Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Lettuce Discuss

Quote Originally Posted by PharmHunter View Post
    He's referring to that fact that hens are supposed to go to the gobbler, not the other way around. Gobblers gobble, strut, drum, display for the purpose of attracting the hens To him. We play on their inability to resist what drives most males of all species crazy in nature.
    do they not go to hens vocalizing or other gobbles sometimes? naturally. otherwise how would it even work?
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

Quote Originally Posted by drwilly View Post
    do they not go to hens vocalizing or other gobbles sometimes? naturally. otherwise how would it even work?
    Certainly sometimes, yes. That's what we try to make them do. Not exactly how nature seems to have intended it though, with most bird species, is what I and most have always inferred. Females go to the males. By nothing but personal observation, I'd say it's absolutely how the turkeys want it to happen and there's plenty of science to say so. And, yes that's exactly the point that it doesn't work a lot of the time. Which would be okay, but we've taken to too many cheat codes just to Kill them. IMO

Did the guy that bitched about being left out of the secret turkey club ever get his hat? This thread is a beautiful thing and makes up for the unusually quiet April. Carry on.

Fanning/Reaping a turkey is just like shooting a deer at night with a flashlight. There's very little to feel accomplished since it's a huge disadvantage to the prey.. And now we have cell cameras to tell us exactly when to hunt. It's taken the "hunt" out of it for many.
    Last edited by FOWL MOUTH; 05-10-2022 at 11:13 AM.

I agree that “if too many turkeys are being killed, we need to kill less”. I am just not sure too many turkeys are being killed. I think there are certain field turkeys that were just damn hard to kill with traditional methods. In my experience, those turkeys tend to have large harems of hens, which we can mostly agree would be good for the population long term. Reaping/fanning has changed that, and actually makes those birds an easier target than other gobblers. I am not saying that a person shouldn’t enjoy reaping that turkey. I’m not saying that I wouldn’t enjoy it. I am saying that I don’t think it is a safe thing to do, and if we are concerned about populations going forward, helping erase a safety concern and helping the bird can both be done by banning the practice.

Blinds are another issue, and there is absolutely no way or reason to suggest banning them. I would like to suggest that hunters get out and learn to hide from turkeys, but not even I am arrogant enough to suggest that someone who enjoys that shouldn’t do it. I think there’s a more rewarding way, but that is my opinion. Hunting is supposed to be fun, and I’m not here to tell people how they should have fun.

As Pharm said, there is only so much of this we can control. I trap the properties I hunt. I have clearly made a difference in predator levels, as I am catching less predators each year, using more traps. We restrict how many turkeys we kill, and the date we start killing them. We manage habitat for adult turkeys and poult production/survival as best we can. We are controlling what we can control. We need to continually educate ourselves on what is best for the turkey. I completely understand that if we want to do what is best for the turkey, we wouldn’t hunt them at all. I’m not willing to do that, yet. I know how many I have, and kill less than what would be an appropriate number.

We know far more about turkeys than we did 10 years ago, or even 5 years ago. More research is being done than ever. Those that care to educate themselves have more research and data available than ever. What we know is continuing to evolve. If we can have open discussion with minimal name calling, I think we can make progress to what we all want. I assume we all want as many turkeys to hunt as possible, while leaving more for our kids than we started with. That is going to require some sacrifices.

If there is anything that has chapped my ass during the debate on Instagram its Waddell’s contention that you should do whatever you want to do, as “we only get one lap”. That is ignorant and incredibly short-sighted. I look it at it more like a never ending relay race, where the goal is to hand it to the next runner with as big of a lead as possible, with the charge for them to increase that lead. That has certainly not always been my attitude, but I’d like to think that I’ve gotten a little smarter and more mature over the years.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Waddell and his attitude is pure white trash, the end.

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    Nitro I don't think you can see the forest for the trees. I would argue that most of us on here, including myself agree with some of your sentiments. But when you act like such a pompous ass it's just too hard not to make fun of you. Especially when you dive down deep and pull so much drag.
    ahem
    notice i havent commented on this thread (other than letting Bog know the same is true from the other side of the road)

and, FWIW, "Go F yourself" is internet speak for "this is important to me." let's not take ourselves too seriously. Old people (mergie and nitro) have some experience that the newer outdoorsman should listen to. Its too bad we've gotten to a point in society where civility is no more.

I blame Trump.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

So can we kill turkeys or no? I am confused?
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Quote Originally Posted by sc sportsman View Post
    The thread seems to be about fanning and reaping turkeys which I agree is a major problem for a few reasons. It has also been agreed upon by many responses in the thread that the population decline is a multifaceted issue and we cannot point the finger at one root cause, definitively. If we agree that there are many factors in play with the majority agreeing that too many turkeys are being killed and being killed too early, is it fair to say that as it stands now, there needs to be reduced overall pressure on the turkey? it seems (to me) a sacrafice is going to have to be made by both sides of this argmument to acheive the overall goal of restoring a dwindling population.
    agree with this....and this is where we are heading. season already moved from previous years. its gonna hurt some feelings but apr 10-may 1st-ish is what we need. two bird limit.

and since i made the mistake of commenting on this thread, we need to police ourselves. over-harvesting or not reporting birds should be frowned upon in such a way that the offender knows what people think of him or her. I hear it too often but let it slide. it just shouldn't.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    So……….

If I follow, then setting up under a tree at daylight with just leafy flauge, box or slate call, and shotgun = hunting ducks in the wild with just decoys and a call.

Hunting turkeys by riding around in a truck til you see a gobbler strutting, then down winding him and setting up a hen decoy = standard corn pond hunt.

Hunting turkeys with gobbler decoys, strutter, fanning, reaping, etc = release pond mally whackin.
    Never compare turkeys to ducks. Anyone can put out a decoy and kill a turkey. Not anyone can put out a decoy and kill a duck!
    867-5309

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    Huge difference in deer hunting and Spring turkey hunting.

Deer hunting is merely a sport of taking an elevated position and killing an animal as it walks by you. There are a bunch of gimmicks out there to defeat a deer unfairly too- defeating a deer's nose with Ozonics or other scent control devices are just two examples.

Traditional Spring Turkey hunting is an interactive sport - you are reversing nature and calling the bird to you. Much more difficult a proposition. It takes skill. Knowing where to set up and the skill in using whatever call you can operate well enough to convince him to approach.

If you can't understand these differences, there is nothing else to be said.

You keep saying that last line in one form or another then turn around and repeat yourself again and again. Just stop talking.

I'm cool with 2 turkeys. I can't afford 3 with TSS prices.

Quote Originally Posted by BRR View Post
    Waddell and his attitude is pure white trash, the end.
    Like him or not Waddell is selling his sponsors gadgets whether he really uses them or not. Most commenting here are not selling turkey gadgets for a living.

As much as I'd like to stay at 3 turkeys I'm not against going to 2 if necessary. I would like to see a later season for game zone 4 like we used to have. Either starting April 1st again or something similar to NC where it opens the second week in April. If we stick with 3 birds I still think limiting it to 1 bird in the first 7-10 days of the season is a good idea.

Forget about the Gelgameks

A4B88197-CE50-4893-A885-A02A27E2A6F6.jpg

Yet another reason I support Mossy Oak.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ1012 View Post
    A4B88197-CE50-4893-A885-A02A27E2A6F6.jpg

Yet another reason I support Mossy Oak.

You reckon that was Nitro he was talking to at the gas station??
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    You reckon that was Nitro he was talking to at the gas station??
    Could’ve been a lot of us. I would’ve told the guy the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    ahem
    notice i havent commented on this thread (other than letting Bog know the same is true from the other side of the road)

and, FWIW, "Go F yourself" is internet speak for "this is important to me." let's not take ourselves too seriously. Old people (mergie and nitro) have some experience that the newer outdoorsman should listen to. Its too bad we've gotten to a point in society where civility is no more.

I blame Trump.
    Get off your lawn? Basically. And if I can't blame trump I blame you fyi. Basically if it's not done your way then it shouldn't be done? That's what I hear a lot of in this thread.

ETA not saying you personally 2th. I'm painting all you old people with the same brush.

Also to add I agree with most of this. Fanning is dumb, so is a lot of other methods. That said, some self righteous elitist who's shit don't stink should do his own thing and let others do theirs. As long as it's legal
    Last edited by TheVisorGuy; 05-10-2022 at 02:08 PM.
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid