Thread: Western Vacation

Default Western Vacation

Looking for some ideas from those of you that have traveled west. We are looking to leave out of SE Arkansas on July 1st and head west for a couple of weeks pulling the camper. Trouble is we have a 4 month old and a 2 year old and driving to Yellowstone looks to be a bit far. We can get 6 hours of driving in a day but don't want to do that for too many days in a row. I have looked at ideas around Colorado and know there's a lot I'm overlooking but what are some ideas within say 16-17 hours of SE Arkansas? Denver is right at 15 from the house with the camper. Thanks
    For the ducks

There isn’t much to see between western AR and the front range…so 16-17hrs is going to put you not far outside of Denver. Denver sucks. The people that live in Denver suck. They’re all going to be enjoying the mountains within an hour or two of Denver.

I’d almost rather just go to NW Arkansas and have more time to relax if I were you and you aren’t wanting to drive anymore than 16 or 17hrs.

Maybe look at Taos/Angelfire area in NM?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Taos

Southern Colorado is nice. Check out Pagosa Springs. Bruce Spruce Ranch is a decent place to camp.

Take southern route on I 40. End up in S rim of G Canyon in Flagstaff and start making your way north. Hit Utah and Zion. Decide then whether to start heading back east on 70 (and go to Arches)
    or keep going north up to Jackson. Getting into the Park in the summer is a pain but the Tetons are a must see. Jealous of your trip.

best to fly to where you want to be, rent an RV, do a loop, then fly home.

I have been "planning" a trip to Teton, yellowstone and rushmore for 5 years from SC. it would take us nearly a month to get there and back. with gas at 4.30, it probably cheaper now to fly and rent.

Good luck and post pics.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Rocky Mtn national park is ~1.5 hrs from denver into the mountains. I went there last year with a few friends and it was pretty cool even with the lakes frozen and snow on them. Pictures I've seen during the summer are awesome. I believe it was called Bear lake, and you could drive up to maybe 150 yards from it

Santa Fe is an overlooked spot. New Mexico in general is beautiful

"JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

Check out the grand Mesa Colorado area. Enough elevation to cool things down and plenty of camping and fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by teal74 View Post
    Check out the grand Mesa Colorado area. Enough elevation to cool things down and plenty of camping and fishing.
    That part of Colorado is amazing.

Northern NM really is a neat area. Wish I would have spent more time up there than I did when I was out West.

The Lincoln NF(Cloudcroft/Ruidoso) is a fun place. No water activities to be had, but fun nonetheless. LOTS of cool history in that area.

Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Google Grand Circle National Parks, that will keep you busy for a couple weeks. Make reservations ahead of time.
    The only man to ever get all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.