Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cut the cable/Roku/Smart TV

Default Cut the cable/Roku/Smart TV

Cable TV was costing $200 per month so I shut it off. I've been wanting to do that for a while because I hate knowing that CNN, MSNBC, etc are getting a fairly large chunk of everyone's cable bill even if nobody is watching. Here's some of what I've learned.

Roku is easier, faster and better way to access streaming services than smart TV apps. (I paid $35 for Roku 4k at Walmart, it's free after that)

I got a digital antenna that gets a handful of channels in hi-def for free.

Vudu is free and digitally stores movies purchased with a digital copy. It also has some movies for free. Most are crap but a few are pretty decent and really not available anywhere else.

Pluto TV is a free streaming service and available on Smart TV apps and Roku - it's not bad, especially for free.

If you have Amazon Prime, then you get access to their streaming service for no additional costs.

Youtube has some pretty good stuff in really good quality for free.

The only streaming services I pay for are Netflix, Disney+, ESPN and Hulu - it's less than $33/month. I know, I know, Disney sucks, I keep it because it includes NatGeo streaming. I haven't been cableless through a football season yet so I'll see if I can get by with this arrangement.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

I've been mainly watching tv from the firestick. I still have directv because I was scared to cut the cable too soon. So far so good.

Question for you tech'ees. I do not have cable in my bedroom, only firestick. I recently had to replace my modem as lightning hit it. Since then, the firestick won't work. It goes through the motions of coming up only to keep rebooting.

Fire stick with YouTube is all I ever use anymore.

We have a couple other accounts for movies and stuff but that’s the wife’s deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    I've been mainly watching tv from the firestick. I still have directv because I was scared to cut the cable too soon. So far so good.

Question for you tech'ees. I do not have cable in my bedroom, only firestick. I recently had to replace my modem as lightning hit it. Since then, the firestick won't work. It goes through the motions of coming up only to keep rebooting.
    Throw it in the garbage and order a new one.

sling, I get the golf channel. I don't do other sports, but it has them. it also reminds me a lot of how cable was set up, so it's easy. I've used it for like four years.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post

The only streaming services I pay for are Netflix, Disney+, ESPN and Hulu - it's less than $33/month. I know, I know, Disney sucks, I keep it because it includes NatGeo streaming. I haven't been cableless through a football season yet so I'll see if I can get by with this arrangement.
    add paramount plus and that covers everything you will need

Damn no HBO?

YouTube TV $65mo/ you get everything, including local channels, and UNLIMITED DVR that stores for nine months. It follows you so you can take it wherever you are including iPad, laptop, phone, etc. No wiring it streams wirelessly throughout the house. Golf, NFL, all college sports etc. and all of the apps recognize my subscription so when a particular game is only on ESPN 13 then I can credential into that. So with internet, I am at $140 but have more than I did with cable and its portable. I use Apple TV device mostly but I also use the built-in apps on the TV in one room also. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    sling, I get the golf channel. I don't do sports.
    Fixed it

Quote Originally Posted by CofC Waterfowler View Post
    Damn no HBO?
    I shut off HBO when they tried to push Seabert the Seal down my throat. That was back in the late 1980 when Nicole Kidman was still riding a bike...

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie Glover View Post
    YouTube TV $65mo/ you get everything, including local channels, and UNLIMITED DVR that stores for nine months. It follows you so you can take it wherever you are including iPad, laptop, phone, etc. No wiring it streams wirelessly throughout the house. Golf, NFL, all college sports etc. and all of the apps recognize my subscription so when a particular game is only on ESPN 13 then I can credential into that. So with internet, I am at $140 but have more than I did with cable and its portable. I use Apple TV device mostly but I also use the built-in apps on the TV in one room also. MG
    Thanks I've been considering that since I probably see more Youtube than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggie1976 View Post
    add paramount plus and that covers everything you will need
    Thanks - I saw that on the list but didn't dive into what it had. I do miss Beat Bobby Flay so I need to see if it's still on and who streams it...

Verizon offers the Disney+, ESPN+, and Hulu (w/ ads) bundle for some of their unlimited plans. They also cover the monthly cost of Apple Music. It’s not a bad deal if you’re already a Verizon customer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerbdog View Post
    Verizon offers the Disney+, ESPN+, and Hulu (w/ ads) bundle for some of their unlimited plans. They also cover the monthly cost of Apple Music. It’s not a bad deal if you’re already a Verizon customer.
    I have a Jewish friend from Charleston who mentions this to me but I’m not sure how to go about it …. Especially having an unlimited account through our company
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

I think your numbers are off for Hulu and Netflix. The hulu bundle has diesel and espn+.

The cheapest I am seeing for all that is about $80 per month.

Another thing to note.
    We have a vacation home. Hulu live would not work at both since they are different zip codes.
    youtubetv works at both. That makes youtube tv a lot less expensive in that situation.

A company account may be different.

It took me about two minutes on the phone to do it. I probably could’ve done it quicker online but I wanted to hear them say it wouldn’t lock me in for a certain period of time and verify it wouldn’t change my monthly bill.
    Last edited by Tigerbdog; 05-16-2022 at 01:27 PM.

ESPN only has a few games on Satt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got Disney plus bundled with Hulu and ESPN for $14.97 (that includes taxes) and Netflix for $14.99/month (not counting taxes).

There's really no reason to have regular satellite or cable anymore if you have high speed internet. Youtube TV is the best all around for normal "TV" channels and live sports. You can also share it with family across different zip codes

Any of you guys that have “cut the cable” streaming with Starlink? We still have Dish network active and wanting to disconnect. Haven’t upgraded to smart tv’s because we haven’t had high speed internet in some time. Thinking about going with firesticks, and some of the above mentioned streaming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr