Thread: What do you do.........

.....when the fish stop biting?
    troll the super secret baits/lures?
    change troll speed?
    turn up the stereo and drink cold beer?

ALL OF THE ABOVE, i have found that more times than not, option three (MUSIC AND BEER) works the best.
    It\'s better to burn out than to fade away.

Well, if your talkin about offshore trolling for meat or billfish, reel in all the lines and run offshore till you find something. Back in the day, we used to run offshore till we found birds or a weedline or something that jumped out at us. We generally ended up well beyond the break but I can't remember a day when we didn't crush everyone else when comparing catches. Out there you find the big schools of larger yellowfin, lots of gaffer dolphin and your odds of seeing a marlin increase as you move farther from the hill. Seeing a billfish makes my day. Anything on top of that is gravy.

For some reason a lot of people can't seem to bring themselves to pass the 30 fathom curve. [img]graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
    That kills me! Back when I used to fish out of Morehead City we called that "plowing". Sure you could grind it out on the rock or the 30 fathom all day and catch a handfull of wahoo, dolphin and kingfish but the deal really starts in about 300 fathoms. The fish are generally bigger off in the deep.

300 FATHOMS....MAN THATS DEEP,I MIGHT WET MY HAT IF I FALL IN!!

I agree,go find something/anything that says "Fish Here".Patience is one thing but dragging around in the same old tired ass dead water don't cut it....Go find where the "Gettin' On Place Is"!!

FW,Where's that boat.....Jesus will be back before them boys finish at this rate!
    \"BANG BANG...Wish they\'d give me some bullets for this gun!\"....Joey from \"Shane\"

I have caught a whole lot more big fish in 150-600 feet of water than I ever have in 1800.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

StainUm...if I think about it I get pissed off.

Sushi...if you pull blue and white you catch fish on blue and white. If you drag your mess around in 30 fathoms thats were you'll catch all your fish. What I'm talking about is much like a scientific experiment. The control group was about fifty boats that parked their asses between the scarp and the hole in 250 foot of water. The experimental group was us, the Skeebo, 20 miles further offshore and smokin their asses every single friggin day. If it weren't true I wouldn't say it. This went on from early spring right through the dog days of summer on into the fall.

Forget depth. What were talking about here is fish migrating in the gulfstream. Current, temperature and bait are the most important factors. By going away from shallow water the only thing you limit is the number of wahoo bites.

I've seen that boat SkeeBo. Who built that boat...is'nt some kind of Carolina boat? I have'nt seen it in several years.

The Lee boys contracted Capt BC to build the first Skeebo. She was somewhere between 53 and 55 feet in length and was the best fishing boat I have ever stepped aboard.

The second boat was built by Bobby Croswait, BC's Son-in-law, and it was 68 feet in length. It was probably the best custom built seaboat I have ever had the pleasure of fishing aboard.

They sold the 53' in the late 90s and it took a couple of years to build the 68'. They sold it two years ago at the Miami Boat Show.

They have regretted selling the 53' to this day. It is now a charter boat at Pirates Cove in Manteo. I think it's called the Reel Deal...dumbass name but coolass boat.

I saw the 68' at the Big Rock several yrs ago and I've seen the Reel Deal as well. Both very awesome boats. :thumbs2:
    I don't think there are many Croswait boats out there. I only know of one for sale right now.

I was fishing on the 68' during that tournament. So was Bobby Croswait. Up until he built that boat he worked for BC.

That boat could take a 6-8' headsea at thirty knots and instead of falling off into the trough it felt like it surged when it went through a swell. Damndest thing I've ever seen.

FishWhistle I actually believe there is a subject you know a little about. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/fu.gif[/img]
    More fuel = more boost!!

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

KRT,
    FW is a well rounded man! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

skeebo has a HUGE cockpit. i saw it in miami when it was up for sale........ i thought it was three years ago though.

we fish all over the ocean. if there is no bite we spend a large portion of our time running and looking for the right conditions and that has paid off plenty of times.
    wherever we go we bring monkey with us

Fish Whistle, what kind of boat do you own?? I saw a boat Sat. pulling into Seel's in Charleston, I think it was a 24' Sea Hunt w/ a 250 Yammy. The Boat was named Fish Whistle.

FishWhistle don't fish, he just talks a big game.
    More fuel = more boost!!

FW,

You are right about going out to where the sea monsters live. Many people in NC are not given the chance to catch LFT (Albacore). It's even a farther trip for those in SC.

As for boats go I'll take a Willis boat any day of the week. Actually I'll take any custom built NC boat. They know what they are doing from Wanchese to Harkers Island to New Bern to Beaufort(bofort).

OSD glad you had a decent day.

Though KRT I think FW does know what he is talking about.

Originally posted by KRT:
    FishWhistle don't fish, he just talks a big game.
    [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img] I have been exposed for the fraud that I am.

DC, I don't even own a john boat dude...I'm what you would call professional balast.