Thread: Los Roques

I'm going in May for a bonefishing trip. I've actually been there before but it was on a windsurfing trip and I did't get to hire a fishing guide and was limited to fishing on one little island while my wife sailed. Has anyone been before that can offer any tips, fly choices, etc.? We'll be staying at the Macanao Lodge.

TIA

Venezuela, right? never been, yet. sorry, can't help out with this one.
    wherever we go we bring monkey with us

Bug, I assume you have never been after a bonefish before? They are the fastest damn thing you will ever set a hook into...hands down! Stick to the longrod and you will be glad you stuck it out.

Go with some sand colored and some darker brown flies (for the turtlegrass). Don't get the pink and chartreuse colored flies as the sand color will probable work fine. Be sure some of the darker ones have a weed guard though, otherwise you will get very frustrated. 10-12# flourocarbon will be enough for most bonefish and a stiff 6wt to 8wt will suffice.

When they take, set the hook gently to the side. For the most part, they will set the hook well when they feel it!!!

Have fun!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

My envy knows no bounds. Looking forward to that report.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Calibogue,

Thanks for the reply. I've been a bonefish addict for years although I only get to fish for them every couple of years or so. I've got several fly boxes full of a variety of bone flies but I want to make sure I overstock with the colors that work best at Los Roques. Oddly, pink seemed to work best in the turtle grass but I only had two with me and the little yellowtailed fish wouldn't leave them alone either. It may have been that the sink rate of those flies made them more attractive than the color. I'm going with buddies who don't tie and I'm sure they'll plunder my supplies if any particular fly kills them.

I'm also interested in any info about other species. When I was there the first time, I met another fisherman who had run across some tarpon that were fishable from the beach of the main island. I want to make sure I'm prepared for surprises like maybe permit or such too.

I'm not planning on taking anything less than an 8 wt because this place is always windy. I'm wondering whether I should take a 10 wt. just in case. My 10 is a two piece so if I take it, I might as well pack several since it will mean dragging a 5' rod tube through the airports.

I'm not going until May and I'm already pumped up about it!

Bug,

I've got a 3 piece ten wt that you're more than welcome to use. It's a St.Croix Legend Ultra that doesn't get near enough use. Not sure of the exact tube length but I know it ain't no 5 feet.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

I appreciate the offer Stripa but I'll likely haul the rod tube anyway. I'll take a four piece as a carry-on and check the tube. That way, if they lose my tube or if the final-leg puddle jumper forbids carry-ons, I'll have twice the chance of getting there with a rod to fish with. The last time we flew on Venezuelan airlines it was such a hassle that I may even consider shipping a couple rods ahead of time just for good measure.