
    June 7, 2022

LLY
    +0.45%

Yahoo Finance senior health reporter Anjalee Khemlani details Eli Lilly's type-2 diabetes drug approval by the FDA for use as a weight loss drug.

ANJALEE KHEMLANI: That's right, Seana. Eli Lilly got their diabetes drug approved by the FDA for use as a weight loss drug, and that gives it a little bit of an edge against and a higher dose of version of the drugs from Novo Nordisk. This drug now showed in some studies to give individuals, especially those taking the higher dose of the drug, a weight loss, as much as 20% of their body weight.

So, that is really causing quite a stir. There is some concern however, about the long-term impacts of that. Some experts have noted that these drugs are used only for a certain period of time. Also, higher dosages tend to result in higher side effects. So, that's also something to work-- to focus on. But on that point of the eventual weaning off of the drug may result in that reduction of that weight loss as well.

So, it could be just a short-term payoff. However, that being said, it is still something new in the arsenal against obesity. And so, this is really where some of the excitement comes on. And of course, you can see Lilly benefiting from that.

https://finance.yahoo.com/video/eli-...194621806.html

The two solutions with the highest efficacy rates, nutrition and activity/exercise, will never be inferior to a drug. It’s sad how lazy and careless we’ve become as a whole.

We won’t prescribe healthy habits but we’ll slap em on a pill.

Healthcare facilities can bill out for a pill and your need to come back for follow ups and refills ensures their continued success.

They make zero dollars from telling you to exercise and stop stuffing your face. And if you’re actually inclined to heed the advice, you’re guaranteed results won’t pad their bottom line.

I’m convinced this is how it works. Yes, I believe that most Americans are lazy and would rather take a pill with 20 side effects than put down the doughnuts. But I think our healthcare/insurance system has allowed doctors to enable that. It would be a much better incentive to drop the pastry if you knew that it was going to kill you, quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

We in Trouble and have been for along time. God Bless the Children!
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

You do understand what a proper noun is, right?
    Carolina Counsel

But what does it do for the insulin levels? If nothing, or very little, that just means you get to buy a smaller casket and get buried in smaller clothes. And, depending on how much you lost, you get 6 pallbearers instead of 8.
    Wish I had gotten into that stock on the ground floor, because that’s going to be the next billion $$ market.
    Last edited by Moose843; 06-09-2022 at 06:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    Healthcare facilities can bill out for a pill and your need to come back for follow ups and refills ensures their continued success.

They make zero dollars from telling you to exercise and stop stuffing your face. And if you’re actually inclined to heed the advice, you’re guaranteed results won’t pad their bottom line.

I’m convinced this is how it works. Yes, I believe that most Americans are lazy and would rather take a pill with 20 side effects than put down the doughnuts. But I think our healthcare/insurance system has allowed doctors to enable that. It would be a much better incentive to drop the pastry if you knew that it was going to kill you, quickly.

you're convinced bc you keep saying it.

People absolutely are aware that fast food is bad for them, yet they choose it all the time. We agree?
    If that is the case, how is the doctor responsible for the patient's bad diet? I am very confident that a vast majority of doctors understand this and do their best for that patient (knowing they will continue to have a bad diet). Maybe, just maybe, the health care administrator in charge of the deposit is aware of the amount of money coming into that office bc of unhealthy people, but I take offense to your comment that doctors WANT people to stay sick. I'm sorry. That is just blatantly untrue. Interestingly enough, the person that is taking control of their health thru diet and lifestyle is more apt to see the doctor for regular visits. The sick ones only come for sick visits. Doc makes money both ways.

I keep kinda pissy sometimes listening to people repeat rhetoric like this that seems to point out that the doctor wants his patients to stay sick.

Good thing there is another branch of medicine these days. When is your next appointment with a wellness or lifestyle physician, Molle? I mean...you can stick it to the system and prove your hypothesis.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post

People absolutely are aware that fast food is bad for them, yet they choose it all the time. We agree?
    If that is the case, how is the doctor responsible for the patient's bad diet? I am very confident that a vast majority of doctors understand this and do their best for that patient (knowing they will continue to have a bad diet). Maybe, just maybe, the health care administrator in charge of the deposit is aware of the amount of money coming into that office bc of unhealthy people, but I take offense to your comment that doctors WANT people to stay sick. I'm sorry. That is just blatantly untrue. Interestingly enough, the person that is taking control of their health thru diet and lifestyle is more apt to see the doctor for regular visits. The sick ones only come for sick visits. Doc makes money both ways.

I keep kinda pissy sometimes listening to people repeat rhetoric like this that seems to point out that the doctor wants his patients to stay sick.

Good thing there is another branch of medicine these days. When is your next appointment with a wellness or lifestyle physician, Molle? I mean...you can stick it to the system and prove your hypothesis.

You do know that most of my family works in the medical field right? I’m not speaking as an tinfoil hat outsider. I am also speaking as a patient who has witnessed personally a doctors inclination to prescribe me a pill instead of allowing me the opportunity to make lifestyle changes. Lifestyle changes that they did not even provide me as an option to attempt.

"This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

i dont care what your aunt does.

if the doc runs a test and the test shows that you are sick, his JOB is to make you better. He cant believe that you will change because you said you will. his JOB is to give you the pill until such time you make that change. YOU are in charge of your health. YOU can decide to take the pill and/or make the lifestyle change. IN NO WAY is this a reflection on the doctor whose JOB is to treat your illness.

I'm sure you're a very good dentist, 2th, that cares about your patients. I didn't mean to offend you.

I have had a team of doctors twice everyone promoted nutrition and activity.

Except one ballon size Indian lady.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post

Consumers drive the market based on demand. If less food and more activity was the demand then this drug wouldn't exist. For MM's hypothesis to be true it would mean you would have a waiting room full of people seeking nutritional and exercise advice and an office full of doctors telling them "that won't work so here take this pill." I just don't buy that. I do, however, buy burnout and compassion fatigue. Why waste your time discussing diet and exercise with someone who is self destructive and wants no part of effort and ownership? Write the script and move 'em along so you can spend time with someone who actually wants help beyond pharmacology.

Lots of empty parking spaces at the gym this morning at 0630. Plenty of space still available when I left there at 0800. But the pharmacy down the street does $700k/day in drug sales.

As Joe Dirt once said; "It's not about what you want. It's the consumer."

There are so many factors and layers.

One thing that often gets overlooked is the power the pharmaceutical industry has. The United States is one of only two countries in the world (New Zealand) which allows pharmaceutical companies to advertise. That industry now accounts for 75% of all ad revenue. That is scary.

A portion of the remaining 25% comes from the food industry and their promotion of tons of processed foods, some of which they try to pass off as healthy.

Value based care is on the way. Things are about to change with the quickness.

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    I'm sure you're a very good dentist, 2th, that cares about your patients. I didn't mean to offend you.
    boring
    its more fun to argue.
    you suck

Quote Originally Posted by murraywader View Post
    Value based care is on the way. Things are about to change with the quickness.
    my bro will be in austin next week as john mackey starts his new health care company. keep an eye on that one...

and i understand the premise of what mollie is lying about, but doctors do the best they can to make people well. understanding that unhealthy people will lead a lifestyle that keeps them unhealthy is not the fault of the doctor. to think a doctor is "in it for the money to keep me sick" is, well, sick.

Talk about sick. I sold a good bit of Eli Lilly at the beginning of April 2018........yeah

I gotta get me some of this fat drug
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Dopesick was a pretty interesting show on Netflix about the FDA classification of opioids and how they were advertised. Not sure how factual everything was though