Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Murrells Inlet Googan?

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    A young deckhand couldn’t let go of the wire on a relatively small marlin during a tournament that sucks and happens every June in Moorhead. Might be the same guy.
    150# but it will be a grander by 2032...

Are we talking about Chris Bowie of the Trophy Box?

I’ve been noticing lately a bunch of googans (like that idiot in the video) with dorky ass poof hair and big flat bill hat. Is this a new heybo style?

Quote Originally Posted by Jozie & Me View Post
    The guy that I mentioned in my post may be the same guy ECU is talking about. The story that was told to us during our pre-Tourney Safety brief was:

Boat hooked a good size marlin and fought it to the boat. The mate grabbed the wire leader and wrapped the wire around his wrists. As he was wiring the fish, he slipped and fell overboard. The fish was exhausted and lying on its side beside the boat. Everyone in the boat was laughing at the mate for falling in. He could not get the leader from around his hands. The fish came to and sounded taking the mate with him.

ALWAYS carry a knife on your person.

In my case, everyone on the boat was out of position. The captain was in the cockpit (always bad idea) The normal gaff man was driving the boat, I (normal wire man) was making lunch and the other mate was asleep in the fighting chair. There were only 4 of us on the boat. When the fish hit, all hell broke loose and the captain wouldn't go back up top. We fought the fish for 45 minutes or so and brought it up along side. I was taught to gaff a tuna from the underside because if you turn them upside down, they are paralyzed. I gaffed many of them that way. Captain told me to get the gaff and he would wire.

As said, the fish came up on the port side, belly to the boat, beautiful. I had a perfect shot to get him in the boat. I went to strike and the captain yelled, "Don't you hit that fish in the stomach, you hit him in the back." I pulled the gaff and put it over to strike again. By this time, the fish had drifted about 2-3 feet away from the boat still laying on its left side, belly to the boat, so I had to reach further to hit him in the back.

When I hit, the fish sounded, broke the leader and took me and the gaff with him. My belly hit the gunwale and I was headed over. The captain fell in the boat with the broken leader and my buddy jumped out of the fighting chair and grabbed me as I went out.

For the next 4-5 hours the captain and his old fishing buddy argued. His old fishing buddy was Will Fennell's dad Wallace. He is who taught me to gaff a tuna from the underside.

I did love fishing with those old codgers. Learned a whole lot. Wallace taught us, "If you learn to run a cockpit you can fish on any boat in the world. Most boat owners are in a pecker measuring contest, not a fishing contest." He was right.
    Orrrr don’t be an idiot and take so many wraps…two wraps around the hand is much easier to let go of than multiple around the wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Some comical shit gets thrown around in here. “Wraps around the wrist”. I’m not even sure how you can physically do that. Whatever. Gaffing from the “underside”? That’s a new one. You always let the gaff drop in the fishes back. Again, watch the fish and make one smooth motion. It’s not that hard. Don’t over think it.

And this business about making a huge production of getting a hundred pound tuna in the boat...what is that? Deckhands fishing out of Oregon Inlet wire and gaff big tuna multiple times a day (by themselves) when they get into the bigeyes. I wired, gaffed, and pulled a 250lb bluefin in the door by myself. It’s not a big deal.

I got finned in the thumb one time by a channel cat.

Hurt pretty good for a few minutes.

That’s fantastic. But do you have a comment about these poof headed kids or not?

There’s a gaggle of em that come to church dressed alike and their parents allow them to wear their flat bills in the sanctuary.

Look like the practice squad from Duck Commander, the Travel Ball Division.

I’m just glad they’re in church but I’d knot my kids head and then shave it for being a disrespectful cliche of a human.

How’s that?

The travel ball comment was good.

Thanks man.

When I lived in Venice 100lb tuna got slung in the boat like 10lb dolphin do here. I think it’s a regional thing! And agreed, if someone is taking wraps around the wrist then they need to stay on the hill.

Fishing in Costa Rica one year I was on the gunnel fighting a sail, we were backing down pretty hard and the fish turned on us, captain Jose bumped it into forward and I lost my footing and almost went over the back. If it wasn’t for the mate catching me by the belt I woulda went over the back.

Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Had a friend free-gaff a cobia alongside next to the one we had on the line.
    It sure woke up & pulled a 270#+ guy tight to the gunwale & bent a $100 Aftco gaff beyond repair.
    Once in the cockpit it cracked a bait cooler & sent 2 pails overboard.
    It tasted real good despite it's attitude.

I watched a fella throw a gaff as far as he could off the deck. It was “bent”…

I wanna hear sportins offshore fishin story.

Quote Originally Posted by DG34YF View Post
    Had a friend free-gaff a cobia alongside next to the one we had on the line.
    It sure woke up & pulled a 270#+ guy tight to the gunwale & bent a $100 Aftco gaff beyond repair.
    Once in the cockpit it cracked a bait cooler & sent 2 pails overboard.
    It tasted real good despite it's attitude.
    the last couple of years, I have been slap ate up with Cobia fishing.
    They will wreck your shit if you don't have a plan and communicate it to everyone
    onboard before bringing him over the gunnel. One of my favorite fish to eat
    Last edited by ecu1984; 01-02-2023 at 01:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNSON View Post
    I watched a fella throw a gaff as far as he could off the deck. It was “bent”…

I remember that "bent" gaff. Even have a video of it
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    That’s fantastic. But do you have a comment about these poof headed kids or not?
    says the guy with a food thread picking up a jeep
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I’m so glad you finally showed up.