Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sunflower Reports

Quote Originally Posted by ducribb View Post
    wondering if it is a seed problem

STFU! STFU! STFU! STFU! There are enough supplychain/babyformula/heavyequipment/parts/buildingmaterial/yankee/mentalhealth problems in this world already.

not having a dove field would be one of my eternal punishments in hell and pickin pnuts by hand and planting pine trees with a hodad

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Reb View Post
    I had to replant this year and it wasn’t because of poor germination (although germination wasn’t great). It was because I did something dumb. I got distracted and did not do as good of a job as I should have washing and flushing the glyphosate out of my sprayer after spraying corn. Few days later went to spray my dual magnum and Spartan cocktail on my sunflowers and toasted the entire field. I’m talking burnt up brown crispy flowers within 5 hrs after spraying. Field looked like it had been burned down with Gramoxone. Tough lesson to learn.

I replanted the next day and everything looks good so far.

Damn glad I spent the money to fence field with hot wires last year. The deer pressure is serious again this year but fence is keeping them out of the flowers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    residual glyphosate was not your problem
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    RY-you are a killer. plain and simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Rebel Yell has killed more shit than small pox!
    Stripa Swipa > Ron Jeremy

ED81029B-35F4-4A14-A20F-2107574CB70C.jpg

Few weeks ago. Going to look again today. Hopefully got some rain.

I have a bumper crop of pigweed, again.... Looks like poor germination so far. Maybe 2/3 came up but finally got rain after two weeks. Hope the rest will poke through this weekend. If not, might replant. What major waste of time so far....
    Last edited by fro; 05-25-2022 at 09:35 AM.
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Lesson learned! I have never sprayed when they emerged before. Did this time because was waiting on rain. What a dumb ass mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drduck just crossed a couple of yall of his friends list.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Thats been done before this thread. They know who they are.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

trump tweets mean things
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Mine look pretty good. 3ft tall. Planted on April 9th

20220529_130824-01.jpg

"And ignoring people on here....that's like being home schooled. Just say you're not ready to face life." Highstrung

Total pre emergent failure. Gonna disc up and plant millet.

Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

That looks good. Remember I let you deliver those decoys that time. So I'm invited.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    That looks good. Remember I let you deliver those decoys that time. So I'm invited.
    Still have your number saved!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

I'm scratching my head on what happened with mine. Clearfields planted on April 23rd. 4 solid days of rain were forecasted starting the next day after planting. It ended up going 4 weeks without a drop of rain. Weeds started popping up horribly because of no rain on the pre-emergent. I sprayed 4 oz of Impose and a pint of surfactant per acre on May 14th when the sunflowers were in their 6th leaf stage like I've done previously.

We finally got 2.5 inches of rain this week, so I'm expecting to see some much relieved plants when I ride over today. To my surprise, I see row after row of stunted plants. Apparently the 2 center nozzles on the booms of the sprayer were putting down too much Impose compared to all the other nozzles. Every row I went down with the tractor has 3 or 4 stunted rows. I'm not sure what happened. I watched the pattern the whole time I was spraying and it looked consistent.

Any ideas on what happened? Is it drought related, or was the tank mix a little hot? And what's going to happen to these stunted plants? Will they die, or still grow and produce smaller or no seed heads?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

What did the surfactant rate say on the label?

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    What did the surfactant rate say on the label?
    It was CNI 80/20. The rate on the label said 1 to 2 pints per 100 gallons.

I would be inclined to think you had uneven spray from the nozzles like you said since you said is was the center of your passes. I've had similar stunting on rows in between passes that were overlapped and sprayed twice.

Surfactant is not much different than soap. I doubt plants would be too sensitive to it. Extra herbicide, however, can certainly stunt a plant.

This year I decided to try to be very meticulous with my chemical application, mostly because the chemicals have gotten so damn expensive but also to prevent over-spraying or double-spraying rows. I hung solo cups from each nozzle, revved the tractor up to the RPMs I planned to go, adjusted the output pressure while spraying and timed the sprayer with a stopwatch. Then I made sure each cup had the same level and poured them into a graduated bucket to see what my flow rate was. After a little algebra I figured how much chemicals I needed to add to the tank and what speed I could go to fine tune the rate per acre. I hit it perfectly on my preemergent on the sunflowers and ran out as I finished the last row. That was the first time I got it that correct.

I switched up the sprayer to apply liquid nitrogen Friday and didn't get it so perfect. I use two dropper tubes to dribble nitrogen right beside each row. I went through the same process of calibrating but ran out before I finished everything and had to go back and get some more nitrogen to finish up. Luckily, a little extra nitrogen probably won't hurt the plants, only my wallet. Nitrogen was over $500 a ton this year.

I remember way back when I was in high school thinking I would never use that damn algebra that they forced us to learn. Now I feel like I should send my algebra teacher a Christmas present every year. Chemical application has been a humbling experience for me.

We got horrible germination. Looks to be a combo of an issue with our planter and poor seed. Planning to a do over, although it’s probably too late for early season.
    Carolina Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I would be inclined to think you had uneven spray from the nozzles like you said since you said is was the center of your passes. I've had similar stunting on rows in between passes that were overlapped and sprayed twice.

Surfactant is not much different than soap. I doubt plants would be too sensitive to it. Extra herbicide, however, can certainly stunt a plant.

This year I decided to try to be very meticulous with my chemical application, mostly because the chemicals have gotten so damn expensive but also to prevent over-spraying or double-spraying rows. I hung solo cups from each nozzle, revved the tractor up to the RPMs I planned to go, adjusted the output pressure while spraying and timed the sprayer with a stopwatch. Then I made sure each cup had the same level and poured them into a graduated bucket to see what my flow rate was. After a little algebra I figured how much chemicals I needed to add to the tank and what speed I could go to fine tune the rate per acre. I hit it perfectly on my preemergent on the sunflowers and ran out as I finished the last row. That was the first time I got it that correct.

I switched up the sprayer to apply liquid nitrogen Friday and didn't get it so perfect. I use two dropper tubes to dribble nitrogen right beside each row. I went through the same process of calibrating but ran out before I finished everything and had to go back and get some more nitrogen to finish up. Luckily, a little extra nitrogen probably won't hurt the plants, only my wallet. Nitrogen was over $500 a ton this year.

I remember way back when I was in high school thinking I would never use that damn algebra that they forced us to learn. Now I feel like I should send my algebra teacher a Christmas present every year. Chemical application has been a humbling experience for me.
    What were the long term results of your stunted plants? Did they ever form flowers and produce seeds?