Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Want to hunt NC

Quote Originally Posted by Campbeller View Post
    You think SC has a "lack of" quality public hunting land?
    I've been here almost 3 years. Originally from Tennessee. I've hunted public land in Tennessee, Alabama, Minnesota, North Dakota, and Wisconsin. South Carolina's public land has by far been the worst experience. Lots of pressure, very little game animals.

The pressure isn't as much of a concern if there were at least high populations of targeted animals. Minnesota hunting pressure was probably worse than here but I always saw deer, turkeys, ducks, bears. That place was awesome for the 3 years we lived there. I love South Carolina and love the people, it's great to be back in the South again. But dang the hunting is rough here.

I am no good at golf so that is not for me either. I hunt and fish for my fun and not for meat. I would rather hunt than fish but i think i am a better fisherman than deer hunter for sure. i rarely keep fish these days except crappie and catfish for a few fish fries. Wife likes quail and dove so we eat them up and i give most of the deer meat away and cook a little. I have killed fish by the hundreds to eat and give away but these days i release nearly all. I do not begrudge other from keeping them, i just dont.

I am trying to keep the kids involved in keeping our club going and reducing the numbers while trying to maximize opportunity. My kids are grown and two of the three hunt. I have had this lease for 20 year or so an hope to hold on for a few more. I know this land to lease is hard to come by and there are a lot of hunters looking for a place to hunt right now as well as a lot of clubs looking for members. Hope you find that spot.