Thread: Desktop Computer

Default Desktop Computer

So the wife is looking at taking a job doing online teaching. I need to get her set up with a new computer with all the bells and whistles. That being said, I have no idea about a good desktop setup. Processor, hard drive, memory, etc. All I have ever used was a laptop for email, and web surfing, which I mostly do on my phone now. She will be doing online teaching, zoom meetings, emailing, a webcam, doing education programs, and whatever else. Any ideas what the latest and greatest is out there?

A laptop will get the job done and is portable so she can teach from anywhere. My bride used her school issued laptop during Covid and it worked like a champ.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

You could get a good laptop and set it up with a large separate monitor and keyboard, etc.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    You could get a good laptop and set it up with a large separate monitor and keyboard, etc.
    Multiple screens or bust if you’re doing real work

A bottom rung computer can do everything you mentioned. My suggestion is make sure that its got a solid state hard drive ("SSD") at least 500GB. Almost every computer now days can run multiple monitors.

Laptop's have built-in webcams but I think that's a bad thing since hackers can actually get to the camera without you knowing it. If you get a USB webcam you can unplug it and know for sure that hackers aren't watching. Most desktops will have at least one HDMI and one (blue) VGA port so you can run two monitors. Some, though, will only have one Display Port. You can daisy chain Display Port monitor so you can easily run more than one monitor.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Default Desktop Computer

Quote Originally Posted by BuckyTownsend View Post
    Multiple screens or bust if you’re doing real work
    This. I have been working from home for almost four years now. I have dual 30”” monitors and never open my laptop. It’s stays on the docking station, and I roll with the monitors. If my dock could handle three monitors I’d have them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by billbuster84; 04-26-2022 at 08:07 PM.
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

I’ve worked from home for 12 years now. Over half that I’ve been running a Mac mini with dual 18” screens.

Currently running two Mac mini’s (separate computers for different businesses), one has dual monitors (I use this one the most) and one with a single monitor. Dual monitors make a world of difference.

No issues at all with Mac mini and I have my phone synced to it so I can text, call, FaceTime, whatever from one device when I’m working.

Also have a Mac laptop so everything is there when I travel. It’s somewhat seamless.

Ok talking Macs. With my laptop I can only run 2 additional screens, so 3 total. I want 2 more large ones. Can I do 4 screens with a Mac mini?
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Steelin' Ducks is the KRT of suppressors and such.

Get a dell laptop with docking station. Large 24" monitor (or two) and wireless logitech keyboard/mouse. I7 processor with 500gb SSD hard drive. She can take it with her and work from anywhere.

Laptop with a docking station and a monitor or two is all you need.

No need to go mac for this. All you need is what rubberhead said. SSD (Solid state drive), and 500gb memory, but for a little more money you could get 1tb memory. I'd would add 8gb ram at a minimum, but preferably 16gb and up.

I use a laptop, my monitor is a 55” TV.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    A bottom rung computer can do everything you mentioned. My suggestion is make sure that its got a solid state hard drive ("SSD") at least 500GB. Almost every computer now days can run multiple monitors.

Laptop's have built-in webcams but I think that's a bad thing since hackers can actually get to the camera without you knowing it. If you get a USB webcam you can unplug it and know for sure that hackers aren't watching. Most desktops will have at least one HDMI and one (blue) VGA port so you can run two monitors. Some, though, will only have one Display Port. You can daisy chain Display Port monitor so you can easily run more than one monitor.
    A sticky note or small piece of paper taped over the camera takes care of the “hackers watching you” issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Quote Originally Posted by CUduckreeper View Post
    A sticky note or small piece of paper taped over the camera takes care of the “hackers watching you” issue.
    I do that on my laptops, actually bought some of those slide things but the new laptops have such a narrow bezel that none of the slide things fit.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

I have caught a lot of trout inside of those 2 pics, but Mining Life is a new one. Nice setup!

I have caught a lot of trout inside of those 2 pics, but Mining Life is a new one. Nice setup!

Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    No need to go mac for this. All you need is what rubberhead said. SSD (Solid state drive), and 500gb memory, but for a little more money you could get 1tb memory. I'd would add 8gb ram at a minimum, but preferably 16gb and up.
    If he planning on running Win 10 better go with 16gb. It's a RAM hog.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

A laptop with a docking station, with two monitors is the way to go. I mainly work from home but when I go into the office I connect one cord to the laptop and plug two Ethernet cables into the phone and I’m up and running in about one minute.
    When my wife originally started virtual teaching (10 years ago) I set up the office with a L shaped work station so she could do administration at one station and have the camera for “interaction” at the other. That way the camera only had a view of neutral things and did not have a view of the doorway into the rest of the house.
    She hated working from home, I prefer it.