Thread: Even the buzzards

Default Even the buzzards

Many SC vultures found dead with bird flu, health officials warn. Here’s what we know BY

PATRICK MCCRELESS

MAY 27, 2022

A mass die-off of wild vultures, some of which tested positive for avian influenza, was recently found in Charleston County. The South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control is urging the public to make sure their pets and domestic animals avoid contact with dead or sick vultures, other birds and wild animals.

DHEC also recommends that residents avoid areas where dead birds have been found. While the risk of bird flu transmission to people or pets and tame animals is thought to be low, the risk is also not well known and is best avoided by not having contact with dead birds, the DHEC states. The virus causing the bird flu can be spread through feathers and fecal material or areas and items contaminated by infected birds.

Handling dead birds without recommended protective measures increases the risk of transmission. DHEC says the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources will continue monitoring and surveillance and encourages members of the public to report unusual bird mortality events.

If you come into contact with a dead vulture or other dead bird in the area, please seek medical attention if you become ill with symptoms of fevers, cough, fatigue, body aches, etc., and report your potential exposure to your health care provider and local health department. DHEC recommends monitoring for symptoms for 10 days after the last exposure to a bird with avian flu.

Read more at: https://www.thestate.com/news/local/...#storylink=cpy

I had the worst turkey season in my life (upstate). I blame avian flu.