Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hearing

Default Hearing

From the other thread-

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    Frankly, I'd look into some good in-the-ear digital plugs.
    As many clays as some of you try to bust, you people are hopefully wearing something for protection. What brands are considered the "ones to have" by you people in 2022? Surely they have made some advances since 2005 when we bought ESP's.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    From the other thread-

As many clays as some of you try to bust, you people are hopefully wearing something for protection. What brands are considered the "ones to have" by you people in 2022? Surely they have made some advances since 2005 when we bought ESP's.
    Not sure what folks are using but I have a bucket full of hearing issues. My audiologist told me the digital in the canal plugs, while better than nothing, aren't as effective as needed. She recommend foam in the canal plugs AND muffs when shooting.

If I put foam in my right ear, I am deaf as a post. Left ear was done in an instant when a buddy shot with his barrel right next to it. "But it was a pintail". I knew right then I would be someday be old and still pissed about that..

I've had tetras for just shy of a year now. The only thing I don't care for is the mechanism for turning them on/off, you have to open the battery door to turn them off. Why they couldn't have made an on/off button or dial is beyond me. But other than that, they work and block out wind very well.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    I've had tetras for just shy of a year now. The only thing I don't care for is the mechanism for turning them on/off, you have to open the battery door to turn them off. Why they couldn't have made an on/off button or dial is beyond me. But other than that, they work and block out wind very well.
    I've been considering Tetras. Which model do you have that blocks wind noise?

The tetras are good. I use them for upland mostly and the few duck hunts I go on. It takes a few minutes for my ears to adjust but after that I forget that they are there. I can still hear a bird flush almost as loud as if it was naked ear.

Anything high volume the best you can get is the custom molded.

Quote Originally Posted by Scattergun View Post
    I've been considering Tetras. Which model do you have that blocks wind noise?
    I got the upland model, not the custom-molded ones. I've worn them hunting deer, doves, ducks, upland, and dog training. Blowing a call wasn't a steep learning curve like I feared it would be. But I don't call that well either so..
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

I'll be getting my son some nicer molded hearing protection.

I'm just going to live with my tinnitus that I've had for years.

I am paying the price from shooting alot in my younger years without ear plugs. Almost deaf in my left ear and not much better in my right.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    I'll be getting my son some nicer molded hearing protection.

I'm just going to live with my tinnitus that I've had for years.
    People commit suicide over tinnitus. I'm fortunate mine is a sound I can live with. Sounds like cicadas in my head 24/7/365

my left has been gone, I doesn't bother me that bad. If you think I'm not paying attention to someone it's probably because I can't hear if it's in a crowd, not because I'm an asshole if you're thinking that.. but I don't care you if think that.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    People commit suicide over tinnitus. I'm fortunate mine is a sound I can live with. Sounds like cicadas in my head 24/7/365
    Same here. I don't even notice it unless I intentionally listen for it. It just blends in to every day sounds otherwise.

I bought these a few months ago. Great customer service. I have the in canal ones. They’re also blue tooth. https://otoprotechnologies.com/
    Go Tigers!!!

I remember when I could still hear tinnitus in my left ear..

Strike that. I still can. Blends right in with the right one which screams 24/7..

i ignore all the sounds/voices in my head
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Electric muffs almost always. And I wear foam with them at the range. I've noticed a lot of hearing lose over the last few years. It's very depressing.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Steelin' Ducks is the KRT of suppressors and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Me too!!

Going Thursday to the ear doc to look into hearing aids…..

Right handed shooters usually lose the left ear hearing first. The act of shouldering the gun and putting your right cheek to the stock protects the right ear. Some.

Now, when you have a gun just go off near either ear, you're screwed. I can name the 3 times I know most impacted my hearing.

I now have a pair of hearing aids made by a company out of Germany called Widex. They interact with my phone. But now I can hear crap I would rather not hear.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    i ignore all the sounds/voices in my head
    i have conversations with mine while my ears are ringing
    Windows Down!

Being a birder with bad ears is very frustrating. I wish I could go back in time and kick my own butt for not taking better care of my hearing.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.