Thread: What do you do with cut-off deer antlers?

Default What do you do with cut-off deer antlers?

From 12 to about 45 I killed deer along and along. The story was always that same, I was sitting there and a deer walked by then I shot him. I've hung most of the antlers in the garage - they kind'a dry rot over time. For the past 10 or so years, though, I've been much more serious about killing deer and the deer have much better stories so the antlers are more meaningful. I would like to keep the antlers somewhere better than the rafters in the garage. I've just been putting them (after they dry) in the bottom of a spare closet but that's starting to fill up to the bottom of the hanging clothes. Is there something artsy I could do with some of the nicer antlers? I have no intention of getting deer head mounted.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

I step on them in the middle of the night when my dog leaves them in the middle of the floor.

I have a pile on top of the cabinets at Ft. Kickass from the deer I killed in my youth. My uh-ohs (deer I should have passed on but they were moving fast and got ground shrinkage) are hung on the outside over a garage bay door. The Euros are hung inside an old dug out pirogue that's hung up on the ceiling of Ft. Kickass and I have two deer mounted that'll make the book but I havent scored them.
    Last edited by BigBrother; 05-06-2022 at 10:54 AM.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Make lamps, chandeliers fixtures with the antlers.

I’ve got one fireplace full and working on the other.

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    Make lamps, chandeliers fixtures with the antlers.
    Here's some ideas for you. But with as many as it sounds like you've got, you could probably build a floor lamp out of them... or a chandelier like 308 mentioned.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=antler+lam...dbac9771af.jpg
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by scmoose View Post
    I step on them in the middle of the night when my dog leaves them in the middle of the floor.
    This right here

Last edited by thunderchicken; 05-06-2022 at 12:19 PM.

If you give 10 people a bag of gold, someone will complain about how heavy it is!

Just pile them up in my hunting room, they last longer in there. My son will spend hours looking at them, one day. I know my brother and I sure as hell did with my dad and grandads racks.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

The dogs get them as chew toys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"

Some are on the wall some are on the floor in the man cave and the rest are in a pile in the shop
    80-20 Genaration

i agree , they make cool looking chandaliers and lamp fixtures, there used to be a fellow in sumter that made them years ago
    Last edited by barrineau; 05-06-2022 at 03:10 PM.

‘Migos pay big dinero for head bones.

I used to throw them on top of my parents well house when I was growing up. No telling how many horns were eaten by squirrels. I try to keep them now but if it's not wall worthy, it's out in my shop.

D5CF37F8-9557-4179-AC78-34AAC42D6388.jpg
    Wife uses them for Christmas decorations. Some are hanging in the garage and some are laying around in my hunting room in the way. I really need to find a place for them out of the way. My dad took all the ones we had at his house from me growing up and used them for his dogs chew toys.

I cut them all off and hang in the shop. Helping clean another members deer once and asked about cutting off the horns. He said it’s just a fork horn. I told him that deer thought just as much of his horns as that 8 pt buck and cut them off.