Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boat crash video at St. Johns Marina on the Stono.

And that's why I don't get on the water over holiday's.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    A few years ago I watched a bass tracker come off the trailer twice going up the ramp. On the third attempt I walked over and hooked his winch strap up.
    A bass fisherman loves to unhook at the top of the ramp so they don’t get their Nikes wet, I’ve seen 2 boats at tournaments get dropped right on the concrete because the backer tapped the breaks prior to getting close enough to the water.

I used to let my wife back the trailer down to launch and load when she went out in the boat with me. I'd land the boat and let her pull up the ramp without hitching the bow line. That was with carpet bunk pads. I added teflon pads to my bunk boards and now you ain't pulling that thing up the ramp without the bow line hooked! I even added a safety chain for the road trip. In fact, I have to keep it in gear so I can go up front and hook the winch line before I shut off the engine or it will slip back off the trailer. It's launches easier than any roller trailer I ever had.

that's one way to dock it

I think its the first weekend in June that someone has put together a duck run at Pack's. Not anyone from the old run that I know of.

I have been real tempted just to go down and watch. When we had the old runs, the number of non running boats all camoed out for duck hunting would surprise me. And the number of screw ups at the ramps is worth a seat. Yes, a lot of y'all were there.

The real killer was before the run started one morning. A fella by himself was creeping out of Pack's to open water. Local officers just decided to check him out for whatever reason. They asked him for something and he reached into his pocket to pull whatever out. I believe it was a bag of coke that hit the deck. Needless to say he didn't get to participate in the fun that day. No clue who it was.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I used to let my wife back the trailer down to launch and load when she went out in the boat with me. I'd land the boat and let her pull up the ramp without hitching the bow line. That was with carpet bunk pads. I added teflon pads to my bunk boards and now you ain't pulling that thing up the ramp without the bow line hooked! I even added a safety chain for the road trip. In fact, I have to keep it in gear so I can go up front and hook the winch line before I shut off the engine or it will slip back off the trailer. It's launches easier than any roller trailer I ever had.
    Where did you get those?
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

A skipper has to know his limits. If you're a googan on the lake you probably should stay out of the salt.
    Personally, when I'm in my boat I watch and avoid other boaters the same as I do meth heads and dark alleys.
    I will offer assistance or advice when appropriate. A few years ago a guy and his wife with a brand new bowrider in the river, first time trying to put in on the trailer and he was standing in the water between the trailer rails with the wench strap in his hand and she's coming in hot.
    I couldn't just stand there and watch the guy get messed up.Started yelling shut it off to her and GTF out of there to him. She powered down just in time and the boat ended up sideways on the trailer.
    I helped get it straightened out and trailered. Best advice I gave him was to stay on the lake ( flat water) until they figure it out.

You hang around boats, boat slips and ramps long enough you're gonna see a lot of crazy shit.
    Last edited by scatter shot; 05-31-2022 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rp View Post
    I believe it was a bag of coke that hit the deck. Needless to say he didn't get to participate in the fun that day. No clue who it was.
    That was Sportin's Peepaw. Good times...

Where did you get those?
    Put canning wax on your carpet and let it melt in while on the water. Or shoot your bunks with food grade Teflon spray.

Where did you get those?
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    That was Sportin's Peepaw. Good times...
    We need a Like Button!!!!!!!!!!
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

It’s always someone else’s fault…. If you have never screwed a boat up, you haven’t spent much time on one. The santee cooper lake system is the most dangerous body of water in the state of sc.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    Maybe personal responsibility, rather than government interference, is what is needed. My wife wants a boat. She grew up on the water. I did not. I can operate a boat, but am not truly comfortable doing so. As douchey as it may sound, if we do buy a boat, I am going to take a class on boat operation/safety. I know that I can probably just go out with buddies a few times for lessons, but I want to make sure I'm doing my part in ensuring that I am not a danger to my family or others around me. I took driving lessons before I got my license. Seems reasonable to take a boating class before I buy a boat.
    It’s a good idea. I’m in Greenville and would help you with any of it. Learning before you get your family in the boat is a great idea. You’ll have some of he best times you can imagine with them on 5e water as long as you’re careful.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

A little more of a running start, and he would have made it over.

I think one should have a "healthy respect" for the water. Whatever you call one step before fear. Always remember things can go way badder way quicker when water is involved. I'm pretty hard on my son (except for haircuts) but the worst I have ever got on him was for being unsafe and careless in the boat regarding something I had already taught him. It was a calculated ass chewing but it made an impact. Plus we are out enough for him to see plenty of stupid things to know not to do.
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

i'd cut his hair in his sleep and leave a sign from the tooth fairy
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Anybody figure out the operator's deal was? Looks like he was impaired and then panicked when he started back forward toward the slip?
    New boater, wasn't used to the controls is the story at the marina.

New boaters are more dangerous than drunk ones. I have witnessed the results in person.

I would assume you will see a lot of new boaters mixed with electronic throttles doing all sorts of stuff in the future.

Prepare for boat dealers and manufacturers to start getting sued for selling boats to "unqualified" captains.