Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Basic Dog Training

Oh yeah, and we have some (what I believe are) pretty nice shock collars. Is the use of collars frowned-upon or accepted and used?
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

I use a whistle for retriever work but I'm not sure what you would need one for anything related to house dog obedience. I guess maybe to recall your dog if you let him play outside in a large area. E-collars, when used properly, are a great tool. My advice is to educate yourself on how to properly condition the dog to respond to the stimulation. Don't just strap it on and start pushing buttons.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Dude needs to punch himself.
    I'll let him know
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Oh yeah, and we have some (what I believe are) pretty nice shock collars. Is the use of collars frowned-upon or accepted and used?
    Sometimes you gotta let’em ride the lightning
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

All I did was mine was consult Mark Fulmer in Aiken on Clicker training as well as watch all the standing stone kennel videos on youtube for place, heal, sit and come. I found clicker training 15 minutes a day for a couple months to be a great method.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    Sometimes you gotta let’em ride the lightning
    Yes if its a meat head he won't believe you till he rides the lightning. Usually only takes once

Basic dog training with most dogs requires very little pressure either manually or with an e-collar. Commands are usually taught manually first, then conditioned and transitioned to e-collar. If you want to use the e-collar get someone to show you how to use it correctly. Books and internet are a poor substitute for in person instruction. In 10-15 minutes a day, you can make a huge difference.