Thread: Home alarm/camera system

Default Home alarm/camera system

So i am wanting to add alarm/cameras to my mothers house and figured we are too far in technology that someone makes something like ads/adt/ whatever that you can install yourself and pay a monitoring fee or something for fire. In my opinion 125/month + whatever fees and a 5 yr contract is crazy. Anyone have any luck with finding something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We use Simply Safe. You can do everything you listed.

Simply Safe is Free if you monitor yourself. We pay the $25/month to have it monitored by them for automatic fire and police dispatch (if they can't get a hold of us). Worth it. The system is, well, simple.

They have a water/flood sensor with their alarm package, most put under the sink. I stuck one in the water heater pan. Our alarm went off middle of the night several months ago because it detected water in the pan. I.E. time for a new water heater. Would have never known as our water heater is tucked away in a closet that is never used. Fortunately we've never had the need for the alarm system for break-ins, fire or anything but it's nice to have for sure.

I think Ring and Nest have stepped into this market also and would be worth looking into.

I have a good friend here in town that does security cameras commercial and residential. No monthly charges. You pay for the equipment and install and that’s it. It’s not cheap but he has quality equipment and it’s worth it if you want peace of mind. If you want his info shoot me a PM

As with most Im sure, with Simply Safe you can pull a live feed of the cameras up on your phone. A few month ago I was waiting on an inspector to show up. I pointed a camera at the back gate and when He came through it sent me a motion alarm, I pulled up the camera on my phone and watched him walk around the project.

I'd recommend this. https://www.lorex.com/collections/ip...40957162160278

It's wired so you'll have to install but it's set and forget. Run cameras at max resolution, 10 frames per second. I've installed lorex systems at my house, work, my moms, dads, and aunts. No issues.

+1 for lorex but it's just a camera system, not alarm/monitoring/etc .

I'm installing a pretty complete Simply Safe system, including fire, burlar, water, window breakage, cameras, CO2 alarms, etc, as appropriate for various areas. Just look for one of their 35%-40% off sales when you buy the bulk of the system.

You can monitor yourself, or for $10 you can monitor it yourself but they record the video for upwards or 30 days or so, depending on the activity, or you can go with their $15 or $25(?) per month plans, depending on how much support you want.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

You can also cancel Simply Safe when ever you want, its month to month, not a contract. You own the equipment. You can also pick up additional cameras ext. at Lowes and Home Depot and add them to you system as you see fit.