Thread: Mike Chamberlain Podcast

Default Mike Chamberlain Podcast

Pretty good discussion on the latest Rolling Thunder Podcast. Wide variety of topics and very interesting brain picking of Dr Chamberlain on the topic of harvest tactics,breeding hierarchy, and turkeys in general.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/3Rp...Qb--JFz2479c8g

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by ccleroy; 05-20-2022 at 08:13 AM.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Very good podcast.

Listening to the podcast got me thinking.... How many people work with landowners around them to calculate the amount of birds they should harvest in an area or how they manage for birds or anything in regards to improving the bird population within an area? How many have outlawed decoys or male decoys?
    Last edited by darealdeal; 05-20-2022 at 08:46 AM.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Quote Originally Posted by darealdeal View Post
    Listening to the podcast got me thinking.... How many people work with landowners around them to calculate the amount of birds they should harvest in an area or how they manage for birds or anything in regards to improving the bird population within an area?
    We do. I noticed that a lot of our hens were leaving our swamp to nest just onto our neighbor’s property, so I bought my neighbor 3 dozen dog proofs and I’m going to pay him for every nest predator he catches. We also discuss the number that we kill, as “our” gobblers follow “our” hens onto them later in the season mid morning. Interestingly, the minute the poults hatch, they head back onto our place for the late spring/summer
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    We do. I noticed that a lot of our hens were leaving our swamp to nest just onto our neighbor’s property, so I bought my neighbor 3 dozen dog proofs and I’m going to pay him for every nest predator he catches. We also discuss the number that we kill, as “our” gobblers follow “our” hens onto them later in the season mid morning. Interestingly, the minute the poults hatch, they head back onto our place for the late spring/summer
    The farmer beside me this year between him, his wife and father-in-law they got at least 3 that I know of. I ended up not hunting around the house after he got the second one. I have no clue how receptive the hunt club and farmers around me would be in restricting members or anything outside of the laws already posted. I know its a loaded question and a lot goes into calculating it but how many toms can you expect to kill per acre for an area and it not hurt the population?
    Last edited by darealdeal; 05-20-2022 at 08:52 AM.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Listening to the podcast got me thinking.... How many people work with landowners around them to calculate the amount of birds they should harvest in an area or how they manage for birds or anything in regards to improving the bird population within an area? How many have outlawed decoys or male decoys?
    This is something I've thought about a lot and is a reason I believe (without any physical data, purely my opinion) that our major issue in SC is due to over harvest. Turkey hunting has gained popularity over the last 10 years and there seem to be a lot more people hunting turkeys. The turkey hunter that manages his 100-500 acres and shoots a bird or two like he's always done, now has more people around him that are hunting the same flock of turkeys. A large enough tract and good communication between adjoining landowners like trkykilr mentioned can accomplish a lot but it's still an issue for the flock of turkeys that lives on 1000 acres with 10 landowners and now 8 out of the 10 landowners are hunting them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntin Ace View Post
    You are exactly right sc sportsman

As Chamberlain explains in the podcast, it's hard to say how many you should kill. 30% of your gobblers used to be the go to answer, but that was when each hen averaged 4 poults. SC has had hen/poult ratio go over 2, two times, in the last decade.

If you have really great habitat, I would think you could stay around that 30% number. If your habitat is lacking and you aren't producing new turkeys each year, then maybe as low as 10%
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

I'm dubious of wildlife officials whose primary conservation mantra is hunters should kill fewer animals.

The farmer beside me this year between him, his wife and father-in-law they got at least 3 that I know of. I ended up not hunting around the house after he got the second one. I have no clue how receptive the hunt club and farmers around me would be in restricting members or anything outside of the laws already posted. I know its a loaded question and a lot goes into calculating it but how many toms can you expect to kill per acre for an area and it not hurt the population?
    It is hard to come up with a per acre number. Terrain varies so greatly, and that affects the range of the turkeys. I think your best bet is to bait them and use cameras in early February, and use those numbers to determine how many you can kill. I don’t think you can expect any neighbors to impose restrictions because you ask them, but I have been pleasantly surprised how receptive mine have been to at least discussing.

I was in a large acreage club for a good many years, and it was absolutely loaded with turkeys. We were able to convince the group (maybe 7-8 turkey hunters) to limit the harvest below what SC would allow. We all agreed that keeping it well populated was more important than every person killing one more per year. Sadly, it was all useless, as they have raped the timber on that place, and there are very few turkeys now.

I think if you approach your neighbors with genuine concern, and offer to trap for them or whatever, it will at least get them thinking about how many they should kill. Also, keeping the pressure down on your place may make the birds more apt to stay on your place. Make sure they have year round habitat, and we feed the hell out of ours as soon as we meet our quota.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

Next year they should have an event on the Midlands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    Next year they should have an event on the Midlands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not 100% sure what type of event you are referring to, but if you are referring to an Invitational type event like the one put on in the low country, the Low Country Game Bird Foundation is working on an event in the Midlands for next year. Hopefully it is something we can pull off and there can be more $ raised for the wild turkeys in our state!
    Last edited by Gut_Pile; 05-20-2022 at 10:17 AM.
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

I was thinking along the lines of a 1 to 4 ratio. Every 4 toms on the property in January/February you can kill 1. That seems like a fair enough number to me.

I was thinking along the lines of a 1 to 4 ratio. Every 4 toms on the property in January/February you can kill 1. That seems like a fair enough number to me.
    I think that would be a good number, depending on the jakes you are seeing. Obviously, the later you kill them, the better. I think killing 1 early may be worse than killing 2 late.

Yeah after the neighbors killed their second I didn’t hunt behind the house. They ended up with 3 that I know of between about 300 to 400 acres. Between us the cow pastures and the 2 hunting clubs could be about 2500 acres. It’s a lot of pressure during turkey season.