Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Diversity

Default Diversity

Is it really important? What does it really achieve? Don't people generally gravitate toward people with whom they share commonalities, and shouldn't that be our choice? Your thoughts?
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Forced diversity creates segregation

I think diversity of thought is a crucial aspect of a well functioning society. But, with that, I think there need to still be some core commonalities between individuals.

I think it is a great thing to get outside of your bubble and see how other people (maybe of other nationalities, races, etc, or maybe not) live and do things. But I agree with RT above, anything forced or mandated is only going to create resentment and division.
    Formerly DM88

Diworsity is a better description of all social and many business outcomes after the word "diversity" is introduced. Folks just need to act like folks, stay in their lanes, and all would work out fine.

i'm not even sure what that word means any more...
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

The diversity of thought absolutely makes a group stronger than the algebraic sum of the parts.

Using attributes that only show up in a black-and-white photograph in the back of an annual report has proxy for a diversity of thought has proven itself as a poor substitute for selecting a group with a diversity of thought. Making matters worse, they have trained the group in the black-and-white photograph to all think alike before they are allowed to be in the photo.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

People trying to prove how woke, unbiased, unphobic, unracist, neutral etc. they are, are the worst offenders of all of it. It’s all for show and most of these diversity proponents are the most miserable people you will ever meet. They’re all control freaks that just happen to be betas.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Formerly DM88

I enjoy whites. My best friends are white. Mt wife is white. Shoot, my house, boat and truck are all white, too.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

well, BB....that brings up an interesting point.....in a country of capitalists...why does every commercial for a product feature an interracial couple? or at least a "minority" when the vast "majority" of potential customers dont look like the commercial? kinda like disney promoting their faggotry while alienating the majority of people that would spend money there. i often wonder....

are you more apt to buy Puffs over kleenex bc the commercial appealed to you?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    The diversity of thought absolutely makes a group stronger than the algebraic sum of the parts.

Using attributes that only show up in a black-and-white photograph in the back of an annual report has proxy for a diversity of thought has proven itself as a poor substitute for selecting a group with a diversity of thought. Making matters worse, they have trained the group in the black-and-white photograph to all think alike before they are allowed to be in the photo.
    Well said. Diversity is encouraged in a society except when it comes to ideas.

Diversity for itself I disagree with. It does have its place. It should not trump qualifications. Different points of view are important. Leads to different solutions that a single point of view will not provide.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

I think with food yes. I like my diet to consist of a lot of colors.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    well, BB....that brings up an interesting point.....in a country of capitalists...why does every commercial for a product feature an interracial couple? or at least a "minority" when the vast "majority" of potential customers dont look like the commercial? kinda like disney promoting their faggotry while alienating the majority of people that would spend money there. i often wonder....

are you more apt to buy Puffs over kleenex bc the commercial appealed to you?
    I hate the false perception being created by pretty-much all businesses and outlets who benefit from their fake wokeness. Just saw three commercials while I was typing this thread. Two contained interracial couples, and the third was a light-skinned black girl (which is another thing in and of itself).

https://scducks.com/forum/showthread...Perfect+People

Stalker

The very moment that the Democrats called Larry Elder the "the black face of white supremacy" when he was running for governor of CA, I lost interest in anything remotely related to the diversity movement. As for lower-case "d" diversity, I think SC has come a long way between a woman of Indian descent being Governor and a person of African descent being elected as US Senator. Unfortunately neither of those individuals were democrats, so it does not fit the narrative. MG

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...k-californians

Column: Larry Elder is the Black face of white supremacy. You’ve been warned
    Conservative radio talk show host Larry Elder speaks to supporters in Norwalk
    Conservative radio talk show host Larry Elder speaks to supporters during a campaign stop in Norwalk.(Marcio Jose Sanchez/Associated Press)
    BY ERIKA D. SMITHCOLUMNIST
    AUG. 20, 2021 5 AM PT
    Larry Elder smiled the smug smile of a Black conservative who could very well be liberal California’s next governor.

“Where do you start with the damage Gavin Newsom has done to the state that we both love?”

He leaned forward to gaze across the room of white Republicans who had come to a hear him speak in Orange County.

“Rising crime? [It’s] because of this phony narrative that the police are engaging in systemic racism and cops are pulling back,” Elder said. "... When you reduce the possibility of a bad guy getting caught, getting convicted and getting incarcerated, guess what? Crime goes up.”

Then another smile, this one even more smug than the last.

“Can you say, ‘Duh?’”

::

I won’t lie. Few things infuriate me more than watching a Black person use willful blindness and cherry-picked facts to make overly simplistic arguments that whitewash the complex problems that come along with being Black in America.

ADVERTISING

And throughout his career — as a radio host, as a talking head for Fox News and now as a gubernatorial candidate — Elder has made a point of doing just that, usually with a lot of taunting and toddler-like name-calling of his ideological enemies in the process.

As longtime political consultant Kerman Maddox put it: “Larry Elder goes out of his way to be at odds with the leadership in the Black community and at odds with the thinking in the Black community.”

Newsletter
    Get the latest from Erika D. Smith

Commentary on people, politics and the quest for a more equitable California.

Enter email address
    Enter email address
    SIGN ME UP
    You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.
    Like a lot of Black people, though, I’ve learned that it’s often best just to ignore people like Elder. People who are — as my dad used to say — “skinfolk” but not necessarily kinfolk.

That’s certainly how many of L.A.'s Black and politically powerful have tried to deal with him over the years. As The Times once wrote of Rep. Maxine Waters’ refusal to be a guest on Elder’s radio talk show: “Why should she boost the ratings of a man who ridicules her by mixing a recording of a barking dog over her sound bites?”

READ THE LATEST RECALL COVERAGE
    At a grim convention, California GOP seeks to regroup after bruising recall defeat
    Don’t be fooled: California’s new housing laws make significant changes to zoning
    Caitlyn Jenner brought fame to her run for California governor. Why it failed anyway
    In California recall, Gavin Newsom should have been the only name on the ballot
    But with polls showing that nearly half of likely voters support recalling Newsom and that Elder is in the lead to replace him, ignoring the self-proclaimed Sage from South-Central is no longer a viable strategy. Particularly for Black people.

“He is a danger, a clear and present danger,” said Melina Abdullah, co-founder of Black Lives Matter Los Angeles.

It’s not just that Elder would be a Trump fanboy Republican trying to run a state dominated by Democrats. Or that he has zero experience in elected office and clearly doesn’t have the temperament for governance. (He can’t even take questions from journalists without losing his cool.)

It’s that — perhaps out of spite or perhaps out of an insatiable need for attention — Elder opposes every single public policy idea that’s supported by Black people to help Black people. This has been true for decades, but it’s particularly problematic given the racial reckoning following the murder of George Floyd.

Larry Elder and his ex-fiancee Alexandra Datig
    CALIFORNIA

Larry Elder’s ex-fiancee emerges as leading critic, with gun allegation, other claims
    Aug. 19, 2021

“We have been having a series of real uncomfortable discussions about systemic racism in institutions across this state,” said state Sen. Sydney Kamlager (D-Los Angeles). “About how to really peel back the layers of ignorance or ineptitude so that we can deal with them in very real ways. And Larry Elder is someone who just fundamentally doesn’t believe that [systemic racism] exists.”

He also apparently doesn’t believe that racial profiling exists. This is despite telling The Times’ editorial board that police pulled him over “between 75 and 100 times” the first year he had his driver’s license.

Elder scoffs at the many efforts to reform the criminal justice system and to root out racial bias in policing by requiring more transparency and accountability from officers. Instead, he keeps trotting out statistics that purport to show that Black people are particularly prone to murdering one another.

Radio talk show host Larry Elder is on-air in Burbank
    Radio talk show host Larry Elder is on-air in Burbank during his July 12 show. (Marcio Jose Sanchez/Associated Press)
    “Do we still have the phenomenon where a young Black man is eight times more likely to be killed by another young Black man than a young white man?” he told the Republicans in Orange County. “If the answer to those series of questions is yes, I submit to you that systemic racism is not the problem.”

Elder mocks critical race theory, though I’m not sure he understands what it actually is. That doesn’t bode well for ethnic studies in California.

If he’s elected, the task force studying reparations for Black Californians would be toast. As would yet unsigned bills to allow police officers to be decertified for misconduct and to support community-based alternatives to 911.

Then there are Elder’s views on masks and vaccines for COVID-19.

It’s particularly telling that a week ago, a who’s who of Black elected officials, from members of Congress to the L.A. City Council, lined up at Kedren Community Health Center to urge Black Angelenos to get vaccinated. The rates continue to be abysmal, and Black people are still dying disproportionately.

Elder, meanwhile, was off somewhere tweeting his grievances over mask and vaccine mandates, promising that as governor, he will “repeal those before I have my first cup of coffee — and I don’t drink coffee.”

::

I would’ve asked Elder to explain his views, but his campaign hasn’t returned my messages. However, I’m fairly certain he would say his thinking is the result of being free and independent, rather than a believer in the victimhood messaging that’s supposedly perpetuated by Democrats.

He’d also probably say, as he did on Tavis Smiley’s talk radio show recently, that he does care very much about Black people.

“I believe that many policies that have been implemented by the left, often with the best of intentions, have a disproportionately negative effect on Black America,” Elder said.

Some Black people do agree with him. We aren’t a monolith, so it’s true, he does have fans who are Black and are likely to vote for him.

But it’s also true that Black people, particularly Black Angelenos, overwhelmingly vote Democratic. That’s the foundation of a new campaign, launched by local, state and federal Black elected officials from L.A., to increase turnout among Black voters for the Sept. 14 recall election.

California's unemployment agency problems could be a key issue in the Sept. 14 recall election.
    CALIFORNIA

Newsom’s other COVID-19 recall vulnerability: California’s broken unemployment system
    Aug. 18, 2021

The campaign wasn’t created because of Elder’s standing in the polls, Kamlager told me, but that “accelerated its intensity.”

Indeed, his candidacy feels personal. Like an insult to Blackness.

L.A. City Councilman Mark Ridley-Thomas: “My grandmother would say, ‘Use your talents and your gifts for good and not to bring other people down — particularly those who don’t deserve to be down.’ And that’s what Larry fails to understand. He’s throwing out all of that rhetoric about minimum wage, all that talk about ‘poverty pimps,’ all that anti-vaccine and all that anti-every-damn-thing. It’s not only politically but intellectually offensive.”

L.A. City Councilman Marqueece Harris-Dawson: “These recalls are clown shows and he is a clown. So it’s not surprising that he signed up for it and is leading it. He’s got a lot of experience being a clown.”

Vicky Abramson, middle, of Valencia attends a rally in Santa Clarita to support recalling Newsom.
    Vicky Abramson, middle, of Valencia attends a rally Sunday in Santa Clarita to support recalling Gov. Newsom.(Francine Orr/Los Angeles Times)
    Earl Ofari Hutchinson, a political analyst and author: “The only positive I see in an Elder candidacy is that it is yet another wake-up call for Democrats, in California and nationally, to not take Black and people of color’s votes and support for granted.”

Najee Ali, a longtime South L.A. activist: “He would be a disaster for the Black community. We would suffer greatly. He’s the Black Trump. And I’m speaking as his friend,” though Ali acknowledges that the friendship is “strained.”

There’s also the fear of how the Republican Party would use Elder, governor of the bluest state in the U.S.

Maddox, the political consultant: “He would be their No. 1 message carrier going into the midterm elections in 2022 and the presidential election in 2024. They would use this guy as a tool — and he would be perfectly willing to be used because that’s what he does already. He’s a foil for those people who want to be convinced that there is no racism in America.”

Abdullah of Black Lives Matter: “Anytime you put a Black face on white supremacy, which is what Larry Elder is, there are people who will utilize that as an opportunity to deny white supremacy. They say, ‘How could this be white supremacy? This is a Black man.’ But everything that he’s pushing, everything that he stands for, he is advancing white supremacy.”

Black people know better than anyone how dangerous Elder is. He is the O.G. troll that no one was supposed to feed. But here we are.

Newsom hasn’t been perfect. It took far too long for the state to roll out COVID-19 tests and vaccines equitably. And if hundreds of thousands of Californians weren’t still waiting on their unemployment checks, the level of fraud and mismanagement of the Employment Development Department would almost be comical.

But, as Kamlager said, “I’m not interested in going back to Jim Crow because I want to have a Black person as governor.”

Duh.
    Dum Spiro Spero

Quote Originally Posted by w33kender View Post
    Well said. Diversity is encouraged in a society except when it comes to ideas.
    Dang, that was a fire quote. Well said.

You should watch White Hot on Netflix. It’s about how Abercrombie and Fitch tanked because they were not diverse and hiring other ethnicities or body types to promote their product. It is basically everything that is wrong w woke culture. If a successful brand that is generally marketed towards white people (bc the company understands their consumer base) only hires attractive white people to model and represent the brand then they are called racist.

What I found interesting about the show is at the beginning it talks about a girl who started off working at FUBU and other brands marketed toward black people. What the show doesn’t discuss is that no one has called out FUBU and others for their marketing scheme. I know your average FUBU customer does not want to see me (a white) in FUBU advertisements. Thus I’m not going to go apply there.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    Forced diversity creates segregation
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

BB, as you and most people know, reverse racism is absolutely acceptable. Encouraged, even.