Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gunwale Guerillas

Default Gunwale Guerillas

For you offshore guys, What do y'all think about fighting fish outta the gunwale rod holders? Do you allow it, or do you chastise those who do? I've gotten yelled at for doing so, and I've also recently witnessed two grown men jointly fight a bonita outta the gunwale rod holder (which is a bad thing), so I'm curious to get the collective opinion. Holla back.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

...and my gunwale fish turned-out to be a 60# wahoo, so you haters can stop hatin'.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

I was actually yelled at one time for not.... Guy who owned the boat had a few rods snatched outta some people's hands before, and said put it in the holder and crank... I see no issue with it when bottom fishing.

For offshore, as long as meat is effectively and efficiently entering the boat I do not care.
    Last edited by hunterjw; 05-31-2022 at 06:41 AM.

Only for kids and high speed wahoo.
    That being said, until the fish is hooked and all settle down, its not allowed to leave the holder unless, dropback etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

its about meat! unless its a talica, those 50's stay in the rod holder until I get the fish close or when they start that jumping shit. Get them in quick and reset for the next bite....
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Would a fish be eligible for a record if it was fought from a rod holder?

If you don’t have to take the rod out of the rod holder, don’t.

Oh Geez, do you think that I am that binary? It's not a yes or no. It's a "when"?

Okay, here is my thought process. It's really about my confidence in the angler's ability to handle the rod and what you are doing during the battle. The most important things during the fight: Keep the line tight, control the rod tip, smooth, easy constant pressure. If you can't keep the line tight, you'll get some "coaching". If I look at the rod tip and it looks like you are having a sword fight, I'll ask you to put it back in the rod holder. "Rodney" the rod holder knows how to keep the tip under control. I want the rod tip steady, not bouncing around like you are trying to write your initials in the clouds. If you are exhausted, and you are staring at the spool instead of cranking, put it back in the holder, and focus on cranking. If you look like you are covered in kerosene and lit on fire while fighting a fish, then put it back in the rod holder. Keep the rod tip steady and keep tension on the fish. I'm looking for a slight bend in the rod. If you are violating the rules, then I know it needs to go back in the holder so you can focus on the cranking part. Also, this is why the planer rod stays in the gunnel. Most people are not going to do well with a big heavy outfit. It's doing them a favor by leaving it in the rod holder. "Pumping" the rod with a stiffer action rod is more of an advanced angling technique. If I see an angler who has control while doing this, then I'll let it fly. 80% of the people I fish with aren't doing it correctly, so I'll ask them to stop. I'm also watching to see if you are paying attention to the fish. If you aren't looking at your line an rod, or you are talking about the HS football days, then I know you aren't paying attention to what the fish is doing. Again, "coaching".

Also, when the fish is close to the boat, rod comes out of the holder so you can control the fish around the boat. No high sticking though. This isn't hockey. Pay attention...

Oh, did I mention pay attention? It's attention to details that matter. Bottom line. If you are a small child or a grown man who is fighting the fish like a small child, then "Rodney" is a better option.
    Last edited by jasonw; 05-31-2022 at 07:59 AM.

And there you have it. All that being said, I'm in the 1 outta 5 group, not the 4 outta 5.

Y'all be the judge of line tightness:

https://youtube.com/shorts/creImJmEPk0?feature=share

Need your rod hand up away from the reel. Way easier to control it. Jason, I'll go and yell at him next time y'all have room if you'd like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    If you don’t have to take the rod out of the rod holder, don’t.
    A rod holder never lost a fish.

On a boat without a chair and after a long initial run, I would never take it out of the rod holder unless to move from the rocket launcher to the gunwale. It becomes an inevitability when the fish gets closer or if you have a doubleheader but I say, leave the boat in gear and leave as many lines in the water as you can, as long as you can if you are meat fishing. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

You are the whitest black dude I know and the blackest rod holder I've ever seen
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    Need your rod hand up away from the reel. Way easier to control it. Jason, I'll go and yell at him next time y'all have room if you'd like
    You're right. And I actually do know better. Guessin' I was tired and getting lazy.

It aint black and white. It's situational and a lot of it angler dependent. You need to read the situation. A 150 lb shark that's also hooked to an electric reel on the other side of the boat...that wont budge off the bottom, fuck that. I'm not going to kill myself for that stinking heifer. I'm going to crank that shit down and break him off if I can, either way end it fast before he tangles everybody's shit up.

A 30 wide pm a real fish, why is it an option aside from the level of intoxication or experience of the angler?

A 50 or 80 wide you would use it in a fighting chair, or stand up harness so why not a gunnel?

Just for the love of God, dont put the rod against the gunnel while fighting a fish and do what the captain says even if you know better unless its your rods.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Would a fish be eligible for a record if it was fought from a rod holder?
    For an IGFA record no under at least two of their rules:

2. If a rod holder is used, once the fish is hooked, the angler must remove the rod from the rod holder as quickly as possible.

The following acts will disqualify a catch:

3. Resting the rod in a rod holder, on the gunwale of the boat, or any other object while playing the fish.

https://igfa.org/international-angli...IaAsUxEALw_wcB
    Dum Spiro Spero

Situational, after about the first 5 fish of the day trolling J hooks I'm leaving it in the holder until line or other lines makes me move it. I also do my best to not be near a rod that has a fish on it unless I have to.

Grouper always get fought standing up for me unless bent butt big fish hunting.

Fight the fish with the rod in your hand and the butt in your gut!

Rod holders are for kids and wimins, and big sharks and the 10th aj in a row, and maybe to get the cramps out your arms, but then back to being a man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    Jason, I'll go and yell at him next time y'all have room if you'd like
    That sounds wonderful. Do you guys even know what it's like to lose your voice after a day of fishing? Once BlackBart posts about having nightmares about me yelling at him and wakes up in a cold sweat, then I'll know things are headed in the right direction at least!