Thread: new kid in town

Hello everybody, I'm a NC resident but will be staying in the Cross SC area for the next year or so, will be trying to catch a few fish to maintain sanity while here, I mostly fish inshore and brackish water, but will be aggravating the local striper population as well.I'm really looking forward to checking out the Georgetown/McClellensville areas of your coast, primarily for redfish/ trout/ flounder. I have my own boat and fishing gear, but would like to meet some new fishing buddies to run with. I'm sure to be here with plenty of "dumb questions" about fishing in the area, with # 1 being "where to start looking for redfish at this time of year?"
    life is unpredictable, fish first, work later

Welcome to SCDUCKS [img]graemlins/ah.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/fu.gif[/img]
    More fuel = more boost!!

some of the guys here inshore fish. i would try charlestonfishing.com for information.
    wherever we go we bring monkey with us

From what I hear the redfish are good in Murrell's Inlet and they are tearing up the trout in Edisto. Isle of Palms/Charleston area for reds around the river has also been productive.
    You can take a boy out of ole Dixieland, lord, but you\'ll never take ole Dixie from a boy

Can you poll your boat in shallow water? That makes redfishing much more fun this time of year. What part of NC are you from?
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Hello everybody, thanks for the warm welcome and the help.I live in Pamlico county NC, just east of New Bern, at a "wide spot in the road" named Reelsboro", Pamlico sound, Neuse river is the backyard fishing grounds. I've got a 19'Palm Beach CC with a 115 yamaha 4 stroke on it, little much for poling around and draws more water than a a good flats boat, I can fish in 2' water with it (on a rising tide [img]smile.gif[/img] ), but feel a lot more comfortable in 3'. It handles rough water pretty well, and I don't mind fishing bumpy water, hoping to get to the Charleston/Edisto area soon for the famous redfish action there. I'll have a little more fishing time available after this weekend, when the deer season ends at home. Looking forward to catching some of the local "Spot tails" and trout, will be asking plenty of questions and "going to school" on the coast sson. Happy new years to all!

New Bern ha? Do you do any damage on that local striper population in the river when they come down in the spring? Maybe you follow Beckwith around the sound to find out where the monster redfish or tarpon schools are working? If you really are a "down east'r" and not a local poser, I might share a tip or two as a barter offering for future trips to your neck of the woods.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Poor fishnbum...........I was playing in Broad creek and the Bay river, then off to trent creek the other day....maybe a couple of trout. Sucks to be stuck away from this fishing and hunting shangria la of eastern NC.....doesn't it???

Stripa....there's a couple of rock in the rivers right now playing near the deeper holes.

Crazy, you ain't right, I,m down here slavin away and you're playin in my back yard, and then tellin the story without shame. I actually did get home over the weekend but stayed in the swamp all day, listening to the hounds run and burning buckshot, wasn't all bad. Traded ammo in the afternoon and shot some wood ducks, had to let my lab get some exercise ya know. I'm staying down here this coming weekend, planning to go "exploring" somewhere along the coast here, probably start at murrells inlet if this pretty weather holds up. Curiousity ?? for ya Crazy, did you get moved back home or just a visit? Hoping we can get a trip together one of these days either way, maybe when the cobia are in at the hook. Swipa, I'm here all right, and would love to talk about a trip, PM me whenever you get a chance. I'll tell you up front that although I live there I'm surely no expert on the fishery, but can find my way around and catch a few, and have a lot of fun. Mr Beckwith is a class act, and he'd be a hard one to follow.

Yes, I've never heard anybody say anything less about George.

Rubberhead

Fisnbum...yes I made the move back. Yeah been wearing out the ducks down on Goose creek island.

Stripa.....on George......well your right.

Crazy, glad to hear you got home my friend, looking forward to getting back myself. I went to the mouth of the N Edisto river here sunday, got taught a humility lesson, 100% skunked except saw a lot of pretty water and plenty of porpoises, one flying fish (in a birds mouth LOL), seas glassy and no wind, went outside about 2 miles, still like glass, amazing. It was a beautiful day even with being skunked, and topped it off with a fine BBQ dinner on the way home. It would have been nice to have some "spt tails" to cook on the grill when we got in but.....next time maybe. I'll be back to those spots again this summer, between trips to the hook of course, just another corner of a fishn bums paradise