Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SC Restaurants get accolades

Default SC Restaurants get accolades

Two SC restaurants are among the ‘most outstanding’ in the world, rankings show

BY SIMONE JASPER
    APRIL 27, 2022

Two Charleston-area restaurants were named among the best in the world. BRUCE SMITH AP South Carolina is home to two of the “most outstanding” restaurants in the world, a new report finds.

Grill 225 in Charleston and The Ocean Room on Kiawah Island rank among the best places to eat on a list from Forbes Travel Guide. The South Carolina restaurants were among 253 dining destinations that earned spots in the rankings published Tuesday, April 26. Forbes Travel Guide said it came up with the results after venturing across the globe.

“We verify luxury,” the travel guide said in its report. “Our highly trained inspectors visit every property we rate, evaluating based on up to 900 objective criteria. ... While we inspect both service and facility, our Star Rating system emphasizes service because your experience at a hotel, restaurant or spa goes beyond looks — how it makes you feel is what you will remember most.”

In Charleston, restaurant Grill 225 was considered “recommended” — defined as “excellent properties with consistently good service and facilities.” It received recognition for serving steak and other dishes in a setting that boasts “casual elegance.”

“There aren’t the hushed tones typical in fine-dining restaurants,” Forbes Travel Guide said. “Instead, you’ll hear boisterous laughing and conversation throughout the dining room, and maybe some chatter from little ones, since it’s also a kid-friendly restaurant.”

Roughly 25 miles south of Charleston, The Ocean Room on Kiawah Island earned a 4-star rating — the marker of places with “high levels of service and quality of facility to match,” results show. It was praised for offering customers an intimate experience from a dining room that overlooks a golf resort.

“With its close proximity to the Atlantic Ocean, the restaurant also features high-quality seafood in addition to its aged prime beef,” the travel guide said in its report. The Charleston area isn’t a stranger to earning wide recognition.

This year, two eateries near the vacation spot were named among the nation’s top places to have a meal. Months earlier, a Charleston soul food restaurant was named among those that The New York Times was “excited about,” McClatchy News reported in October.

Read more at: https://www.thestate.com/news/state/...#storylink=cpy

Man, the traffic from Ohio just doubled.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

I give the Ocean Room a B+ and it’s expensive as all get out. I’ve had much better meals.
    Carolina Counsel

Grill 225 is not that good either. I'd rather eat at Halls.

Quote Originally Posted by jws View Post
    Grill 225 is not that good either. I'd rather eat at Halls.
    And Halls is overrated too....
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    And Halls is overrated too....
    I'm in the same boat. I like Hall's, it's not bad food, it has a good atmosphere, but it wasn't worth the $1000+ tab we had for 4 people.

I did have a lunch meeting one time at the one in Columbia, I was surprised how cheap it was at lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    I'm in the same boat. I like Hall's, it's not bad food, it has a good atmosphere, but it wasn't worth the $1000+ tab we had for 4 people.

I did have a lunch meeting one time at the one in Columbia, I was surprised how cheap it was at lunch.
    When you go to Halls, you're paying to go to Halls. It's not high class it's just expensive. Good? Yes. Over hyped? Absolutely.
    Last edited by willk; 04-28-2022 at 03:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post

Best burger in the Carolina’s comes from Halls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    now Hogan can fuck off on here all day and call it work, thanks!

One wonders how difficult it is to buy one's way on to some of these Restaurant "Lists"?

Oak>Hall’s

Quote Originally Posted by carolinadrifter View Post
    Oak>Hall’s
    Meh... I wouldn't say that either. I guess its personal preference. Most of the high dollar places have all seemed to go downhill in the past few years though. There isn't a steak I've eaten out lately that I don't think I couldn't have had any better on my grill at home.

y'all make me look happy
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Are you girls going in there and ordering bullshit like mrtroy4?

I go to Hall’s or 225 and I get a glass of single malt or two, a bottle of Zinfandel or two, and the biggest ribeye on the menu. Explain to me how that isn’t awesome.

Do they have a chicken finger basket?

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post

I go to Hall’s or 225 and I get a glass of single malt or two, a bottle of Zinfandel or two, and the biggest ribeye on the menu. Explain to me how that isn’t awesome.
    Because people.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by jws View Post
    Meh... I wouldn't say that either. I guess its personal preference. Most of the high dollar places have all seemed to go downhill in the past few years though. There isn't a steak I've eaten out lately that I don't think I couldn't have had any better on my grill at home.
    I’m with you on the cooking at home deal. If I want a ribeye, I make it myself. When I go out it’s because I want a night off from home or we’re on a trip, so I’m looking for good service and food that I don’t get at home. If I’m paying for you to cook, everything about it should be close to perfect. It’s rare I find that though, so my list of places i like is short.

Last time I went into Grill225 was about 10 or 15 years ago, and no Fish, I didn't get the burger. I actually got a steak and it was pretty good. Had a nice bottle of Mara to go with it. I know why they call it Grill225, cost me $225 for the 2 of us and $50 for the tip. For a overpriced burger here in Charleston, ill hit up Rue de Jean and get the brisket burger.
    every expert was once a beginner

You’ve got to remember a lot if these rednecks put ketchup in their grits and worry far to much about the price and too little about the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Do they have a chicken finger basket?
    With Kraft honey mustard salad dressing.

Maybe