Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st Deer Rifle Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback. Next, school me on some scopes that won't require me to pawn off a kidney.
    I've got scopes that cost more than the gun they are on. You can buy a cheap rifle but don't buy a cheap scope. To bad the gander mountain closed you could usually get a pretty good deal in there.

Remington 700, Browning X-bolt, Savage 110 or Tikka T3. I'd say .270, 30-06 or .308 would be good rounds. Ammo should be plentiful.

I've got a Tikka M695 - 30-06 plus two fine scopes for sale in the TP we can make a deal on.

The M695 is the previous model to the T3 and has the heavier, more solid synthetic stock with a palm swell that is preferred by some. The rifle is about one lb heavier than the T3/T3X, which helps with the 30-06 recoil.

You can't go wrong if you want to go with a touch of style...
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    I've got a Tikka M695 - 30-06 plus two fine scopes for sale in the TP we can make a deal on.

The M695 is the previous model to the T3 and has the heavier, more solid synthetic stock with a palm swell that is preferred by some. The rifle is about one lb heavier than the T3/T3X, which helps with the 30-06 recoil.

You can't go wrong if you want to go with a touch of style...
    Don't forget to ask for a boat ride.

Quote Originally Posted by lil 2 sleepy View Post
    Tikka t3 308, or if on a Budget 308 ruger American. Get a good scope
    I have a T3 .308 and a ruger american compact. They will both fit the bill. I agree about getting a caliber that is common.
    Miner's Daughter's Coal Train 'Rosco'

"The only human quality he lacks is speech" -Alfred Brehm

Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I have a T3 .308 and a ruger american compact. They will both fit the bill. I agree about getting a caliber that is common.
    Why would anyone deviate from a common caliber?
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

This is a good scope for the money.

https://www.bushnell.com/riflescopes...EL4165BS3.html

I just bought a bergara ridge with an 18” barrel to shoot suppressed, very impressed. That being said my cheap ass Savage model 11 predator hunter is still the best shooting gun I’ve ever owned.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback. Next, school me on some scopes that won't require me to pawn off a kidney.
    If you had not spent all your money on the Freeman, you could have a nice scope
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

The world needs gatherers too.. but if you must, a 30-06 with core lokts.. you can buy a Leopold vx3 for inexpensive. There will be plenty of other things mentioned, you just have to chose if you're needy or not. It's a deer.

Ruger American ... you choose the caliber....7mm-08 would be dandy though.

The Savage I recommended will come with serviceable glass like a Bushnell. A good set of binos to go with that is probably wise. You need binos right off the bat more than you need a pricey scope.

You don't want to glass movement or unknown objects with your rifle scope. We all think there's no way a hunter will wind up where he doesn't belong until it happens to you.

While bear hunting one year, my brother wound up about 500 acres from where he said he would be and wound up in my crosshairs at the top of a ridge when I rifle-glassed a big object moving. I haven't hunted without binos [unless bow hunting] since then.

Bring me $1250.00 and I’ll sell you a NIB Schmidt & Bender Klassik 3-15X50 Illuminatex L4 reticle with turrets.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Begara B14, Tikka T3x, Savage 10 in .308 or 6.5CM. Own all three of you want to look at or shoot them. Quality optic is more essential.
    Very solid recommendations here.

As for scopes, you can pick up Night Force SHV for $1K from Euro Optics. They even have some demo models available at reduced prices.

A BAND for a scope?!?! Y'all cray.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Find you a Marlin dirty thirty and go do work.

And shoot from the hip and let that sweet sound fly

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Find you a Marlin dirty thirty and go do work.
    I got an old rusty marlin he can try out.

6.5 creedmore seems to be the most available these days but that or 7-08, 270, or 30-06 will get you started. Most of the major manufacturers have an entry level gun and all are good enough to kill a deer in SC. Look at those cal and select something in your price range you can live with. The big box stores will be having them on sale soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    And shoot from the hip and let that sweet sound fly