Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Murrells Inlet Googan?

Probably “from” Mt. pleasant
    More Ducks, Less People

Salt Life bro
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Gaffer life

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

I've almost done that, twice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

That's going to be a major deduction on his "cool points" status.
    One tends to learn more when using ones eyes and ears....instead of running their mouth!

Without the internet we’d have never known.

If your feet ain't never slipped-out from underneath you in that situation, you haven't done it enough times.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

*You can say that again.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Corrected. And I ain't crazy about your tone, T.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Yep He was Ace's up mate if I remember correctly

"almost" happened to me in the G'town tourney in the 90's. If my buddy hadn't grabbed me as I went over, it would have been me.

The gaff was donated to Neptune, stuck in the shoulder of a 90-100# Yellowfin. That was a $9-$12,000 slip.

It was the same year or the year after the line man died at Big Rock.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Shouldn't ever stick a gaff in a fish that you don't have control of it's head.

Quote Originally Posted by Beachbird View Post
    Shouldn't ever stick a gaff in a fish that you don't have control of it's head.
    It aint always pretty.
    The wahoo that helped us win the series, as soon as we had leader he rushed the motors and we were at 10+ kts, I dove over the motors and catch a glimpse of fin straight down between them in a complete wash, swung straight down, felt fish and yanked. I caught him dead center and that 100lb SOB turned sideways running 10kts. I thought i was about to break the cowling or rip my shoulders out of socket.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

You have to be calm when’s it’s time to go to work. Smooth and patient with the gaff.

Headphone systems are pure zen.

Damn Luiza did better than that and looked a lot better doing it.
    Last edited by centurian; 04-28-2022 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by centurian View Post
    Damn Luisa did better than that and looked a lot better doing it.
    X2
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Many many years ago, when I lived in Hatteras
    a mate up there was lost and never seen again
    after getting to the leader. he wrapped it around his wrist every chance he got, to take some of it up
    big fish dove and took him with it.
    Every time I see the Perfect Storm (guy gets a long line hook in his hand) I think about what must have went thru the mates mind when being towed down
    Wear a knife, and I am not so sure you cut cut a leader while being dragged down

A young deckhand couldn’t let go of the wire on a relatively small marlin during a tournament that sucks and happens every June in Moorhead. Might be the same guy.

The guy that I mentioned in my post may be the same guy ECU is talking about. The story that was told to us during our pre-Tourney Safety brief was:

Boat hooked a good size marlin and fought it to the boat. The mate grabbed the wire leader and wrapped the wire around his wrists. As he was wiring the fish, he slipped and fell overboard. The fish was exhausted and lying on its side beside the boat. Everyone in the boat was laughing at the mate for falling in. He could not get the leader from around his hands. The fish came to and sounded taking the mate with him.

ALWAYS carry a knife on your person.

In my case, everyone on the boat was out of position. The captain was in the cockpit (always bad idea) The normal gaff man was driving the boat, I (normal wire man) was making lunch and the other mate was asleep in the fighting chair. There were only 4 of us on the boat. When the fish hit, all hell broke loose and the captain wouldn't go back up top. We fought the fish for 45 minutes or so and brought it up along side. I was taught to gaff a tuna from the underside because if you turn them upside down, they are paralyzed. I gaffed many of them that way. Captain told me to get the gaff and he would wire.

As said, the fish came up on the port side, belly to the boat, beautiful. I had a perfect shot to get him in the boat. I went to strike and the captain yelled, "Don't you hit that fish in the stomach, you hit him in the back." I pulled the gaff and put it over to strike again. By this time, the fish had drifted about 2-3 feet away from the boat still laying on its left side, belly to the boat, so I had to reach further to hit him in the back.

When I hit, the fish sounded, broke the leader and took me and the gaff with him. My belly hit the gunwale and I was headed over. The captain fell in the boat with the broken leader and my buddy jumped out of the fighting chair and grabbed me as I went out.

For the next 4-5 hours the captain and his old fishing buddy argued. His old fishing buddy was Will Fennell's dad Wallace. He is who taught me to gaff a tuna from the underside.

I did love fishing with those old codgers. Learned a whole lot. Wallace taught us, "If you learn to run a cockpit you can fish on any boat in the world. Most boat owners are in a pecker measuring contest, not a fishing contest." He was right.
    Last edited by Jozie & Me; 04-29-2022 at 09:57 AM.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud