Thread: Outhouse build

Default Outhouse build

Helping a neighbor build an outhouse on his property. It will have a 55 gallon drum for septic, water and no power.

Anything you would do or wouldn’t do if you have built one ?

Thanks,
    Sean

If he did build it. I would shit in it.

Put it in the shade if possible. Have an outhouse at my buddies hunting camp in FL, no fun dropping a deuce with sweat running off your nose.
    Similar setup. Flush toilet with 55 gallon drum as the septic tank. We do have power and water from a shallow well.

I have some friends that have a out house at their camp at love valley. That thing has always has a strange odor.

Did this exactly for a tiny hunting cabin and two years in works great. I used two 50 gallon pickle drums (plastic) bought off craigslist. Used the screw on lid for the verticals portion. You need a 1 1/2 or 2 “ vent pipe going vertical above the outhouse starting between the toilet and the septic tank (1st drum). Took 3 of our 4 daughters to help me dig it, and the Ivy League college kid is “woke” enough to admit it was the most useful day of work she’s ever done

attatch a tap On/tap Off wall mounted battery light on the inside of the door. Ensure that the door handle and paper roll will be illuminated even if battery goes weak.

- build a “porch”. In bad weather it’ll get very muddy at the door, noone wants to walk out with mud stained trou.
    - don’t let TP supply get low.

“Muh butts been wiped.” TheBigGuy
    “Poor kids are just as bright and talented as white kids.” PedoPete, Esq.
    “Let’s go Brandon, I agree!” former Vice President Joe Biden
    “Shower time, Ashley.” NotAndyTaylor

I would build it on a raised platform over the marsh so it flushes every 12 hours…..
    cut\'em

Here in the upstate your not going to dig that by hand anytime soon. I chose the plastic portajon, cut the bottom out, placed over hole. Works fine for occasional use.
    Low country redneck who moved north

Thanks for input !

You mentioned that you have a water source? Elevate the water source a little bit to create water pressure. A solar panel, 12 volt battery, 12 volt on demand RV water pump and full size regular toilet. !2 volt lighting for inside. The hard work is digging and setting the "septic system".
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

I relocated this one I built years ago to our cook shed/fire pit. I ran it to existing septic that was on the lot. It has power and running water. A simple septic as discussed above would work fine. I'm going to add a fan for warmer months. Don't run out of TP and keep it clean for the wimmens.
    IMG_20220429_074636039.jpg

IMG_20220429_074546294.jpg

You put a heater in it in the winter or just drain the pipes?
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

You need to cut a moon in the door.

Y’all know you can just dig a hole and throw some lime in it every now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    You put a heater in it in the winter or just drain the pipes?
    I shut off the water, drain the pipes and add a splash of antifreeze in the crapper when not in use when expecting freezing temps