Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Use Enough Gun

Tss

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

I worked with a guy who grew up in Colorado and did a lot of elk hunting. He said you could always tell an “Easterner” because they always showed up with the various magnums. He said the locals typically used a .270 or 30-06……Not judging anyone…..but this thread brought back that memory from 25+ years ago. Having said that, like everyone else I am always looking for a excuse to get a new gun too. ��
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

I hate a big caliber for the sake of having a big caliber. Back when I was about 120lbs I killed three deer with four shots out of a borrowed 7mag. I flinched if someone said the word seven for a while. I also adhere to sprigdog's sage advice, you cant kill something too dead. If I jump, it'll be the 300.

Now my savage .308 gunbroker purchase...there is rust in the barrel. I had plans to suppress it, and load it for subsonic, it has a 1:7 twist and I dont want to wreck a $1k suppressor. Then bolt release button wont budge...so I can't even get the bolt in. Going to pull it apart tonight and see what's up. First gun I bought off the interwebs. Doubt I'll do it again. May send it back. Paid $670 for it, and $990 for the Tikka. I'd rather buy another sako or tikka in another caliber if something is wrong with the savage.

I like guns and I compelled to buy any lefty stuff I see. Just havent seen any for a WHILE.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

BB - the Savage .308 is a 1:7 twist? Really?

The rust in the barrel would send my OCD tail end towards the UPS store with the return slip in hand...

Or you could buy an aftermarket barrel like a Bartlein, specify the twist rate and have it fitted up to your action. I bet that rig would shoot well once you found out what it liked...

23B1D181-6540-4ED3-80A2-9E4C74C6EEC0.jpg

4 180gr accubonds out of a .300 WSM and a fifth behind his ribs that finally broke the opposing shoulder..

He never fell, he didn’t even really limp, he dropped to his knees and rolled over like a horse scratching his back..

First shot was 335, last shot was about 415..

Shoot the sonofabitch until he lays down, then shoot him again..
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I hate a big caliber for the sake of having a big caliber. Back when I was about 120lbs I killed three deer with four shots out of a borrowed 7mag. I flinched if someone said the word seven for a while. I also adhere to sprigdog's sage advice, you cant kill something too dead. If I jump, it'll be the 300.

Now my savage .308 gunbroker purchase...there is rust in the barrel. I had plans to suppress it, and load it for subsonic, it has a 1:7 twist and I dont want to wreck a $1k suppressor. Then bolt release button wont budge...so I can't even get the bolt in. Going to pull it apart tonight and see what's up. First gun I bought off the interwebs. Doubt I'll do it again. May send it back. Paid $670 for it, and $990 for the Tikka. I'd rather buy another sako or tikka in another caliber if something is wrong with the savage.

I like guns and I compelled to buy any lefty stuff I see. Just havent seen any for a WHILE.
    As long as its not pitted, clean the heck out of it, then let CLR sit in it(yes i'm serious), then clean it again.

As for rifles, i'd take a 300 over a 7mm every day of the week. You have a much wider range of bullet options with the .30, not to mention, the large diameter of .30 just kills deader.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunning Bird View Post
    BB - the Savage .308 is a 1:7 twist? Really?
    Might need to verify that claim. There wasnt much in the way of information on the gun on the GB advert.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

BB Some of The Northern Cree fellas I know shoot caribou with .222s and .243s Was me I'd leave the 300wby mag at home and take the 338 rem mag instead because I like loud noises and sometimes dead just ain't dead enough. As I age I keep thinking I should get better acquainted with my 30:06 and it's mild recoil.
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.

Quote Originally Posted by HARV View Post
    BB Some of The Northern Cree fellas I know shoot caribou with .222s and .243s Was me I'd leave the 300wby mag at home and take the 338 rem mag instead because I like loud noises and sometimes dead just ain't dead enough. As I age I keep thinking I should get better acquainted with my 30:06 and it's mild recoil.
    " ...sometimes dead just ain't dead enough." Damn Harv, I've got to use this one at some point, LOL!
    \"Free your mind, your ass will follow\"

.270 Win and rock on.

The magnums will out perform non-magnums at distance. If you're not planning on shooting past 400yds, then get whatever turns yo crank. If so, then definitely magnum.

If magnum I'd lean .30cal with 200+ grain bullets for more energy at distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckin Bronco View Post
    Well damn what do you shoot a grizzly with?
    More, always more.

I'm not as steeped in the rifleman culture as many of y'all but there seems to be two diverging trends in rifle hunting. The folks that think they're military snipers and want to shoot game at 500+ yards and the folks that are trending towards slower bullets and bigger holes. I don't know what the right answer is but shooting something at 400 or more yards doesn't seem much like hunting. The 35 Whelen seems to be gaining in popularity and I'm hearing more and more about folks are loading .338-06's too. Either way, the bullet matters and there is no one bullet that can do both. Then again, all copper bullet design is getting pretty interesting.

I don't plan to but if I ever hunt big game out west, I'd need a different rifle.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    I'm not as steeped in the rifleman culture as many of y'all but there seems to be two diverging trends in rifle hunting. The folks that think they're military snipers and want to shoot game at 500+ yards and the folks that are trending towards slower bullets and bigger holes. I don't know what the right answer is but shooting something at 400 or more yards doesn't seem much like hunting. The 35 Whelen seems to be gaining in popularity and I'm hearing more and more about folks are loading .338-06's too. Either way, the bullet matters and there is no one bullet that can do both. Then again, all copper bullet design is getting pretty interesting.

I don't plan to but if I ever hunt big game out west, I'd need a different rifle.
    I believe if most of us were honest, we’d say that 90% of the deer we shoot could be taken with a 30/30. I like rifles and different calibers and choices. I like to collect guns too so I have a lot of choices. Just wish I had more time to shoot and hunt with them.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    I believe if most of us were honest, we’d say that 90% of the deer we shoot could be taken with a 30/30. I like rifles and different calibers and choices. I like to collect guns too so I have a lot of choices. Just wish I had more time to shoot and hunt with them.
    That's why I like the little 350 legend. Most of my shots are well under 100 yards and it seems to knock the snot out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by StrutnBPS View Post
    That's why I like the little 350 legend. Most of my shots are well under 100 yards and it seems to knock the snot out of them.
    Most of my hunting is with a 44 carbine. I love that little rifle.

There are a couple of intersting threads on Rokslide. Guy that live out west killing multiple elk a year with smaller calibers. Looks like bullet placement, bullet construction, and impact velocity are way more important than bore diameter or headstamp. I have a good friend that kills nice bulls every year with a 25-06 shooting Core Lokt bullets. Hes got a barn full of 6x6 racks that have fallen to that combo.

I've never really found the recoil of a 7mm Rem Mag to be much more than that of a 30-06... But I agree. Bullet placement, design, and velocity are more key.

I hunt deer over everything from close-in woods to big open cutovers. I LOVE a 2-4 year old cutover, especially during the rut or if I'm doe killin'. So, my shots vary from 20-100 yards on one end to 300+ on the other. I DO tailor what I carry to where I hunt, entirely due to the fact that I have several hunting rifles and I like to enjoy each of them. I have been using the 6.5 Creedmoor on the cutovers - 6.5 Grendel in the woods. Both work well with good placement and good bullets. I DO wish the CM had a little more velocity, so I MAY get my 7mm Mag back into circulation more on the big cutovers. About to re-glass it.

Side Note: I am building a 300 Blackout SBR (8") that will be run with a SilencerCo Saker 762 on it full-time (under the handguard) with a side folder. I WILL hunt with this, using supers (110-gr Barnes TAC-X) - in places where I will get close shots and want a super compact setup. Probably with a simple red-dot like a Sig Romeo.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

The muzzle flash and noise level from a Browning muzzle break are the only real issues I have with my 7mag. The first time I shot a deer with it I was too blind from the flash to know if I hit it and my ears rang for 3 days.

I now know that hearing protection is my friend.