Thread: More laws to stop lawbreaking

Default More laws to stop lawbreaking

Gun control. Always a politician's solution to people shooting other people. Who defines what an "illegal gun" is? Who will be defining it tomorrow?

Gov. McMaster backs tougher SC laws on illegal gun possession after 2 mass shootings BY
    CAITLIN BYRD
    APRIL 26, 2022

Gov. Henry McMaster has urged state lawmakers to send him a bill that would impose tougher penalties on people who illegally carry guns.
    “I stand with Sen. Harpootlian and members of the Senate who are proposing no bond and mandatory minimum sentences in circuit court for illegal gun possession.” The statement is a rare moment of bipartisan agreement on an issue where Democrats and Republicans are often at odds

It’s (an) epidemic,” Harpootlian told reporters Tuesday. “This isn’t the solution. So that everybody understands, right now we need to do something about the revolving door on kids with guns.”
    U.S. Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., called the bystander video of the shooting “unbelievable in so many ways, but clearly real and very troubling.” “This is something you would expect in Afghanistan, not North Charleston,” Graham wrote on Twitter.
    Read more at: https://www.thestate.com/news/politi...#storylink=cpy

He hasn’t spent much time in North Charleston then.

I guess the esteemed senator from South Carolina hasn’t spent a lot of time in N. Chas.

Jay beat me to it. Just politicians doing their thing.
    Last edited by wskinner; 04-26-2022 at 09:07 PM.

Tougher laws dont mean a thing if they're not enforced. Being charged then pleaded down doesn't do anything either.
    It's all smoke and mirrors

I'm seeing phrases like "illegally carry" and "illegally possess." What does that mean? Will that extend to the poor dude who doesn't have a CWP but straps a pistol to his waist while hunting, forgets to take it off, then stops at the convenience store on the way home and Barney Fife sees the pistol? Am I possessing my pistol illegally when I don't have it in a lockable compartment in my truck? This law seems like a terrible idea.

Quote Originally Posted by scatter shot View Post
    Tougher laws dont mean a thing if they're not enforced.
    ...OR, if the people targeted don't care about the law in the first place.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Quote Originally Posted by LC17 View Post
    I'm seeing phrases like "illegally carry" and "illegally possess." What does that mean? Will that extend to the poor dude who doesn't have a CWP but straps a pistol to his waist while hunting, forgets to take it off, then stops at the convenience store on the way home and Barney Fife sees the pistol? Am I possessing my pistol illegally when I don't have it in a lockable compartment in my truck? This law seems like a terrible idea.
    The mandatory minimum is gonna get that poor dude 5 years instead of the slap on the wrist the judge would have given him.

Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    The mandatory minimum is gonna get that poor dude 5 years instead of the slap on the wrist the judge would have given him.
    be careful what you wish for....

In your scenario, HE BROKE THE LAW.

Stupidity and ignorance shouldn't save him.

So, y'all want more laws?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I'm liking what LC17 typed, it's the same things I'm thinking. The entire premise of the cwp bothers me.

But people are scared of freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    be careful what you wish for....

In your scenario, HE BROKE THE LAW.

Stupidity and ignorance shouldn't save him.

So, y'all want more laws?
    Sure he did, but should the stakes be raised with mandatory minimum prison time for folks who obviously aren't part of the problem?

Maybe theses criminal defense/lawmakers need to look in the mirror and consider who is helping put violent criminals and gang members back on the street every time they commit a crime. They have made plenty of laws already, that’s how they get their clients off so easily.

No bond will give any violator about 1-2 years in jail before their trial.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Harpootlian talking out one side of his mouth while the other claims innocence on a POS who’s neck deep in murder scandals. Sort of ironic isn’t it.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Good ol mandatory minimums. Reminds me of the glory days of the 80's where crack would get you automatic jail time and "white" cocaine would get you a wink and a slap on the wrist.

Sure he did, but should the stakes be raised with mandatory minimum prison time for folks who obviously aren't part of the problem?
    hell no
    but you dont make laws just for people that are part of the problem. They pertain to everyone.

thats my point.

I must really really suck at making my point, sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Good ol mandatory minimums. Reminds me of the glory days of the 80's where crack would get you automatic jail time and "white" cocaine would get you a wink and a slap on the wrist.
    I was thinking the same thing. Biden and McMaster don't seem all that different, all the sudden...
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    hell no
    but you dont make laws just for people that are part of the problem. They pertain to everyone.

thats my point.

I must really really suck at making my point, sometimes.
    Right, but because laws pertain to everyone, that in itself should counsel what laws are passed and what the penalties are.

quit picking on me.
    we agree.

but, in your scenario, if Mr Law-abiding Citizen illegally carries, he gets a 5yr minimum.

maybe we screwed up with "legal" carry? Didnt slow any of y'all down when it was time to pass THAT law, right?

bring up the old thread with people belittling other people if they didnt contact their stupid rep to pass another stupid law. its maddening when we dont study history. Its, as if, we are bound to repeat it.

and i dont even own a pistol

It is already against the law for minors and felons to possess any type of firearm. They don't need a new law just enforce what they already have. This has always been a rift between liberals and law abiding gun owners. Liberals want them to pea to lesser and released without bail and gun owners want them sent back to prison where they belong. New laws will have unintended consequences as those who do not like us will implant traps in the bill for honest gun owners.