Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Lettuce Discuss

Quote Originally Posted by YoungBuckTX View Post
    I'm interested to see the results Alabama had with their no decoy rule for the first week.

With the exception removing turkey season, no regulation changes will negate the decrease in population due to habitat loss and nest failure.

I personally believe a major contributing factor is cutting timber to the banks of the creek and planting it all back with pines. Turkeys need hardwood stands and bottomland. Both are disappearing quick in my area and so are the turkeys.
    I think this gets overlooked, a lot. The area I live in used to have a really good turkey population. Over the years it started to shrink and now it's pretty low. It's obvious that just about the only tracts/farms that still have a good amount of turkeys are the lands that have not been cleared and planted back with nothing, but pines.

Quote Originally Posted by ShortMagFan View Post
    Ban male decoys. Or all decoys.

No burning during nesting season

Must have a tag to hunt or call for someone else. If you are a legit guide they can offer a special guiding permit

Raise prices across the board for licenses and tags - resident,non resident, all of it. Use the funds to provide a financial incentive for people to trap

On the out of state quota idea - how do you handle landowners that are residents of another state? I live in NC but have been managing a tract in SC I bought 10 years ago. I’ve put a lot of money and sweat into it for the good of the wildlife. I’ll be damned if I’m going to have to get a quota tag to hunt my own land
    You can loophole your way out of being nonresident pretty easily. Put up a mailbox at your property, “move there” long enough to get an SC drivers license, get a lifetime resident hunting license, then “move back.” Problem solved. I wish I would’ve gotten a lifetime license before I moved out here from Texas. Now it costs me around $300 for a season or $130 for 5 days when I want to go back and hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fowlshot View Post
    On top of the aforementioned causes for declining populations, throw in that turkey hunting is now the cool thing to do the last couple years and every Chad, Brad, and Thad are getting popular on Instagram for reaping and shooting birds over strutter decoys - harvest rates have skyrocketed and in my opinion, at an unsustainable rate.

Pinhoti, Hunting Public, etc are recruiting insane amounts of new turkey hunters and at the drop of a video they are sending dozens if not hundreds of more hunters to places that weren’t even thought of before. I lived in Iowa during the climbing popularity of turkey hunting and could see first hand without a doubt a NOTICEABLE increase in out of state hunters the first time Pinhoti posted a video stating he was in Iowa and there were “1000’s of gobbles”.

Some people are naive, or maybe just ignorant, of the effect that social media has these days. It is asinine to think otherwise.

However, the declining populations are not an easy fix. There are so many variables involved it may be hard to reverse - I do believe the best chance we have is being more strict on decoy usage and bag limits. Somehow maybe incentivizing predator control during nesting season? Just a thought but might be impossible.
    Truth. However, I think it should not go without mention the number of dollars that THP has raised for turkey conservation research and videos to go along with that. At least both THP and Pinhotti do it in a respectable manner and promote doing it the right way. I find their videos more educational than “cool”

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    Limit of 1 before changing methods.

Take away male decoys and a lot of people won’t kill one
    80-20 Genaration

States have banned motion duck decoys, i don’t see why they can’t ban make turkey decoys. The bird I killed a few days ago took me 6 hunts to kill. It crossed my mind a few times in that period that if I had a Tom decoy (or went and purchased one) I could kill him easy. Then my hard headedness kicked back in and said “nah, that ain’t as fun”

Quote Originally Posted by TXFowler View Post
    States have banned motion duck decoys, i don’t see why they can’t ban make turkey decoys. The bird I killed a few days ago took me 6 hunts to kill. It crossed my mind a few times in that period that if I had a Tom decoy (or went and purchased one) I could kill him easy. Then my hard headedness kicked back in and said “nah, that ain’t as fun”

Hard headed like me. There is a huge different between killing turkey and hunting turkey.

ED5CEEDD-D7F3-49CE-BBB1-02CA1F624ABC.jpg Hen came out from under tank. What would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by goob View Post
    ED5CEEDD-D7F3-49CE-BBB1-02CA1F624ABC.jpg Hen came out from under tank. What would you do?
    Pickup and leave a section fallow. Let her nest. Left half acre of hay standing around a nest before.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbduck View Post
    Quota license for non residents. Lower limit to 1 bird. No controlled burning during hatching season. Extend trapping season. Fire ant mitigation. Wildlife violators should get harsher punishments instead of a fine that’s cheaper than most hunt clubs. No reaping - since people have been getting shot lately it seems like it’s the right to to end that. A couple of dry springs could do us a lot of good also. Maybe some wild turkey reintroductions as well.
    I’m fine with no mass nesting season burns on state land but not for the private land owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    We’ll bill put it this way I’ve killed a bunch by using a male decoy over the years. Have no problem with banning them. Seen the affects. At one time people always talked about the old field gobbler that no one could kill, well now a day they just stick a strutter up in the field and 9 out of 10 times he comes running. Just watch and tv show. They don’t hunt without one because they want results. Now their are some that will comment on here and say get rid of pop up blinds. Their a way of hiding. Never seen a gobbler run across a field to one unless it had a male decoy standing in front of it. Sooo if that’s the case then you shouldn’t be able to wear camo if shooting them with a gun
    A old gobbler will run to a blind in the middle of a field without a decoy at all. Ask me how I know.

That is what I did. Still a high chance of failure from predation.

1) Cut out youth season before the regular season. They moved the regular season back to allow more breeding but placed youth season during that same time frame. A LOT of birds are being killed early because of youth season. If you want your kid to kill a turkey then don’t be selfish and let them hunt with you during the regular season.
    2) Stop the use of male decoys. Yes, I love watching a gobbler charge in and blow up on a male decoy but I also know it’s causing a lot of gobblers to die by morons that couldn’t kill one at a turkey farm.
    3) Somehow promote burning during the proper time. Maybe even allocate some funds to be given to the forestry commission to assist landowners w/ burning. A lot of people don’t burn because they’re hesitant because of their lack of knowledge on how to burn or because of the liability associated w/ burning.

I really think the single biggest factor in the overall reduction of turkey numbers is due to habitat loss. Either from logging or development. Neither of these is going to change.

Having to hear about how some of y’all “do it the right way” gets pretty old after a while and is probably a big turnoff to some of the people who you’re trying to change their opinion.

Just a thought

I’m taking a 10yr old boy in the morning who has tried very hard all season to kill a bird and we haven’t been able to make it work. If I owned a strutter decoy and a blind we’d camp out all day tomorrow until he killed one or the sun went down on us
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Serious question though,

Isn’t there talk and a theory about that the population levels seen in the 90’s and 2000’s were basically unsustainable and that we’re seeing now is basically a correction in nature and these populations are going to be the new sustainable normal?

I thought I read/heard that somewhere but maybe I didn’t or just misunderstood entirely….
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Shooting Tom’s has no real affect on the turkey population.

Default Lettuce Discuss

Just raise your kids like Theron,

Garrett, Ricky, Boozer, Beau, James, Shane, Tom, Griffin, Alex, McWatty, Bolt, Gene, Glenn, Murph, Jeff, and Scott.

Fanning/reaping, scoot&shoot, is a cheat code. #banthefan

Help raise/donate money to help fund good research

Do what research says.

Two state biologists say we just need to kill them later.
    “Kill em, just wait a little bit longer to start.”
    Last edited by britton40; 05-08-2022 at 06:26 PM.

How about no jakes. I’m not exactly sure how many are killed each year but that would be a good start. Of course I’ve killed my fair share like everyone else but really what’s the point? It’s been a long time and I will never shoot one again.

Quote Originally Posted by SCBUCKSLAYER View Post
    How about no jakes. I’m not exactly sure how many are killed each year but that would be a good start. Of course I’ve killed my fair share like everyone else but really what’s the point? It’s been a long time and I will never shoot one again.
    You lose me there. Why would killing a Jake over a gobbler be worse for the population?

I am not a turkey hunter. I’ll go if invited because it’s fun to do but I don’t have my own land, don’t want to pay for a turkey lease, and don’t care enough to fight idiots on public. So for someone who doesn’t really turkey hunt I think I have an unbiased and clear view of things.

Here is everything I see wrong:

1.) strutter decoys - I know guys who will limit in multiple states, claiming themselves to be great turkey hunters but will refuse to hunt with out a strutter bc then it would be hard.

2.) Social media - nothing makes me want to go turkey hunt more than watching videos of turkeys getting their heads rocked. From the full pinhoti videos to the 5 second clips on Instagram. If those videos weren’t around I’d care less about turkey hunting than I already do bc I wouldn’t ever know how fun it is. I was at a Church luncheon the other day and I overheard a guy telling a story about a recent hunt he went on at his in-laws place. He said he wasn’t a huge turkey hunter but watched videos and wanted to go and got lucky enough to shoot a hen...this is the what social media does.

3.) tagging out in multiple states/people shooting more than their tags - it was mentioned in another thread but just think of the small section of the US turkey hunter population that SCDucks makes up. There are already a good number of people on here who will tag out in SC then go on to tag out in other states as well. So imagine the other hundreds or thousands of hunters that are doing that also across the country. And of all these people, how many are working to save/restore/conserve the population in their own state let alone the other states they’re killing birds in? Probably very little.

On top of that the amount of turkey hunters that are above the law and think they deserve to kill as many birds as they want to bc damn they’re just that good at it.

I think all of these things lead to a decline in the numbers. You can say that oh the burning during nesting, or oh fire ants, whatever else. Yeah those are all issues, but do they really matter if we’re over harvesting the birds that are already here? And at what point did we reach as a society the outlook of, “well I’ve worked hard to kill a turkey and haven’t been able to yet so I’m going to use a decoy because I deserve to kill a bird.” No clearly you don’t deserve to because, A.) animals are not our God given right, we aren’t promised a bird for good behavior, and B.) you don’t deserve to kill one bc you must not be that good at hunting.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

I don't know as much as many of you on here but I wouldn't mind a later season to give the birds a better chance to breed. As well as getting rid of full strut decoys and reaping. Something like April 5th-May 5th for game zones 3 & 4 with 1 gobbler in the first 7 days. It would be nice to see more people use some self restraint but I don't know how a change of laws could help in that case. There's too many people who kill every gobbler they have on a property and wonder why the population is declining.