Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Lettuce Discuss

Deer are infinitely smarter than turkeys.

How would people feel about a quota? Telecheck strictly enforced. Once state quota has been reached the season cuts off? It could even account for different zones. Eat tag soup so to speak? Would that not help populations public or not? If it did/would/could/can help populations grow/stay sustainable would you feel it was best for the bird or be against it because it may not be the best for you? I am by no means saying I am a proponent of this but would like to hear feedback from the people who are knowledgeable on the turkeys and such. It's just a thought.
    Last edited by willk; 05-10-2022 at 09:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Deer are infinitely smarter than turkeys.
    Agreed - until you eliminate it's best defense mechanism , it's nose.

Kinda like using a Strutting decoy to eliminate a Gobbler's natural defense mechanism of it's eyesight and innate wariness.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    Huge difference in deer hunting and Spring turkey hunting.

Deer hunting is merely a sport of taking an elevated position and killing an animal as it walks by you. There are a bunch of gimmicks out there to defeat a deer unfairly too- defeating a deer's nose with Ozonics or other scent control devices are just two examples.

Traditional Spring Turkey hunting is an interactive sport - you are reversing nature and calling the bird to you. Much more difficult a proposition. It takes skill. Knowing where to set up and the skill in using whatever call you can operate well enough to convince him to approach.

If you can't understand these differences, there is nothing else to be said.
    Give me a break. Turkeys don’t sit on some hierarchy of hunting. It’s no different than deer hunting. If you choose you can stalk and call deer. Moving and rattling does work during certain times in sc. I love turkey hunting but it is no different than any other form of hunting.

You Sir, are making the case for me.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

87056F12-0BED-4279-9191-A816B024F438.jpg

I’m curious to know what Calibogue edited on TurkeyKillers post.
    Did he add to or take away?
    Last edited by Duck cutter; 05-10-2022 at 09:35 AM.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    87056F12-0BED-4279-9191-A816B024F438.jpg

I’m curious to know what Calibogue edited on TurkeyKillers post.
    Did he add to or take away?
    Nothing nefarious. I had posted information about something forthcoming that had not been announced. I was unaware that it was not to be announced at this time, was on a work call, and he chose to edit it before it got quoted
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Can someone just give nitro the Turkey God award? We should hold him the the highest standard. The next turkey he kills should be done with no calls, bare hands while wearing a loin cloth. Which of course he will tell you he's already done with Dave Owens
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

If I wanted to learn about nailing a shingle to a board, I would defer to your expertise. Perhaps , you should read, and learn from people who have some experience in the matter of this discussion...if you can.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

This thread is going well

There was a time here when folks came to learn and enjoy the knowledge some people shared. That time is long over. Now, certain folks just enjoy running their mouths and adding nothing of value to the conversation.
    Last edited by nitro5x6's; 05-10-2022 at 10:05 AM.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

There was a time here when folks came to learn and enjoy the knowledge some people shared. That time is long over. Now, certain folks just enjoy running their mouths and adding nothing of value to the conversation.
    Learn what that your a dick trying to dictate to others how they should hunt. At least trkykilr is reasonable about it. Safety issue of reaping is reasonable. Turkey decoys and blinds are not.
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 05-10-2022 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    Can someone just give nitro the Turkey God award? We should hold him the the highest standard. The next turkey he kills should be done with no calls, bare hands while wearing a loin cloth. Which of course he will tell you he's already done with Dave Owens
    i laughed
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

Nitro I don't think you can see the forest for the trees. I would argue that most of us on here, including myself agree with some of your sentiments. But when you act like such a pompous ass it's just too hard not to make fun of you. Especially when you dive down deep and pull so much drag.
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

I learn a lot, even if my opinions don't change instantly or ever. You're not giving enough credit to those who disagree with you. With all due respect.

The thread seems to be about fanning and reaping turkeys which I agree is a major problem for a few reasons. It has also been agreed upon by many responses in the thread that the population decline is a multifaceted issue and we cannot point the finger at one root cause, definitively. If we agree that there are many factors in play with the majority agreeing that too many turkeys are being killed and being killed too early, is it fair to say that as it stands now, there needs to be reduced overall pressure on the turkey? it seems (to me) a sacrafice is going to have to be made by both sides of this argmument to acheive the overall goal of restoring a dwindling population.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntin Ace View Post
    You are exactly right sc sportsman

You are reversing nature by calling him to you.
    I agree w your sentiment for the most part. like bow hunting or fly fishing makes it harder or purer or better or whatever. However, explain the above quote. so a turkey won't come to another turkey that's calling to him? how is this reversing nature if it is you calling him?
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

If to many turkey are being killed it doesn't matter who kills them or how they kill them. Reducing the limit for all would help with over harvest not matter how much you want to hunt for 40 some odd days. Man cannot control nature and usually make a mess when he tries to, so control the only two thing you can seasons and limits. Better not wait to long like they did with deer limits. I know this will not be popular with turkey hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by drwilly View Post
    I agree w your sentiment for the most part. like bow hunting or fly fishing makes it harder or purer or better or whatever. However, explain the above quote. so a turkey won't come to another turkey that's calling to him? how is this reversing nature if it is you calling him?
    He's referring to that fact that hens are supposed to go to the gobbler, not the other way around. Gobblers gobble, strut, drum, display for the purpose of attracting the hens To him. We play on their inability to resist what drives most males of all species crazy in nature.

What is equally interesting to me is the hunting methods that have been developed post "reaping". In my early turkey hunting years it was known that you didn't try to stalk a turkey. It was nearly impossible, or so I was taught. Watching the YouTubers move on and frequently stalk into position for the shot (hung up bird) it was a shock.

Dave Owens/THP come to mind but they were also the early YT'ers. I wonder how many birds they would kill if not for the crawling.

Before anyone thinks I'm getting all high and mighty, I use decoys (hen or jake) sometimes and have used a strutter before. The strutter has been living in my attic for a LONG time. I'd be fine if male decoys were made illegal, same as mojos for ducks.
    Vegetarian: Native American for Piss Poor Hunter