Thread: Tohatsu vs. Yamaha

Default Tohatsu vs. Yamaha

Replacing that 90 2 Stroke with a 4 stroke 90. I would have thought the Tohatsu would have been significantly less than the Yamaha but with controls, tach and SS prop, there wasn’t much difference. Yamaha is 3yr on the warranty, Tohatsu is 5yr. Lots of dealer support for a Yamaha here though.

Which one?
    Last edited by Saltydog235; 05-03-2022 at 07:45 PM.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I’d stick with Yamaha for local service

Yamaha warranty is better and more accessible.
    Tohatsu has a lot of hoops to go through in order to keep yours under warranty for those 5 years.

That being said I was between a Yamaha F60 and a Tohatsu 60 a while back.
    I went Tohatsu and have absolutely no regrets.

What are you putting it on and what are you trying to get out of the motor (speed, cruising, lightweight, etc…)?

Why no consideration for Suzuki?

Quote Originally Posted by Smilee View Post
    Why no consideration for Suzuki?
    In the 90 Suzuki is a worth taking a look at.

Between the 2 mentioned, Yamaha
    Last edited by SouthernWake; 05-03-2022 at 08:55 PM.

The bass boats seem to be hot on the Mercurys. Have had two Yamahas a two stroke 40 and a two stroke 150 both bullet proof.

Can’t go wrong either way reliability wise. Resale Yamaha wins when it’s 10 years old.
    Last edited by Whackumstackum; 05-03-2022 at 09:23 PM.

I didn’t think you could order a Yamaha right now. Buddy of mine at Freeman said they have about 80 Yamahas on back order.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderchicken View Post
    I didn’t think you could order a Yamaha right now. Buddy of mine at Freeman said they have about 80 Yamahas on back order.
    I have a line on one right now.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

60 and under I’d roll a tohatsu above anything else. My buddy is number one tohatsu dealer in the US. Like said above, resale Yamaha wins no doubt though. I just ordered the new 25 efi mudbuddy to replace an engine but that boat I had built specifically for lightweight mud motors. When I get a chance to reup my membership I’ll sell my copperhead 23.
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Yamaha F90 is around 40lbs lighter than the Tohatsu MFS90 if that matters for your boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    I have a line on one right now.
    Get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    Get it.
    This. If you have a line on a new Yamaha, buy it. I wish I would have known you were selling a 90TLR before I bought my F80. I am sure you have your reasons for going with the F90 but the simplicity of ownership, maintenance costs, and weight make that 3 cylinder, 2-stroke 90 a great package. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

You would be happy with any of the three mentioned.
    Period

If you want it soon, your choice will come down to availibility. I would choose the 90 Suzuki over the Tohatsu. And if going the Yamaha route, do 115 over the 90. Only 24 pound difference. I would also do the SHO over the standard unless it's a pontoon or barge. The holeshot and mid-throttle punch are way more impressive with the SHO with only a $255 difference in the MSRP.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.