Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 1st Deer Rifle Recommendations

Nice!!!!!
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

You don't need a magnum anything to kill a white tail deer. It can help on really long shots with the flatter trajectory. Most of my shots have been 250 yards or less so it is mute to me. 30-30's have killed an ass of deer in this country but, not the best choice if looking for the ability to shoot beyond 150 yards due to bullet drop at the slow velocity. It can be done, just have to take into account the bullet drop. Any caliber with a velocity of 2600 to 2900fps will take SC deer fine out to 200-250 without worrying much about bullet drop. Look up "maximum point blank range" PBR. I am going to assume you understand shooting at distance. The arc of the bullet is higher near to you and then starts to drop as gravity pulls on the projectile. Like throwing a base ball, you throw it at an upward angle to make it land where you want it to. Maximum PBR is explained as never more than three inches above the point of aim, scope cross hair, to three inches below. I have my 25-06 sighted in at aprox 235 yards. It is about 2.7 inches high at 150 and 3 inches low at aprox 275. Given that a deer's heart is aprox 6 inches in diameter, any deer that comes out within 275 yards, I can put the cross hairs on the heart and squeeze the trigger. No worrying about bullet drop or hold over, just point and shoot.

308win, 7-08rem, 6.5(pick one), 30-06 or 06 derivative, 270win, 280rem will all get the job done. Ammo availability should be a consideration, you still have internet ordering but, there are still shortages. I have multiple choices if I am short of ammo for one. You won't have that option.

Shop and shoulder/handle as may as you can. Find what feels good to you. Every manufacture makes their stocks a little different. Every action feels different. Buy what feels good and fits you.

I don't care for 22 calibers like 223 for deer. Not that they can't kill a deer, just less room for error in shot placement. They more for youth or experienced riflemen to me. Less damage to surrounding tissues. I bow my head to all the people that have never had a shot not go Exactly where they wanted it to go. Deer move, wind rocking the tree stand, unable to get in perfectly comfortable shooting position, etc.. 243/6mm is my minimum but, that is just me. That is my preference and ethics only. Your mileage may vary.

Not to long ago, a cheap rifle generally had what I would consider poor accuracy. Not necessarily the case these days. Many, of what are termed budget rifles today, can shoot very well. I still like a better "quality" rifle myself.

I have 300savage, 35rem, 243win, 25-06rem, 270win(never shot), and a 35whelen AI(that I just got). I like them all. Yes, I like odd ball cartridges.

I strongly prefer reasonably accurate rifles that I can handle and shoot multiple boxes of ammo at a time without causing a flinch. I know someone, that I will not take hunting again because he can’t shoot his rifle. A Ruger American in 270win with synthetic stock. Because of the light plastic stock he flinches and blames the riffle. He shoots an eight to nine inch group (pattern) at 100yards. I shot it fine, 1.5 inch group with his ammo, and told him to buy a 22lr and practice. He has not. If you have the ability to shoot some friend’s rifles, do so, that can help you decide. Be honest with yourself about your recoil tolerance. A lot of the current synthetic stocked hunting rifles being sold are very light compared to our father’s rifles. Easier to carry, but kick more. Like putting a giant outboard on a little boat. Stand hunting in SC is not like carrying a rifle through the mountains out west.

Glass, aka the scope…

An expensive or inexpensive but accurate rifle with sub par glass, is sub par period. Great glass does not make a crappy rifle good but, crappy glass can make a good rifle crappy. Pay for the better glass. It is what allows you to shoot and place bullets on your point of aim. I am not saying you need 2k dollar plus scope. Light transmission and clarity make all the difference in the last 30 min of legal shooting light in SC. It is like buying a corvette and putting regular passenger car tires on it and then complaining about the handling. Would you buy a Freeman boat and then cheap budget shop electronics and motors?

Cartridges aka bullets, shells, rounds, etc…

Just as your taste “likes” verses what someone else taste “likes”, rifles vary. Two rifles that came off the assembly line right after one another might like very different ammo. Just because your buddy’s rifle will shoot cheap Remington core lokts into a half-inch group at a hundred yards does not mean yours will. Unless you reload, you should try as many different brands/types/weights of cartridges as possible to find what your rifle like the best. If you can find friends that have the same chambering buy/borrow 6 to 9 rounds and see if your rifle “likes” them.

Now is the time for you to be shopping. For many reasons. Time to find what you like. Time to get a scope and have it mounted. Time to find different ammo to try (f-ing ammo shortage). Time to practice. And personally, I dislike target practice with sweat dripping in my eyes, summer is coming quick.

sorry for the long post but, you asked...
    Last edited by mello_collins; 04-22-2022 at 09:23 AM.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

What Mello meant to write -

Tikka T3 or T3x in .308 ( adjust the trigger weight with one screw)
    Leupold of whatever model fits your budget
    150 or 165 grain Accbonds.
    Range time. Check.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

My T3 .308. Good rifle

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

New LH CTR in .223 . So far, I like it. Needs a scope with higher magnification. That is being handled.

F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

That picture from the stand is awesome.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post

New LH CTR in .223 . So far, I like it. Needs a scope with higher magnification. That is being handled.

Sexy.

Those Tikkas a slick with no slop on the bolt at all. Just feels good to handle. Hate I couldnt find a lefty in .308, but I'll slum a little with the Savage I reckon.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

BB, I will keep an eye peeled for one, now that I know you are in need. You will love it. A Savage is acceptable.

The Tikka is a great out the box deer killer. Decent stock, easy to adjust the go button. Pretty damned accurate with some minor tweaking.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    BB, I will keep an eye peeled for one, now that I know you are in need. You will love it. A Savage is acceptable.

The Tikka is a great out the box deer killer. Decent stock, easy to adjust the go button. Pretty damned accurate with some minor tweaking.
    I've got the .308 itch scratched. Have plans on tweaking it after receipt. Once tweaked, I dont plan on getting rid of it. Next caliber is 25-06 or maybe something heavier for something really big on another continent.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

6DC3656F-20CE-4AE4-BD6D-AFC30B6D0E24.jpg

25-06 is a killer, and with the right bullet will kill a lot bigger than deer. Steve at Apache machine built that one with parts I sent him.
    Older 700 “C” prefix action, Bartlein #3 , Triggertech trigger and an HS ADL stock. It shot so well with Hornady precision Hunter ammo I almost didn’t bother working up a load for it. Glad I did. A Berger 115 VLD over H1000 is stupid accurate. It’s a little heavier than I wanted, should have gone with a lighter barrel, but it’s a hammer.

I have lots of rifles in lots of different calibers but if I had to pick just one of my guns I’d probably keep my Winchester 70 extreme weather 30-06. I'll suggest to read here to get ideas on what should check before the right rifle for hunting. https://huntingprofy.com/what-should...rm-for-hunting
    Last edited by mvolcker; 06-12-2022 at 01:02 PM.

Black Bart

So what did you end up going with?

Quote Originally Posted by StrutnBPS View Post
    Black Bart

So what did you end up going with?
    He bought a boat. No more money for a rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by doe killer View Post
    He bought a boat. No more money for a rifle.
    Thought his wife bought the boat?