Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fanning turkeys

Default Fanning turkeys

https://rollingthunderpodcast.libsyn...g-turkeys-pt-i

The rolling thunder guys had a phone-in interview with Mike Chamberlain.

It’s also available wherever you usually stream podcasts.

He hits on a lot of key topics..

Podcast is excellent and covers a lot more topics than just "fanning".

Y’all beating a dead turkey.

It’s simple, there are more turkeys dying every year than being born and raised. Human population is increasing steadily and more people actively hunt. Habitat is being destroyed for the American dream. Predation is no different than 20 years ago. Fuck there are more hawks and predators in the west and they have more turkeys. Throw on top of that the folks who travel multiple states every year and it makes it worse. It’s happening with about every game species out there. Little common sense goes a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by Smilee View Post

It’s simple, there are more turkeys dying every year than being born and raised. Human population is increasing steadily and more people actively hunt. Habitat is being destroyed for the American dream. Predation is no different than 20 years ago. Fuck there are more hawks and predators in the west and they have more turkeys. Throw on top of that the folks who travel multiple states every year and it makes it worse. It’s happening with about every game species out there. Little common sense goes a long way.
    Farmers in orangeburg county would beg to differ with deer..

Quote Originally Posted by ReelHard View Post
    Farmers in orangeburg county would beg to differ with deer..
    When I was stationed in CT my best friend was a GW. He got sent undercover to MA to help with a “poaching ring”. The poaching ring turned out to be a pumpkin farmer that had been repeatedly denied depredation permits. He had built a tower stand overlooking his field and let anyone that wanted to climb up and kill deer.

THAT was the “poaching ring”. My friend packed his shit up and came home.

You mean he didn't pose in front of the pumpkin patch in full tactical gear with his arrest seizures?

Quote Originally Posted by Smilee View Post

The only thing that lawmakers can control is how many are killed, when they are killed and how they are killed.

Research shows there are more turkeys being killed than born and raised FACT

Habitat is being destroyed. FACT

Fanning, reaping is a cheat code that involves little skill. It’s not safe. It results in more deaths of dominant turkeys at the wrong time. Per the research conducted by Chamberlain and others, these dominant birds are the ones that don’t need to die. At least not early in the season when a fan, mojo or strutter are so effective.

Why not ban it. We either agree on something that lowers harvests or we lose bag limits and get shorter seasons.

It’s common sense to me.

Justin you don’t need fans or decoys to kill turkeys. You’re a killer and I highly doubt you even use them except for kid hunts.

Quote Originally Posted by britton40 View Post
    The only thing that lawmakers can control is how many are killed, when they are killed and how they are killed.

Research shows there are more turkeys being killed than born and raised FACT

Habitat is being destroyed. FACT

Fanning, reaping is a cheat code that involves little skill. It’s not safe. It results in more deaths of dominant turkeys at the wrong time. Per the research conducted by Chamberlain and others, these dominant birds are the ones that don’t need to die. At least not early in the season when a fan, mojo or strutter are so effective.

Why not ban it. We either agree on something that lowers harvests or we lose bag limits and get shorter seasons.

It’s common sense to me.

Justin you don’t need fans or decoys to kill turkeys. You’re a killer and I highly doubt you even use them except for kid hunts.
    Put me in the boat for the latter. Lower the limits and shorten the season. Let people hunt how they want. I have never reaped a turkey and likely never will. But I’m not into telling other people how they should enjoy to hunt.
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 05-21-2022 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    Put me in the boat for the latter. Lower the limits and shorten the season. Let people hunt how they want to.
    I’m good with both. Research and science Agee with both.

Serious question.....

Have any of you ever witnessed this in person? Because I haven't, but I have seen it on TV a lot lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    You mean he didn't pose in front of the pumpkin patch in full tactical gear with his arrest seizures?
    Nope, lol. He came home and told his boss that he was having no part of it because the state was the cause of the problem. Give the man his depredation permits he needed and the problem would be solved. Damn things were annihilating his pumpkins. Stomp, nibble, move to the next.

Unicorns exist.

Not anymore, he’s retired now

Reaping seems to be most popular for those that need to get the shot for their TV show or for getting young kids some action in front of them. I can’t believe that too many folks would enjoy hunting that way after having them run up to your barrel once..maybe three times. Kinda seems like the equivalent of catching farm pond bass in traps. That said, game laws should target having no more than x number of a species taken and to ensure they are taken in a certain timeframe. Beyond that, the government needs to stay out of it. My .02
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    Put me in the boat for the latter. Lower the limits and shorten the season. Let people hunt how they want. I have never reaped a turkey and likely never will. But I’m not into telling other people how they should enjoy to hunt.
    So you don’t think they should tell hunters not to bait them or shoot them with rifles either?

Quote Originally Posted by WhitewaterDuck View Post
    Reaping seems to be most popular for those that need to get the shot for their TV show or for getting young kids some action in front of them. I can’t believe that too many folks would enjoy hunting that way after having them run up to your barrel once..maybe three times. Kinda seems like the equivalent of catching farm pond bass in traps. That said, game laws should target having no more than x number of a species taken and to ensure they are taken in a certain timeframe. Beyond that, the government needs to stay out of it. My .02
    So by your theory, we could shoot them over bait with a rifle as long as we all get a certain limit and a certain timeframe?

We can if we glorify them first by naming them after a rubber penis and telling 1000 people we did so on the internet.
    Last edited by Sportin' Woodies; 05-22-2022 at 07:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    We can if we glorify them first by naming them after a rubber penis and telling 1000 people we did so on the internet.
    Original

In my opinion, lowering the limits and shortening the seasons, is no different than making a hunter use tags and letting farmers kill 500 deer a summer..
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213