Thread: Mobile Sawmill

Default Mobile Sawmill

Finally getting back to SC after a few years lost way out west. We're in the middle of buying some land in southern Charleston county and are going to clear a few acres. Does anyone on here do/have a mobile sawmill? The land is virgin timber and made up of oaks and giant pines. I don't want or need much of the lumber, just looking for the best way to get it out of there and not waste it. Let me know if this is something you're interested in.
    Last edited by BrowningGold; 05-26-2022 at 06:35 AM.
    "Truth, is treason, in the empire of lies"

I'd talk to a forester that you trust and see if he knows of a smaller logger that might want to get in and get out of somewhere quick like.

I did that on my pond site. I caught the logger at the neighbor's house and asked if he'd cut it.

He got paid, I got paid. Everybody was happy.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Good luck finding a logger to do a small tract. I’ve called at least a dozen and when we get to the tract size part of the conversation I get the dial tone.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Good luck finding a logger to do a small tract. I’ve called at least a dozen and when we get to the tract size part of the conversation I get the dial tone.
    I know, that's the problem....several i've talked to are wanting a minimum more than I want to clear. Hoping to find a good mobile sawmill guy that can make his money without it costing me anything other than time and a little bit of sweat felling trees.
    "Truth, is treason, in the empire of lies"

I'm too far from you to refer my guy, but I found a guy who came out and cut me a bunch of lumber from some pines on about 2 acres. I got a ton of wood I'm using for the flooring in our house build, some misc trim pieces, he got some cash and sold a little bit of my excess lumber.

We both walked away very happy. It can be done, and it can be profitable, you just have to find the right guy. And a logger is not the right guy.

Try using Google maps and type in sawmill. I received 4 hits, one being a mobile setup. but I am up near Charlotte.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I tried to give away 350+ big pines to a logging operation, literally told them they could have them for free … no takers.

They want hardwoods. Mostly sweetgum to keep the pellet grillers stocked up.

Few loads of wood isn’t worth it for a logger with diesel $5.00+ a gallon
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by smitch320 View Post
    Few loads of wood isn’t worth it for a logger with diesel $5.00+ a gallon
    For my situation this was 3 years ago and the mill was 10 miles away. Talked to 3 different loggers and no one wanted the job.

And it was a literal golf course where each tree could have a truck driven right up to it.

And need the space to set it up and load it
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    For my situation this was 3 years ago and the mill was 10 miles away. Talked to 3 different loggers and no one wanted the job.
    With the cost of your average logging outfit today it's hard to make the logistics work out to cut smaller tracts. Everything is based off production and costs associated with it.

It's kind of like farming, you smaller operations are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by ADP View Post
    With the cost of your average logging outfit today it's hard to make the logistics work out to cut smaller tracts. Everything is based off production and costs associated with it.

It's kind of like farming, you smaller operations are gone.

This. Have a handful of loggers as clients. They have a fortune tied up in equipment and the moving and setting up is quite expensive and they need to really turn dollars to pay their overhead.

Don’t take this wrong, I do not know you at all, but to them small landowners are a PITA. Extremely finicky/picky and waste their time Basically they churn and burn

Shame you not up here, do have one very small logging guy that does small tracks but he stays backed up (last time I asked him he was 2 yrs out on promises )
    Last edited by tprice; 05-26-2022 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tprice View Post
    This. Have a handful of loggers as clients. They have a fortune tied up in equipment and the moving and setting up is quite expensive and they need to really turn dollars to pay their overhead.

Don’t take this wrong, I do not know you at all, but to them small landowners are a PITA. Extremely finicky/picky and waste their time Basically they churn and burn

Shame you not up here, do have one very small logging guy that does small tracks but he stays backed up (last time I asked him he was 2 yrs out on promises )
    It’s not just the small landowners, it’s unrealistic expectations and wants that get a logger aggravated. They don’t want to hunt down a handful of “good” pines when they can go cut 150 acres of good timber. Even then they’ll find something not right about a tract, lol

I have never found a happy logger. Never found that gold mine in timber.

In the development I timber myself as I go. Cut the tops and load the trucks. Burn the tops and root unless I can find a chipper.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.