Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Want to hunt NC

Quote Originally Posted by Huntinjunkie View Post
    Banjo bud is going to be devastated you didn't reach out to him first
    You got Banjo covered.

Quote Originally Posted by centurian View Post
    You got Banjo covered.
    I was hoping you'd take him. He couldn't kill a squirrel in the zoo

I am very interested. I live about 10 miles from the state line in Spartanburg county.
    What county?

I live hours away, have a demanding job and even more demanding wife.

However, I like to think I will hunt a lot. When in reality, I never do.

I’m the perfect member.

To hell with all these others.

Pm me.

Quote Originally Posted by britton40 View Post
    I live hours away, have a demanding job and even more demanding wife.

However, I like to think I will hunt a lot. When in reality, I never do.

I’m the perfect member.

To hell with all these others.

Pm me.
    I'm right there with ya.

This has the makings of "The Great Swamp Hunt".

I'm with Britton and Glenn

Except I have 2 tractors and can plant banging food plots.
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

To clarify, I don't want in the club.

I just want more time to hunt what I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    To clarify, I don't want in the club.

I just want more time to hunt what I have.
    Ain't nobody got time to be tracking your wtbd's through the mountains anyway
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Just to let those interested know it a no go. Guy selling the property and it is to be all year camping area and hiking trails. Hate to see that.

Quote Originally Posted by centurian View Post
    Just to let those interested know it a no go. Guy selling the property and it is to be all year camping area and hiking trails. Hate to see that.
    Better than turning it into a development with street names of all of the animals that used to live there.

I just want to shoot the wood ducks.

Honest question - do you think paying thousands of dollars to hunt this private land is good or bad for the future of hunting?

My opinion is that until we stop paying thousands of extra dollars a year to hunt, this will never go away and the prices will continue to rise. One day, we truly will be in the European model of hunting where it is a rich man's sport. You're either paying even more thousands a year for private land access, or you have to purchase ~30-40 acres of your own to hunt. The latter is getting further out of reach for middle class man every day. Especially in South Carolina.

Listen to the stories of the older folks who remember a time when knocking on a door, a handshake, and maybe an offer to do a bit of help granted them permission. Now it's all about those checks.

Edit: Yes, I've obviously been listening to Matt Rinella's podcasts. While I absolutely do not agree with everything he says, I think he makes a lot of very valid points.
    Last edited by JimmyD714; 06-29-2022 at 07:56 AM.

Hunting is a pay to play sport now like it or not And yes I hate writing that check for thousands but at least it helps keep the land together and maybe away from developers. I grew up hunting pretty much anywhere you wanted just asking. As hunters we have not policed our own very well. Land owners dont want you around and i dont blame them. Poeple litter, leave gates open, tear up fencing and gates, shoot livestock, drive through fields, and tear up roads.

But what happens when the prices eventually reach a point you can no longer afford? Or maybe you can afford it but just can't justify paying that much?

With the (lack of) quality of public land hunting in SC, and the alternative being to pay ~$1500 to hunt a club with hunters jam packed like sardines shooting at piles of corn because they can't find a set of deer tracks without a bait pile... shoot honestly I'd rather just get a house on 5 acres and raise cattle to feed my family.

I'd rather hunt though.

Maybe have to take up golf. Hunting is pay to play these days. Wish it could go back to the old ways but it will only get worse

Our lease is not packed like sardines but most hunters will not pay for what that actually cost. This was definitely not going to be over crowded. I often wonder about some hunters that drive up in a $65,000 truck pulling a $3,000 trailer, hauling a $10,000 ATV and pull out a $2500 gun with a $1500 scope on it then grip about the price of the lease. I do get what you are saying and money gets in the way of all things fun. Hell i am old and will likely be able to afford to hunt as long as i am able but not a given for my kids.

You think SC has a "lack of" quality public hunting land?

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    Ain't nobody got time to be tracking your wtbd's through the mountains anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Yes I do but they also have some prized properties. NC is the same way. I remember when I started hunting in SC in 1972, you could stop on the highway on us 21, us 321, us 49, us 9 and us 521 and most any highway in the upstate and get out and hunt. It was all GMA. $hat land is still being hunted just as private land.

Haha golf isn't for me. Hunting and fishing is. Ultimately I like this because I want to provide meat for my family. Whether that comes from raising livestock or killing deer, as long as I'm providing. I'd rather hunt, but I refuse to be one of the people panicking about these orchestrated food shortages that are surely coming. My goal is to get good enough at this that our family can eat mostly wild game and not buy much meat from the store. I'm far from that good, but I'm working hard at it.

You say it is not a given that your kids will have places to hunt, wouldn't you like to know they will though? We have a 4 year old and another one scheduled to arrive in August. The way things are going, they'll have nowhere to hunt unless they're rich. Every person can only play their part. I joined a hunt club last season here and absolutely hated it. Didn't renew for a number of reasons, one being I didn't want to contribute to a problem that is worsening. And that worsening is mostly affected by the number of people growing that pay thousands to hunt private land.