Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Lettuce Discuss

Default Lettuce Discuss

There is a lot of chatter regarding harvest methods of wild turkeys. Things are changing and are going to continue to change, as it pertains to regulations/limits/methods. I will go ahead and admit that I have killed turkeys in plenty of ways that I’m not so proud of now, but made some sense at the time. This may go quite poorly, but I would really enjoy an open discussion surrounding fanning/male decoys/tss/pressure/selective harvest/habitat management.

What ya got?
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Must have a tag to call or hunt.

I’m am not for telling people how they can kill their x number of turkeys.

Noses will turn upward in 3....2....1....

Quote Originally Posted by mudnut1970 View Post
    Must have a tag to call or hunt.
    Fully agree. Would save a lot of birds.

Quota license for non residents. Lower limit to 1 bird. No controlled burning during hatching season. Extend trapping season. Fire ant mitigation. Wildlife violators should get harsher punishments instead of a fine that’s cheaper than most hunt clubs. No reaping - since people have been getting shot lately it seems like it’s the right to to end that. A couple of dry springs could do us a lot of good also. Maybe some wild turkey reintroductions as well.

I'm interested to see the results Alabama had with their no decoy rule for the first week.

With the exception removing turkey season, no regulation changes will negate the decrease in population due to habitat loss and nest failure.

I personally believe a major contributing factor is cutting timber to the banks of the creek and planting it all back with pines. Turkeys need hardwood stands and bottomland. Both are disappearing quick in my area and so are the turkeys.

April 5-may 1
    3 bird limit(1 in first 7 days)
    Wmas open sat sun
    Trespassing to turkey hunt 2 year minimum no hunting…caught killing more than three same
    "And ignoring people on here....that's like being home schooled. Just say you're not ready to face life." Highstrung

We’ll bill put it this way I’ve killed a bunch by using a male decoy over the years. Have no problem with banning them. Seen the affects. At one time people always talked about the old field gobbler that no one could kill, well now a day they just stick a strutter up in the field and 9 out of 10 times he comes running. Just watch and tv show. They don’t hunt without one because they want results. Now their are some that will comment on here and say get rid of pop up blinds. Their a way of hiding. Never seen a gobbler run across a field to one unless it had a male decoy standing in front of it. Sooo if that’s the case then you shouldn’t be able to wear camo if shooting them with a gun
    80-20 Genaration

I’ve been saying it for years. SC forestry practices have decimated the quail and turkey populations.

Saw 4 coveys of quail in last few days. Guess what not a single one was in a stand of pine trees.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungBuckTX View Post
    I'm interested to see the results Alabama had with their no decoy rule for the first week.

With the exception removing turkey season, no regulation changes will negate the decrease in population due to habitat loss and nest failure.

I personally believe a major contributing factor is cutting timber to the banks of the creek and planting it all back with pines. Turkeys need hardwood stands and bottomland. Both are disappearing quick in my area and so are the turkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbduck View Post
    Quota license for non residents. Lower limit to 1 bird. No controlled burning during hatching season. Extend trapping season. Fire ant mitigation. Wildlife violators should get harsher punishments instead of a fine that’s cheaper than most hunt clubs. No reaping - since people have been getting shot lately it seems like it’s the right to to end that. A couple of dry springs could do us a lot of good also. Maybe some wild turkey reintroductions as well.
    Ha they make it tough enough on non residents. $100 for tags and deer tags are also lots of $$$. Taxes for non residents also $$$

Habitat, predator control, Jake/gobbler decoy ban. Personally I think they should wait a few years and see how the new regulations put in effect last year work. Not everyone has a shortage of turkeys…

Banning reaping and fanning will save some turkeys for sure but the guys that can’t reap them will still be setup 20 yds behind their strutter or jake decoy and once the turkey is within eyesight, the reaction is the same. I don’t agree with fanning a turkey but I also don’t see much of a difference between reaping a turkey in a field and sitting over a male decoy in a field. Decoys today are incredibly lifelike and leaps and bounds ahead of where they were 10 years ago. I believe a few things, 1: Decoys in general are an issue and causing an increased harvest but I dont think you can ban them all together at this stage in the game. 2: our population issue is very complex and bad recruitment and over harvest seem to be playing a major role. 3. If both points above are even remotely close to being true then one thing that would help turkeys is less of them being killed, regardless of how they’re being killed. If we as hunters aren’t going to show self restraint and hold back some then they’ll have to lower bag limits and limit opportunity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntin Ace View Post
    You are exactly right sc sportsman

Ban male decoys. Or all decoys.

No burning during nesting season

Must have a tag to hunt or call for someone else. If you are a legit guide they can offer a special guiding permit

Raise prices across the board for licenses and tags - resident,non resident, all of it. Use the funds to provide a financial incentive for people to trap

On the out of state quota idea - how do you handle landowners that are residents of another state? I live in NC but have been managing a tract in SC I bought 10 years ago. I’ve put a lot of money and sweat into it for the good of the wildlife. I’ll be damned if I’m going to have to get a quota tag to hunt my own land

On top of the aforementioned causes for declining populations, throw in that turkey hunting is now the cool thing to do the last couple years and every Chad, Brad, and Thad are getting popular on Instagram for reaping and shooting birds over strutter decoys - harvest rates have skyrocketed and in my opinion, at an unsustainable rate.

Pinhoti, Hunting Public, etc are recruiting insane amounts of new turkey hunters and at the drop of a video they are sending dozens if not hundreds of more hunters to places that weren’t even thought of before. I lived in Iowa during the climbing popularity of turkey hunting and could see first hand without a doubt a NOTICEABLE increase in out of state hunters the first time Pinhoti posted a video stating he was in Iowa and there were “1000’s of gobbles”.

Some people are naive, or maybe just ignorant, of the effect that social media has these days. It is asinine to think otherwise.

However, the declining populations are not an easy fix. There are so many variables involved it may be hard to reverse - I do believe the best chance we have is being more strict on decoy usage and bag limits. Somehow maybe incentivizing predator control during nesting season? Just a thought but might be impossible.

In Mississippi, private land is exempt from the non resident quota license to avoid that issue. Probably is the best way to go about that.

The key word is efficiency.

Over thousands of years man has evolved very efficiently in the killing of turkeys. Sticks, rocks, traps, slingshots, arrows, muzzleloaders, rifles, shotguns, x-full chokes, copper plated shot, tungsten, TSS…the list goes on.

The only thing in turkey hunting that hasn’t become more efficient is the turkey. It’s the exact same turkey as thousands of years ago when the Indians were killing them. Same habits, survivability, and instincts.

The question that todays hunters have to ask themselves is if their method of hunting has crossed the line and is too efficient for the longevity of the turkey population.

I haven’t killed a turkey in years and don’t care much about them but try to help them if I can. I tried asking about avoiding busting up nests on here and didn’t get any responses. I figured with all the closet biologists here that someone would be able to give me a ballpark date on when I could start planting without crushing a nest.

And restricting prescribed burning dates will not go well.

Limit of 1 before changing methods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A forest mulcher will bring death to a hen and her nest. Got two hens and nest a week ago. They don’t see it coming and I didn’t see it until to late.

Social media has shown us that there have always been people out there “doing it the right way/traditional way, yelping up a turkey without decoys, etc.”. Social media has also shown us that there are a lot more people out there as of recent that are taking advantage of new methods and having the same success without the same type of woodsmanship and perceived skill. Both sides are still killing a lot of turkeys and in many cases killing as many as they are legally allowed to kill in as many states as they can hit. It’s easy for both sides to point the finger but until both sides agree that they need to change the way they’re doing things I think all you’ll see out of this social media chatter is the government stepping in and limiting access for everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntin Ace View Post
    You are exactly right sc sportsman