Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st Archery Turkey

Default 1st Archery Turkey

Over the past 2 years, I've had the opportunity to hunt a 3000 acre tract of land that is loaded with birds. Not an open invite but a couple hunts each season. Last year I hunted solo with the bow and got busted while drawing back on a bird at 20 yards. After that failed attempt, I grabbed the gun and killed a bird within the hour. This place is literally loaded with birds like I have never seen before.

This year I was on a mission to stick one with an arrow. Me and a buddy setup a ground blind at the edge of a field before daylight. The birds weren't very vocal at all that morning but at about 7:10 a group of 4 gobblers roosting on top of one another started fighting on the limb. They were about 150 yards in the woods behind us and proceeded to gobble a couple times in unison after this. My buddy gave them a couple soft yelps on the call and they all fired back. We shut up and let the show take place.

Within 5 minutes, a hen dropped down in the edge of the field and worked up inside of the decoys. Not but a few minutes after that, we notice 2 long beards bobbing down a firebreak headed our direction. They came out into the field and got a little wary at 35 yards. I wasn't comfortable shooting past 30 so I told my buddy to shoot one if he thought they weren't going to come play. He raised his gun and took the safety off when I noticed they started working towards us. I called his shot off and they closed the gap 10 yards. He ranged them at 25 yards for me and I watched the lead bird get a little sketched out. I drew back and eased to a shooting window. The lead bird turned his back to me and I let an arrow fly into his back. The broadhead took out both lungs and completely cut the heart into 2 pieces.

Take Away #1 - Ground blinds are wild and provide almost an unfair advantage
    Take Away #2 - Turkeys cannot tote double lung/heart shots very well
    Take Away #3 - I am truly blessed to have the opportunity to hunt at this place. I have not heard a gobble/seen a bird in 3 hunts elsewhere since then

turkey1.jpg
    Turkey2.jpg
    Turkey3.jpg

Guess you need to change your screen name.

Congrats on the bird
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

That’s awesome! Congrats!
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Congrats. Def hard to do

Awesome!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Well the ground blind alone was enough to make it not count, but the decoy spread completely negates the hunt. Hope you are happy with the turkey execution, it sure wasn't a hunt.....
    Talk to duckman1 if you want to really hunt a turkey with a bow.

Congrats on your bird. It's no easy task with a bow.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Congrats

Congrats

Congrats! Bet his spurs matched his beard!

Ground blinds provid almost an unfair advantage? Maybe with a gun, but I’ll tip my hat to anyone that can make themselves sit in a tent still hunting turkeys. I used to buy a fall turkey tag every year I deer hunted in Ohio. I hunt out of a climber, and I don’t choose spots where I don’t have decent cover around me at hunting height. I saw and had turkeys coming to me every year and was always up and ready to draw long before they got in range. Out of 8 or 9 seasons there, I got off exactly one shot, and it did not end with a dead turkey. Saw Shane Simpson kill one with a recurve, but it was a Merriams, and an eastern is a whole-notger-beast. I’d say ground blinds are a must to have any reasonable chance at sticking an eastern with an arrow. Congrats on that successful kill!
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Congratulations!

Good job
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Really nice

Quote Originally Posted by BRR View Post
    Well the ground blind alone was enough to make it not count, but the decoy spread completely negates the hunt. Hope you are happy with the turkey execution, it sure wasn't a hunt.....
    Some people just can’t help it, smdh. Congrats on the kill it is an accomplishment for sure.
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 04-20-2022 at 06:05 AM.

Douche move. Make you feel better about yourself?

ha
    duckman uses a blind, too.

Good job, though. Its fun to try with the bow. You got it done!
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Good for you!

Congrats!

howard.jpg