Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gun cleaning

Quote Originally Posted by mello_collins View Post
    That is why you wax. Look up the product I posted and what it was developed for.
    10-4. I just ordered some.
    Last edited by StrutnBPS; 05-22-2022 at 09:53 AM.

I use this. Natural lamb skin, spray it down with HD silicon to saturate. It is there to wipe down everytime I handle a firearm. Very convenient and the woolsgets to all the cracks and gaps. Removes fingerprints from handling, non staining and no spills.

iu[7].jpg
    Last edited by centurian; 05-23-2022 at 08:41 AM.

Salt water test reports done a couple of times over the years rated CLP much better that RIG, 3-in-1, etc. I’ll see if I can locate the test info.

Edited… Here is a very complete test I think you’ll find helpful. The only product that’s not included is Q-Maxx. There are 46-48 products included here, and Frog Lube is the clear winner in pretty much every test. Good job, Tater!

https://dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667

No matter what you use, if you store a gun in a gun case, it will rust.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 05-30-2022 at 11:23 AM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Mello, I use that wax on gun stocks and forearms following a TruOil refinish after everything has sat up and cured. I've been very pleased at how it protects.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 05-30-2022 at 06:46 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

That test wasn't no joke. Read thru most of the write up. On the corrosion test, Froglube was a winner there and ranked high on pretty much every other test.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    Salt water test reports done a couple of times over the years rated CLP much better that RIG, 3-in-1, etc. I’ll see if I can locate the test info.

Edited… Herr is a very complete test I think you’ll find helpful. The only product that’s not included is Q-Maxx. There are 46-48 products included here, and Frog Lube is the clear winner in pretty much every test. Good job, Tater!

https://dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667

No matter what you use, if you store a gun in a gun case, it will rust.
    Thank you for that link. The same test was put on youtube years ago, but I could not find the link to it.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

The key to rust prevention is to wipe down the gun every time you handle it and avoid large temperature/ humidity swings in storage. I used desiccant packs for years. They did very little to prevent rust but goldenrods have worked well. However it takes 2-3 times as many in the safe as is recommended to get the job done. It needs to keep the safe very warm to really work. A 100 watt light bulb near the floor would probably work but breakage would be a risk.

Most lubes that leave a good film strength have worked well for me. I bought a 20 ga. 870 express several years ago from academy. I got a good deal on it because it had a lot of surface rust on it. I took the gun apart and thoroughly scrubbed it with a mix of Barricade and CLP. I wiped it down every day for about a week, until it showed no rust then did it for another couple of days. Voila! No more rust problems. Guess I had to get it down in the pores of the metal.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Frog Lube will gum up firearm internals based on my personal experience. May be great for the outside surfaces of course.

Quote Originally Posted by billyjack View Post
    Frog Lube will gum up firearm internals based on my personal experience. May be great for the outside surfaces of course.
    There’s a lot of videos on YouTube that show the same.

I like Barricade, CLP, and I’m becoming a fan of Lucas Oil Products Gun Oil.

I NEVER put a gun in the safe without wiping it down with a rag sprayed with CLP. Never had problems with rust either.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Quote Originally Posted by MKW View Post
    I NEVER put a gun in the safe without wiping it down with a rag sprayed with CLP. Never had problems with rust either.
    x2
    At least I'm housebroken.